Apple M1 Ultra - 2nd highest multicore score, lost to 64-core AMD Threadripper.

TheReal1980
39 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

It’s unlikely to help with the disconnect issue but does following this help at all?

Yes, that is what at least allowed the initial directly listing to appear almost immediately, before it would hang even doing that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

Just found this too, but I don’t know if samba supports multichannel, never needed to look in to it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212277

SAMBA support both SMB Multi-Channel and SMB Direct. Not sure if they have transitioned from "experimental" or not, I last looked at these for SAMBA a few years ago. Either way both work and I have gotten both to work personally.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, that is what at least allowed the initial directly listing to appear almost immediately, before it would hang even doing that.

I’m out of ideas then. May sound silly but have you raised a Feedback Assistant ticket with Apple? They don’t always reply to them, but the more people use that to tell them there’s a problem it increases the slim chance an engineer who cares will see it.

23 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

I’m out of ideas then. May sound silly but have you raised a Feedback Assistant ticket with Apple? They don’t always reply to them, but the more people use that to tell them there’s a problem it increases the slim chance an engineer who cares will see it.

It seems to have been going on for a long time.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

@Alex Atkin UKit definitely has. I’ve just never run in to it myself and I’ve never quite understood why. I can only assume it’s down to how I tend to manage folder structures on my shared drives, because there’s not much else I tend to do differently.

Just now, Paul Thexton said:

@Alex Atkin UKit definitely has. I’ve just never run in to it myself and I’ve never quite understood why. I can only assume it’s down to how I tend to manage folder structures on my shared drives, because there’s not much else I tend to do differently.

Especially as they are talking about keeping your folders down to a few hundred files, I have the problem with less than that.  Literally if its more than can display in the file requester without scrolling, its a problem.

I had planned to try using AFP to see if its any different, in theory its installed and configured but I couldn't figure out how to connect to it instead of SMB because of Apples other caveat, not being able to type in the path.  I now see there should be a Connect to option somewhere.

18 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Especially as they are talking about keeping your folders down to a few hundred files, I have the problem with less than that.  Literally if its more than can display in the file requester without scrolling, its a problem.

Finder and Mac OS being very bad with SMB is why I don't let users control the top level of shares and put in place that top layer of folder structure, typically only a few folders. Like a folder for each department in the school etc.

Basically I force people to be tidy for their own sanity.

I've not had too massive problems though, but it's either been a Windows Server VM hosted on very fast underlying storage or a dedicated enterprise NAS system which comes with a lot of tweaks to SAMBA to give best possible experience, also along with NVDIMMs and NVMe cache as part of the system so also lightning fast comparatively.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I had planned to try using AFP to see if its any different, in theory its installed and configured but I couldn't figure out how to connect to it instead of SMB because of Apples other caveat, not being able to type in the path.  I now see there should be a Connect to option somewhere.

If Finder is the active app, hit. Command+k to get the connection dialog. (It's in the Finder menubar somewhere as well but as I never use it I can't remember where)

Type in afp://server.name.or.address, and click Connect

cmd+K in Finder is there since the dawn of the time and the beginning of the address specifies the protocol to use..

cmd+shift+G for local folders or mounted volumes, equally handy IMHO

4 hours ago, Dracarris said:

cmd+K in Finder is there since the dawn of the time and the beginning of the address specifies the protocol to use..

cmd+shift+G for local folders or mounted volumes, equally handy IMHO

Can't seem to get that to popup on my Mac Mini using a generic bluetooth keyboard, plus it doesn't solve that Finder in general is hiding the path.  Once a network folder is mounted, its still awkward navigating around it because I can't type the path.  If I need to go to a folder in the parent directory of where I am now, if its not in recent I have to go all the way back to Network, Server, Share and navigate to that folder which can take many more mouse clicks.  That's more mouse clicks just to get back into that share than it would take to get into the folder I want on any other OS.

Plus any UI function that can only be accessed via prior knowledge is utterly moronic.

I was always told MacOS is easy to use, this is the complete opposite.  What worries me is Windows has seemed to be trying to move in a similar direction for a while now and is now more clunky to get to mapped network shares.  This is not progress.

20 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can't seem to get that to popup on my Mac Mini using a generic bluetooth keyboard, plus it doesn't solve that Finder in general is hiding the path.  Once a network folder is mounted, its still awkward navigating around it because I can't type the path.  If I need to go to a folder in the parent directory of where I am now, if its not in recent I have to go all the way back to Network, Server, Share and navigate to that folder which can take many more mouse clicks.  That's more mouse clicks just to get back into that share than it would take to get into the folder I want on any other OS.

Yeah absolute path navigation is a PITA in macOS and as you already noticed SMB/network drives in general. That plus Finder are the biggest downsides of macOS IMHO.

So you absolutely need to get the two shortcuts mentioned to work, even with comparable GUI functions they are super handy.

If you have mounted a network drive, use CMD+shift+G and enter /Volumes/ then tab or enter, this is were all network drives get mounted and are much quicker to access.

Yes it sucks. Regarding network drives and explorer, Windows is leaps ahead.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can't seem to get that to popup on my Mac Mini using a generic bluetooth keyboard, plus it doesn't solve that Finder in general is hiding the path.

Windows key / alt can sometimes behave arse about face, with a Finder window open try either win+k or alt+k, I can’t remember which way round option/command maps to win/alt.

You can change the view type to columns which will let you quickly navigate back, or you can follow this

4 hours ago, Paul Thexton said:

Windows key / alt can sometimes behave arse about face, with a Finder window open try either win+k or alt+k, I can’t remember which way round option/command maps to win/alt.

You can change the view type to columns which will let you quickly navigate back, or you can follow this

Yeah Windows, Ctrl, Alt, none worked on that keyboard for some reason.  At least the latter worked though, still trying to get my head into remembering there are options at the top of the screen even when a small window is open, its rather counter-intuitive after years of using PC but I admit that's on me as I know MacOS has always worked like that and I do respect them for keeping it that way rather than Microsoft who change everything on a whim, routinely confusing their entire user base.

Is there no way to turn on the Path bar in file requesters?  That seems stupidly inconsistent UI design.

Also gotta love how there IS an option to add folders to the side bar, but like Path bar its only visible in the main Finder menu, not right click, not in the Finder window at all that I can see.

Also, who designed the Columns view?  Seems a great idea, except it only shows your current session so once you've closed a file requester it forgets all the previous columns, making it useless for navigating back out for your next file which is when you're most likely to need it.

I mean its not like navigating the same volume is really the problem, they have that covered thankfully.  Its when trying to jump into a different volume that things get awkward.

Sorry, I've really taken this thread somewhat off-topic, though these are things people should consider before jumping into the Apple ecosystem for the first time.  I knew there would be teething problems (its not my first time on MacOS) but I didn't expect issues to be with things I do on a daily basis like file navigation and network shares.

Is there no way to turn on the Path bar in file requesters?  That seems stupidly inconsistent UI design.

Also gotta love how there IS an option to add folders to the side bar, but like Path bar its only visible in the main Finder menu, not right click, not in the Finder window at all that I can see.

Also, who designed the Columns view?  Seems a great idea, except it only shows your current session so once you've closed a file requester it forgets all the previous columns, making it useless for navigating back out for your next file which is when you're most likely to need it.

Finder is trash, as I pointed out before, and I don't get why Apple is not finally fixing this.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Just drag what folder you want in the sidebar over to it, make sure to place it where the line indicates it will go (rather than highlighting an existing entry)

DragToSidebar.gif.437bc8e349f92120f795074d30786e9a.gif

On 3/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I found a post claiming that hitting the option key shows the path bar in open/save dialogs, but it didn't work for me. I tend to just use cmd+shift+g for typing in a particular path, or for regularly accessed folders I use the side bar.

58 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

I tend to just use cmd+shift+g for typing in a particular path, or for regularly accessed folders I use the side bar.

The importance of this shortcut cannot be overstressed 😛

I just spens 20 minutes of my life reading this topic, and dont know why.

In my opinion Aapple is not there in software support yet. And also our School to switch to macOS would be very hard and could take months adn countless bugs and fixes to get working. 

In Finland we have Linux based operating system called ABITTI. You boot into that with USB and start doing your exams. And the bets part if that it does not work in any Apple products. Like so many students buy those trash MacBooks and have to switch to Windows based, because they cant graduate otherwise.  

Im quite interested in Apples performance, but I hate to switch to other OS and I also hate that you cant upgrade the m1 or m1 ultra at all really.

And who has comed up with the " if you buy Apple, you do not need to upgrade the parts as often as you do with Windows based machines". Seems like every Boomer is sayign that including my dad. And i can say that is very wrong, actually Apple has shown that they will make older products slower, in order for people to upgrade.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Im quite interested in Apples performance, but I hate to switch to other OS and I also hate that you cant upgrade the m1 or m1 ultra at all really.

The Asahi linux project is working on bringing Linux to Apple Silicon Macs and so far they've done a really good job.

Stuff that works/doesn't work on the alpha release

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

In Finland we have Linux based operating system called ABITTI. You boot into that with USB and start doing your exams.

Interesting approach, I guess it works well in minimizing cheating.

And the bets part if that it does not work in any Apple products.

If anything - it is worst part, since it limits what devices students can use.

And who has comed up with the " if you buy Apple, you do not need to upgrade the parts as often as you do with Windows based machines"

If machine has an adequate performance and works with the current/relevant software then the need for an upgrade is questionable, regardless of OS.

An exaggerated way of thinking: Apple HW/SW is a bundle, so it works or it doesn't, while on pc side there are too many variables, like a random part manufacturer who decided to stop supporting HW/SW.

And i can say that is very wrong, actually Apple has shown that they will make older products slower, in order for people to upgrade.

Sources?

11 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

I guess it works well in minimizing cheating.

exactly. It is good idea, but not so well done.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

10 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

Pretty sure they’re referring to Batterygate

They are probably referring to that, but they are completely wrong when they say "in order for people to upgrade".

The link you posted explains it very well but for those with short attention spans, this is the timeline:

*Reports of iPhones randomly shutting down starts pouring in.

*Apple notices that it has to do with the battery not being able to supply the CPU with enough power. A normal thing since batteries degrade over time.

*Apple releases a patch that makes it so that the CPU will slowly lower its frequency as the battery degrades.

*People found out that the CPU clocks were lower if they had an old battery, and replacing the battery restored the CPU frequency.

*Now, over 5 years later, we still have people saying Apple did it to harm consumers rather than the actual intention, which was to help consumers.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

*People found out that the CPU clocks were lower if they had an old battery, and replacing the battery restored the CPU frequency.

And this is the giveaway. If it were about throttling older phones then changing the battery wouldn’t have mattered.

But hey people are determined to unearth the evil wizard behind Apple’s veneer and no amount of facts or logic will matter to them.

There are plenty of anti consumer things done by big tech companies like Apple, trying to find ones that aren’t even there is just a symptom of rabid misplaced hatred.

@LAwLz  @Paul Thexton

Hard disagree.

If it truly had been done for the well being of the consumer, they would have publicized it. Anyone with a modicum of common sense would've seen what a great opportunity for good PR that was.

"Hey, we're modifying how the processor in your phone works to ensure the device will last as long as possible, because we care for our customers and the longevity of our products!".

Like, I actually agree with the idea. It's a good idea! Limit the performance to limit power draw to make older devices last longer and remain stable. I very much like it! - as long as it's clearly communicated to the users.

But they didn't communicate the change. They hid it.

They didn't say a word of it until the shit (Class Action Lawsuits) hit the fan (courtroom).

That to me speaks to either gross incompetence, or malice.

And given how rarely Apple truly is incompetent, I'm going with malice.