Does the cpu in xbox/playstation have integrated graphic cards?

nelska

I know it comes with a cpu and a gpu but I doubt they would include an integrated cpu. I'm sure its a version of a processor with no integrated graphics.. Am I right. When I try to find the specs it doesn't say anything about it so I am assuming although I did read about how xbox one was originally suppose to come with integrated graphics but i think by that they just meant a graphics card too because box is weird like that. 

it looks like one you would find on a laptop, similar chip style but I am pretty sure they are integrated

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

Technically, the PS5 and Xbox Series X don't have CPUs or GPUs, that have an SOC, which is a combination CPU and GPU. So technically, it only has integrated graphics

1 minute ago, MistahHaskins said:

it looks like one you would find on a laptop, similar chip style but I am pretty sure they are integrated

very interesting. so the os runs on integrated graphics even on xbox dashboard. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Technically, the PS5 and Xbox Series X don't have CPUs or GPUs, that have an SOC, which is a combination CPU and GPU. So technically, it only has integrated graphics

ok. so theres only one graphics driver. ect. 

Just now, nelska said:

Should be, I remember hearing about it

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

Just now, nelska said:

Only one graphics device in the system, and it's built into the CPUPS5 teardown video: Sony shows off SSD slot and other components - Polygon

Only one piece of silicon for the CPU and GPU, and a smaller one for the IO. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Only one graphics device in the system, and it's built into the CPUPS5 teardown video: Sony shows off SSD slot and other components - Polygon

Only one piece of silicon for the CPU and GPU, and a smaller one for the IO. 

aww, ok so its literally just a cpu with integrated graphics then. thank you. I couldnt remember correctly. for some reason i believe i knew that since 2001. 

46 minutes ago, nelska said:

aww, ok so its literally just a cpu with integrated graphics then. thank you. I couldnt remember correctly. for some reason i believe i knew that since 2001. 

Yes, but the RAM and general architecture of how it works particularly the OS means it behaves quite differently from say Windows on a similar chip.  In theory at least, its optimised around the CPU and GPU sharing the RAM in a way Windows is not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Basically yes, a console is just a CPU with integrated graphics. The PS5 / XBSX are basically downclocked 3700X CPUs with an RDNA2 iGPU.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Basically yes, a console is just a CPU with integrated graphics. The PS5 / XBSX are basically downclocked 3700X CPUs with an RDNA2 iGPU.

A nice one at that. Xbox Series S: 20 CUs. The Steam Deck has 8.

22 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

A nice one at that. Xbox Series S: 20 CUs. The Steam Deck has 8.

Yes it's better than most APU's, but still a pretty midrange GPU performance overall.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes it's better than most APU's, but still a pretty midrange GPU performance overall.

Well yeah, but it's the Series S. Not the X. Midrange performance is expected.

12 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Well yeah, but it's the Series S. Not the X. Midrange performance is expected.

Never said it was bad, just trying to keep expectations in check.

The proper term for a PS4/Xbox One and newer console iGPU/CPU would be an "APU." Basically, an APU setup allows for a faster "sharing" of resources between the CPU/GPU compared to an iGPU on a normal CPU. 

The main difference from an IGPU, is the way the CPU and GPU can transfer information. The chip has the CPU and GPU on the same single die like some intel CPUs but AMD’s APUs support Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) which allow for the CPU and GPU to be on the same bus and thus reducing communication latency. The steps are reduced for each instruction as the memory and tasks are shared.

APU Diagram AMD APU Diagram

Here we can see the shared memory and the GPU and CPU on the same bus.

Source :)

1 hour ago, Colty said:

The proper term for a PS4/Xbox One and newer console iGPU/CPU would be an "APU." Basically, an APU setup allows for a faster "sharing" of resources between the CPU/GPU compared to an iGPU on a normal CPU. 

The main difference from an IGPU, is the way the CPU and GPU can transfer information. The chip has the CPU and GPU on the same single die like some intel CPUs but AMD’s APUs support Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) which allow for the CPU and GPU to be on the same bus and thus reducing communication latency. The steps are reduced for each instruction as the memory and tasks are shared.

APU Diagram AMD APU Diagram

Here we can see the shared memory and the GPU and CPU on the same bus.

Source :)

neat. ty!