PSU for Ryzen PC

MilanRS
11 minutes ago, Juular said:

That could definitely be the case, but that doesn't make what he said invalid. Seasonic is a small OEM in comparison and they actually have less control over their production because they outsource more things what other OEMs don't. And Corsair doing their own layer of QA/QC on top, regardless of the OEM of their products means that they have more control over their products than brands that just use outsourced off-the-shelf solutions like Antec, EVGA, Phanteks etc. And the fact that despite Seasonic are always ready to throw some Prime Titaniums to random YT'ers for 'reviews', there are very few reviews on their budget offerings, not to mention proper ones - also still stands.

I respect you a great deal, because you explain things to people who don't understand everything there is to know about something.  Rather than telling them to go back to sleep like@jonnyGURU which actually helps the community here.  Seriously, I really appreciate that about you.

We all understand certain complicated things, and shouldn't treat those who don't like children.  I for example make my living an an OpenBSD developer, but I would never belittle someone because they didn't understand what I do 100%. I guess that's how some seek self-validation.

2 hours ago, chocolatekarma said:

I respect you a great deal, because you explain things to people who don't understand everything there is to know about something.  Rather than telling them to go back to sleep like@jonnyGURU which actually helps the community here.  Seriously, I really appreciate that about you.

We all understand certain complicated things, and shouldn't treat those who don't like children.  I for example make my living an an OpenBSD developer, but I would never belittle someone because they didn't understand what I do 100%. I guess that's how some seek self-validation.

You might feel like you were treated like a child by me.  I understand that and for that I am sorry.  But re-read what you said.  You stated it as FACT that an OEM with the own factory is going to have QA, through their own direction, and someone that "uses" that factory would be completely void of any QA.  Please do, read back your own post, and maybe you can understand my frustration.

The OpenBSD example is a good one.  You wouldn't belittle someone that doesn't understand what you would do.  But how would you feel about someone that PRETENDS to know what you do and assumes they know how to do it better?

35 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You might feel like you were treated like a child by me.  I understand that and for that I am sorry.  But re-read what you said.  You stated it as FACT that an OEM with the own factory is going to have QA, through their own direction, and someone that "uses" that factory would be completely void of any QA.  Please do, read back your own post, and maybe you can understand my frustration.

Well, it is factual that if you manufacture something yourself, then you do have total control over QC.  I simply didn't know that that Seasonic didn't make their own boards.  And you mention that they outsource that to others, but just like Corsair, EVGA etc wouldn't they have control over how those boards are produced by others.  ie. wouldn't they have a certain standard that needs to be met?

And would it not be accurate to say that since Seasonic makes most of the PSU themselves that they would have more control overall of QC than Corsair, EVGA, Cooler Master etc?  If I'm wrong please correct me.  I'm not assuming I know, but rather just using common sense. 

I have nothing against Corsair at all, but I'm just very partial to the Seasonic Focus units.

1 hour ago, chocolatekarma said:

And would it not be accurate to say that since Seasonic makes most of the PSU themselves that they would have more control overall of QC than Corsair, EVGA, Cooler Master etc? 

Nope.

You're using the word "factual" but are also missing the point that bean counters have the final say.  So there's often a large disconnect between "can" and "does".  The point you're missing is you think "can = does". 

I have many examples.

The "customer" (i.e. Corsair, CoolerMaster, beQuiet, etc.) will request what ATEs (8000, 6000, or just SM8800s) need to be on the line, how long burn in needs to be, if DMTBF needs to be performed, if a shop floor system needs implementation, sample size of outgoing QC checks, etc.  Even companies that will make PSUs under their own brand name will cut costs in some of these places to increase their profit margins.  Period.

I will tell you that in MOST, not all, cases Chroma 6000's are a luxury item, DMTBF is NOT performed, burn in is only 2-4 hours (as opposed to 6), OQC is limited to one pallet per shift, and that a shop floor system is not used.

Example A:  Burn in chamber capacity is only so much that an entire shift's production cannot be burned in while the next shift is working on production.  Brand C asks manufacturer that they cannot use them unless they double their burn in capacity.

Example E:  Major manufacturer has six lines.  Only one has Chroma 8000.  Brand C asks to use line with 8000 for production.   Is told to pound sand because that line is reserved for server PSU customer that nets them much higher profits.  Use Chroma 6000 lines or go home (went home).

Example G:  DMTBF of 80 units are required.  This is at a cost of nearly $20000 for three wattages by the way.  Burn in chambers for DMTBF break down.  Can't be repaired for two weeks.  Factory G is told to hold production until chambers are repaired/replaced.  Other products leaving the factory continue to leave factory because they use the burn in chambers for production burn in and not DMTBF.

Example S:  Factory audit, pre-production.  PCBAs are already racked.  No audit was done at PCBA factory.  Initial walk through:  soldering iron temperatures too hot.  Levels of silver too low, copper too high.  Add on daughter cards do not have fixtures installed prior to going through wave solder to keep PCBs straight as they go through the flow.  Brand C Product engineering team goes out to have fixtures made to keep daughter cards upright on PCBA

Example H:  MLCCs to close to PCBA edge.  Experiencing cracking during PCB separation process.  R&D team moves in to rearrange PCB layout to put MLCC's in different, less vulnerable positions.

11 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

@jonnyGURUHave you toured the Seasonic factory?

More than just "toured".  I've been there dozens of times. 

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

More than just "toured".  I've been there dozens of times. 

Were they trying to recruit you away from Corsair or something?

19 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

Were they trying to recruit you away from Corsair or something?

No.  Why?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  Why?

Because you work for Corsair, and they're not Corsair.  The only other thing that would make sense is that they make parts for Corsair.

1 minute ago, chocolatekarma said:

Because you work for Corsair, and they're not Corsair.  The only other thing that would make sense is that they make parts for Corsair.

I think you're reading too far into it. It's not uncommon to go to another companies' site. There is another large mine near us. People from there come over here to see how we do things/get advice and we go over there. When I say large, both are over 150,000 ounces of gold a year corporate mines. We get their corporate coming through from time to time and they get ours. Policies tend to match pretty closely from one to the other, down to travel and how the pandemic is handled. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

34 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

I guess you don't recall when Seasonic made the AX (non-i) series for Corsair not too long ago.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I guess you don't recall when Seasonic made the AX (non-i) series for Corsair not too long ago.

I don't recall because I never knew that.  I'm a BSD developer, so about 99% of my tech energy goes into that.

24 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

I don't recall because I never knew that.  I'm a BSD developer, so about 99% of my tech energy goes into that.

Fair enough.  I do remember not long ago you thought bitFenix was garbage because you didn't recognize the name. 

But.. that goes into my previous point... I don't pretend to "dabble" in BSD, sooo..... 😄

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Fair enough.  I do remember not long ago you thought bitFenix was garbage because you didn't recognize the name. 

But.. that goes into my previous point... I don't pretend to "dabble" in BSD, sooo..... 😄

Point well taken. 

5 hours ago, chocolatekarma said:

Corsair uses multiple OEMs, in case you haven't caught it, the examples Jon have been talking above are actually all real examples from the experience of working with those OEMs. Corsair engineers (ones that work with PSUs anyway, idk about other departments) and Jon himself babysit all OEMs they work with, including Seasonic, but not anymore it seems, since AX is discontinued, partly due to the fact that Corsair/Jon manages to build better products with CWT and Great Wall.

So back to the 'OEM has more control than the brand' you keep repeating, again, that may be the case with some brands like EVGA, go read Puget Systems reliability report, Super Flower's own PSUs somehow have lower failure rate than the same PSUs but rebranded by EVGA, i guess because all EVGA cares about is profit so they've asked Super Flower to tone down some stuff and make it cheaper. But Corsair is the exception, they tell OEMs exactly what forms of QC they should perform, generally more robust than some OEMs are doing for the products they sell under their own brand, and Corsair also has people on site to control that. Then there are engineers testing received products pre-production and in-production, with quite robust testing programs too (i had a chance to look at Corsair Chroma report, it's looooong, not the usual stuff you'll get from the stock Chroma). For example, they also test the PSUs they rate for 50°C at 55°C, while Seasonic in contrast only rates their PSUs at 40°C, even super expensive Prime TX, maybe because making sure their stuff doesn't blow up at 50°C would've been too much work. Prime TX apparently doesn't still, since Corsair AX was basically that with some rather minor changes (because Seasonic refused to do anything major) and it is rated for 50°C, but you see where it's going. OEMs would only have better control if the brand outsourcing their products doesn't care.

So in the end it's not about whether the PSU is oursourced or not, it's made by an OEM anyway by definition, and whether it's then being rebranded or not is irrelevant to it's quality. What's relevant is whether the OEM and/or the brand which outsources their products have actually made sure that it's a good product or not. I wish more brands were talking about what they're doing with geeks like us, but sadly Jon is basically the only one who does, that puts some respect in Corsair PSUs even without all the actual work he does to make sure Corsair has good PSUs. And don't get me wrong, Corsair had some bad PSUs (most of which pre-Jon's involvement), and very well could still have in the future, people make mistakes and burn out, so i don't have illusions that everything he does is perfect, and that Corsair would always be good by default. But even if the two PSUs in question (Corsair CX-F and Seasonic Core) both haven't had any reviews on them, i would've still picked CX-F because i know Jon would make sure that it's a good product, but since CX-F also actually has professional detailed reviews on it (by Aris, [1] [2] [3]), and Seasonic Core doesn't - that's not even a question.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

14 hours ago, chocolatekarma said:

I'm not assuming I know, but rather just using common sense. 

Common sense doesn't work, if the person, people or stuff you're comparing is something you don't have a lot/enough in "common" with.

I have bought Corsair CX550F yesterday at local store for 67 euros. There was cheaper online but because of warranty i went to local PC store.

I really like PSU, i even like RGB and i am not a fan of that stuff. PSU is almost silent, i am impressed but i had cheap PSU before so i will be probably impressed with cheaper ones also 🙂 PSU fan makes less noise then AMD Wraith Stealth and Arctic Cooling F12 fan and they are almost silent too.

Does not fit properly in cheap case but only a little bit because of RGB button and i think that is a cheap case flaw or they could move button toward a middle just a little. I will buy case next month probably but it can work this way. I really like quality of build, looks great to me. I have found a video and they talk about green gold capacitors and all other components looks better quality, that is what reviewer said. Also reviewer like this PSU.

Nice PSU overall and i will keep updating for a long time if i dont forget. I dont like when someone ask for advice and they dont share their experiance after even people ask.

Thanks for replies

Cheers!

7 hours ago, MilanRS said:

. There was cheaper online but because of warranty i went to local PC store.

Hate to break it to you, but the warranty is the same no matter where you buy it.

Five years is five years.

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Hate to break it to you, but the warranty is the same no matter where you buy it.

Five years is five years.

I know, but If i buy cheaper online i should send back PSU and i rather pay 7 euros more for warranty sending just by going to store and comparing to prices of other manufactures this is great deal already. In the same store white one was more then 100 euros and i would buy online only if i chose that one.

In the store they told me that warranty is only two years and then i told them that is not true and should be five. They checked and answered our warranty is two years and you have suppliers warranty of five years. if i didnt checked on forumes and on yours site i would think that i get only two years warranty.

i will not need warranty because i have more then 15 years old power supplies not in use but still working and this is best PSU i ever had 🙂

2 hours ago, MilanRS said:

I know, but If i buy cheaper online i should send back PSU and i rather pay 7 euros more for warranty sending just by going to store and comparing to prices of other manufactures this is great deal already. In the same store white one was more then 100 euros and i would buy online only if i chose that one.

In the store they told me that warranty is only two years and then i told them that is not true and should be five. They checked and answered our warranty is two years and you have suppliers warranty of five years. if i didnt checked on forumes and on yours site i would think that i get only two years warranty.

i will not need warranty because i have more then 15 years old power supplies not in use but still working and this is best PSU i ever had 🙂

Right.  The consumer laws only require the reseller to honor warranty for two years.  After two years, you have to go back to the manufacturer.  It's like that for everything.

• 1 month later...

Hello, me again 🙂

Just to share my impressions of PSU. I almost finished my built with RTX 3050 Zotac Twin Edge OC and i bought nice cheap case for about 50 euros. The case is really good despite the price. In person was much better then Asus TUF GT301...

This PSU with RTX 3050 and Ryzen 5 1600 af is stil quiet and more then enough for this build. This PSU can probably support much stronger GPU. With this configurations thermals of PSU are great, like it isn't working. Watching a video or play the game its look the same.

• 3 months later...

Just to share experiance with this power suplie like i said and to ask question.

From the day i bought it i started to hear buzzing noise but i was thinking that this noise coming from some other component. After changing almost all parts the noise was still present. 

I was thinking that this noise coming from PSU fan because noise can be heard only if you put your ear close to PSU.

This morning it was little louder but nothing important, anyway i was starting to look for explenation on the internet and i have seen different explenations, some of them i didnt like.

I lowered the voltage by just turning on ''Power saver'' mod in windows and i turned off You tube and nose stoped. 

Even if i only looking videos on YT i can hear this buzing sound.

PSU is cold like it is not working so no overheating, there is no dust because i have filter on pc case and i clean filter often, and i can see that everything is clean.

No PC shutdowns or anything just this buzzing sound. Probably nothing important but maybe someone with more experiance can explain.

I am little woried because i am building this PC for a long time and i have overpaid GPU so...

PSU is Corsair CX550F also recomended in the list on the forum and it is good rated. My pc also can not pull much power and i have good overvoltage or power spikes protection cable.

Probably some coilwine from the GPU or PSU. Totally normal and depends on the combination of parts, load and the quality of the mains.

It is not GPU because i had different graphic card with much lower power consumption and same buzing sound. Also noise clearly coming from PSU. 

Yes depending on the load noise is 🙂 sound like Yoda but my English...

Even on low load like YT watching noise is starting to apear. Only if PC is idling on power saver mode noise is not present.

I asumed that is nothing just to be sure.

PSU is in every other way super, there was no heat even if i play games on hot summer days. Noise from fan also can not be noticed anytime.

Thanks for reply