Limited and confusing market.

GrandFatMan

So, I'm looking at buying a new hard drive for the first time in the better part of 5 plus years. And the market seems to be extremely limited. 

My options are 2 and 4 tb barracudas (4tb being only the 5400 rpm model available) and a smattering of others in lower capacities. 

Not sure whether to go for the 7200 2tb or the 5400 4tb. Anyone with any experience with either of these? 

Depends on what you need really, is it just for longer term storage/mass storage? Both hard drives are fine, most modern hard drives are okay these days. 7200rpm is definitely recommend if you need it for daily stuff. Also don't forget if you are really going to be using it, nand based storage is dirt cheap these days.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Depends on what capacity you want. 

I would seriously recommend a WD Blue (or really anything else) over a Seagate drive as well.

The problem is, unless I'm buying second hand which I'm not sure I want to do, the wd blue are limited. And more expensive but I was thinking of waiting. Because I've had a bad experience with a barracuda in the past. But the wd blue are also only 5400rpm and it would be for game storage as well as files that may require constant access

3 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

The problem is, unless I'm buying second hand which I'm not sure I want to do, the wd blue are limited. And more expensive but I was thinking of waiting. Because I've had a bad experience with a barracuda in the past. But the wd blue are also only 5400rpm and it would be for game storage as well as files that may require constant access

I use a WD Blue 2tb for games and it works fine, around 50-70% usage when loading and hangs around 20-30% when playing games. 

13 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

What do you mean by limited? 

And why are you only looking at barracuda and blue? WD has a whole rainbow of colors, Toshiba has at least 3 different drive lines, and seagate also has multiple variations options. Sky is the limit. 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

And why are you only looking at barracuda and blue? WD has a whole rainbow of colors, Toshiba has at least 3 different drive lines, and seagate also has multiple variations options. Sky is the limit. 

Limited by, everything is out of stock or only a few remaining. Look for a hard drive on amazon, and the only thing is barracuda unless you specifically search for something else, and then it's only limited stock in certain sizes. I'm in the UK. 

20 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

Limited by, everything is out of stock or only a few remaining. Look for a hard drive on amazon, and the only thing is barracuda unless you specifically search for something else, and then it's only limited stock in certain sizes. I'm in the UK. 

Try other retailers. 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Try other retailers. 

You don't think I haven't? Here are the two of the biggest retailers for electronics. Ebuyer, and curry's. This is ebuyer entire stock of 4tb drives. And curry's entire stock of "internal" drives all together. 

Screenshot_20220307_155052.jpg

Screenshot_20220307_154733_com.android.chrome_edit_129322366334954.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

So, unfortunately, no. The sky isn't the limit. When an electronics retailers has 0.drives available, and your choice of 3 at the other. It really isn't. 

5 hours ago, GrandFatMan said:

So, unfortunately, no. The sky isn't the limit. When an electronics retailers has 0.drives available, and your choice of 3 at the other. It really isn't. 

Why are your options only 2 or 4 tb? 

18 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Why are your options only 2 or 4 tb? 

Because that's all there really is for what I need. 2 isn't enough, 6 is too much and out of budget. , and 3 isn't good value for money. I'm considering second hand at this point.