Why is my SSD causing bad stuttering while gaming ?

noobbuilder

One of my Samsung 860 evo ssd's causes stuttering on games installed on it. Every few 1-20 secs the games will micro freeze for a second or two along with audio. I have 5 ssd's on this pc and this is the only ssd that does that.

Crystaldiskinfo says 99% health and its not thermal related because it will do it even at 27 degrees celsius.

Is there any obvious things that can cause this sort of behavior ?

Would having 2x of the same brand of external ssd enclosure cause this ?

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case

If you're using external enclosures, the most likely culprit is shared bandwidth of the USB bus.

No, the same brand would be preferred actually.

I have two "USB attached Mass Storage Devices" (as seen in device manager), and one has a Seagate the other has a Western digital drive. Neither are SSD's. I don't tend to use them simultaneously, but I've also never had anything like this happen because even if I used both drives at the same time (there's actually 5 on this one USB hub) there is no way to max it out because they're mechanical.

Now if they were all SSD's, you'd be in trouble. Since USB 3.0 bandwidth is 500MB/sec (5gbit) only ONE SSD could ever use the USB bandwidth at a time. 

If you are using SSD's to play from, they should be M2 SSD's on the motherboard (or a 4 lane PCIe slot.)  USB drives don't permit write-caching by default, so any writes to the drive will be impaired. That's the main downside to external drive enclosures. So if the thing you're playing has any kind of savegame/savestate/auto-save within it's own installation directory, then that could explain it.

Thanks for the info  and yes they are ssd's but they are plugged into a 3.1 gen 2 port , enclosure and cable . i do use them only one at a time though so maybe i will try just plugging one in at a time and rebooting and see if it still stutters.

8700k , 32gb ram , 2080 ti ftw3 ultra , msi gaming m5 , 7.1 kilpsch rp series , denon srh750 , sony 65x900f, 27tb's hdd's+ssd's , cooler master h500p modded case