Peak Peek - Apple officially announces new SE, new iPad Air, M1 Ultra, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Lightwreather
Go to solution Solved by DeeKay86,

Summary

My comprehensive notes from todays Apple Special Event.

Here we go...

Apple Special Event - 8th March 2022

— Tim Cook on stage.

• Starting with AppleTV+.
  • Talking about movies on AppleTV+ getting nominated for awards etc.
  • Apple Original Films: Coda, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Spirited, Luck, Argylle - Seems they have recruited every huge actor for these new Original movies. Pretty impressive!
  • “Something Exciting to share” - Friday Night Baseball - coming to AppleTV+. 2 games that you can only see on AppleTV+.

— Lets talk iPhone!

• Worlds most advanced mobile operating system. A15 processor etc.
  • Introducing 2 new finishes for the iPhone 13/Pro… the leak was true. It’s GREEN. I’m not a huge fan.
  • Pre-Order the new Green this Friday. Launch March 18th.

— Lets talk Apple Silicon - iPhone SE!

• Talking about how the current A15 is best in class etc.
  • A15 Bionic is coming to the NEW iPhone SE (The leak was true… again).
  • More new users have been added to using iPhone than any previous generation (pew pew pew Android lol).

— Francesca Sweet on screen now:

• Talking about the iPhone SE.
  • Talking about the A15 Bionic and how it makes the iPhone SE awesome…
  • I don’t need to take notes on what the A15 Bionic can do… the processor is what we already have in our current iPhone 13/Pro/MAX models.
  • iPhone SE is in 3 colours - Midnight, Starlight and Product Red.
  • Toughest Glass in a smartphone, ever - Front and Back.
  • Same glass as iPhone 13/Pro/MAX.
  • It has TouchID.
  • Better battery life than before.
  • 5G.
  • 12MP Camera (single lens on back).
  • Now she is talking about iOS15. We know all this. Stop wasting my time lol.
  • Smart HDR4.
  • $429 - Pre-Order this Friday. Launch March 18th! Wow that’s cheap!!

— iPad:

• iPad AIR update (yay even this was leaked. Is nothing secret anymore?)

— Angellina on screen now:

• Performance: M1 is coming to iPad AIR!! Wow ok nice - this was only on the new iPad Pro before! Badass.
  • Faster than the fastest competitor.
  • 2x faster than the best selling laptop.
  • She’s talking a lot about the M1 processor now. We know all this already, the M1 is not new (still mega impressive though, crushes the competition).
  • 500 nits.
  • Front camera is 12MP Ultra-Wide! Supports Centre Stage! Nice!!
  • Connectivity - 5G.
  • USB-C port is now 2x faster.
  • Compatible with the Smart Keyboard folio etc.
  • Also supports Apple Pencil 2.0.
  • iPadOS 15 - we already have this so I won’t go in to it too much.
  • New release of iMovie on iPad - looks pretty cool - coming next month.
  • 100% recycled aluminium. 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.
  • Crazy how this new iPad Air is faster than my iPad Pro, and now has the same family of processor as my MacBook Pro lol. Ah, what a time to be alive.
  • Space Grey, Starlight, Pink, Purple, Blue.
  • From $599 - 64GB/256GB (damn that’s cheap for an M1 tablet!)
  • Pre-Order Friday, Launch March 18th!

— Mac!

• Talking about how M1/M1Pro/M1Max MacBooks have no equal. He’s right you know lol.

— John Ternus on screen now talking about Mac.

• M1 ULTRA announced! - Jeez man I just bought the M1Max MacBook Pro for gods sake.
  • This is “for the desktop” - phew!!
  • Starts with M1Max… ok let’s see where this is going!
  • M1Max “has a secret!”
  • Wow, M1Max has a die-to-die connectivity feature!! They can connect 2 M1Max chips to make an ULTRA Processor!
  • UltraFusion Architecture!
  • 2.5TB/s!
  • More than 4x performance of competition!
  • Massive bandwidth and efficiency!
  • 114Billion Transistors - Most EVER in a computer Chip.
  • 800GB/s - 10x faster than the latest PC chip!
  • 128GB Unified Memory!!!! Holy crap.
  • 20-core CPU. 16 High Performance and 4 High Efficiency.
  • 64-Core GPU. 8x faster than M1.
  • 32-Core Neural Engine cores.
  • 2x capable Media Engine (wow).
  • Industry leading performance per watt.
  • Uses 65% less power for more performance compared to PC equivalent!
  • This is game changing.
  • Industry leading security.
  • Software see’s the M1Ultra as a single piece of silicon!
  • Developers are now talking about the M1Ultra. They all love it. Surprised? Nope.

— Here we go - Talking about “The Studio”. The leak is obviously real lol.

• Introducing and announcing… the MAC STUDIO!! - and STUDIO DISPLAY.
  • Ok that is pretty stunning. Wow.
  • Uses M1Max and M1ULTRA.

— Colleen Novielli on screen now.

• Design: Exterior is 7.7inches Square. 3.7Inches high. Single piece of Aluminium.
  • Sucks in air at the base.
  • 2 fans at the top.
  • Rear exhaust.
  • It is super efficient and quiet. You will barely ever hear it.
  • Connectivity: 4 Thunderbolt 4 ports.
  • 10GB Ethernet (nice!!)
  • 2x USB-A.
  • HDMI.
  • Pro-Audio 3.5mm jack.
  • WiFi 6.
  • Bluetooth 5.
  • SDXC-Card Reader at front.
  • 2x USB-C 19Gbps at front / Thunderbolt 4.
  • 4x Pro Display XDR support + 4K TV.
  • Performance: 50% faster than Mac Pro with Xeon - Ouch to everyone who bought that one.
  • 90% faster than 16-core Mac Pro with Xeon and 60% faster than the Mac Pro with 28-core Xeon! Wtf seriously wow.
  • Ok we get it, M1Ultra is INSANE lol - this is just embarrassing the competition at this point. Wow.
  • 48GB Video Memory! WTF.
  • Up to 128GB Unified Memory.
  • 7.4GB/s SSD - up to 8TB!
  • M1Ultra 800GB/s memory bandwidth. (400GB/s for M1Max version).
  • 18 steams of 8K ProRes 4.2.2 video. No other computer in the world can do this. Holy hell.
  • M1Max Mac Studio is 3.4x faster than the fastest iMac.
  • M1Ultra Mac Studio is 80% faster!
  • I have to say, the Mac Studio is a stunning bit of kit. It’s so damn sexy! I’m happy with my M1Max MacBook Pro though! Woop!
  • Uses far less energy than competitors. 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.

— Talking Mac Studio Display: Nicole on screen now.

• Design: All screen design - but it has bezels - (pretty big bezels…!)
  • Slim profile.
  • 30 degrees of tilt.
  • You can add a tilt/height stand if you like (extra add-on).
  • VESA adapter option (extra add-on lol).
  • 27” 14.7million 218PPI. 5K Retina!
  • 600 nits.
  • P3 wide colour gamut.
  • TrueTone.
  • Anti-Reflective coating.
  • Nano-texture glass option (add-on haha).
  • A13 Bionic is BUILT IN to the display - surprising. Pretty cool!
  • Camera and Audio system. 12MP Ultra-Wide (same as iPad).
  • Supports Centre Stage (on Mac for the first time).
  • 3 “studio quality” mic array.
  • 6 speaker sound system: 4 subwoofers/2 high performance tweeters.
  • Multichannel surround sound with spatial audio / Dolby Atmos.
  • By far the highest fidelity speakers ever in a Mac.
  • Best combo of Camera and Audio ever in a desktop display.
  • 3x USB-C 10Gbps.
  • 1x Thunderbolt 4 port the provides 96w of power for charging MacBook.
  • Connect 3 Studio Displays to MacBook Pro.
  • New Silver and Black colour options for Magic Keyboard and Trackpad etc.
  • 100% recycled rare earth elements etc.
  • Pair it with Any Mac - like MacBook Pro, AIR, Mini and Studio.
  • Showing off the Mac Studio and Studio Display with a very cool little video lol.
  • M1Max Mac Studio STARTS FROM $1999 / M1Ultra Mac Studio STARTS FROM $3999.
  • Studio Display starts at $1599 - configure it up from there.
  • Pre-Order NOW - Available on March 18th.
  • Mac PRO - Coming SOON - but they will NOT show it today! (Seriously, how much better can it get? This is insanity! The “Pro” is going to be disgustingly powerful).

— Tim Cook black on stage.

• Show close.

Notes by: DeeKay86. I hope you enjoyed my notes! I am a bit of a freak and I do this for pretty much every large event many companies put on. I won't advertise my socials here as I think its not allowed lol.

4 hours ago, Obioban said:

The body is one of the primary reasons for the SE-- old people can't learn how to use a new interface (lose the home button).

I very much doubt the iPhone 11 has twice the battery life of the SE3. The A15 was a huge improvement in battery life-- iPhone 13 mini has better battery life than iPhone 12 non mini!

Not regular 11, and I was exaggerating. But the 11 pro max is a stamina champ even in 2022

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Lol, the nvme interface on the Ryzen 6000 does not use 3 watts of power. You can't just subtracting 3 watts of power from the 6900HS and say it uses 32 watts of power to make it seem more efficient than it really is. 

huh? where did 3 watts come from? Also the PCIe spec allows for up to 6W for that if 1x data connection, not that it's going to actually use that much either. Neither is the SSD controller in the M1 so still entirely moot and both still do nothing or should be doing nothing during a GB run...

mW is mW, unless you are claiming there are 100 or 1000 additional things in an M1 SoC all using mW of power that aggregate to something actually meaningful then no, it's irrelevant and never needed to be brought up. The only thing using power during a GB run or similar is the RAM, that's it. This applies to Ryzen Mobile also, like I said yet you ignored and said this.

I said they both use nothing, not some magic 3W number you got from where exactly? Like Phison E18 12nm controller uses 3W and if you are saying that's what Apple's SSD controller in a 5nm SoC is using then they screwed up royally.

2 hours ago, hishnash said:

There is a comparison for desktop systems you measure the aggregate power drawn at the wall for the entire test (number of Wh), since there are so many different choices that can impact power draw, its not just about the CPU cores compute, that is what matters when it comes to efficacy, different vendors might opt to target efficacy in different places but in the end the power draw from the wall is what matters.  (using the aggregate power draw also accounts for systems that solve the problem faster but use more power per second vs systems that are slow and use less power in the evaluation of efficacy that is the metric you need)... eg how many Wh does it need to do a given standard task.

There are other metrics, like how fast does it complete the task, how load does it get while running the task etc this is a multi dimensional optimisation target.

And I think we can all agree that there is no zen based system that can even come close to this on power usage. 

Even that is flawed, and can be extremely. Problem is many people are using MacBooks to benchmark the Pro/Max rather than the MacMini and then many PC test bench systems have more fans and AIO pump etc, probably a bunch of RGB too now days (not by choice lol). At this low power you'd just be introducing a ton of measurement error using AC wall power and is meaningless.

Laptops have similar problem to this, number of fans, screen type, dGPU idle power etc

Wall power is just an interesting thing to look at and most useful for device (G14) vs device (MacBook Pro) comparisons not component (6900HS) vs component (M1 Pro).

You can measure and log total energy used for the SoC, Anandtech already does this from memory.

And anyway, you should be asking for on battery testing vs any M1 😉

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Correct for single thread. Not for multi thread. However you could limit single thread boost power on Ryzen Mobile too, obviously performance will drop but since power and performance scaling are not linear that efficiency difference will be significantly less. Such is the nature of the differences between ARM and x86 right now, one supports clock boosting and the other does not, to the detriment of power efficiency of course.

I thought ST would be enough to make it clear that Apple has a huge leap in terms of efficiency but ok 

1069163730_ScreenShot1443-08-08at2_36_33AM.thumb.png.678673feabb56e38a24a603d864d449d.png

519008777_ScreenShot1443-08-08at2_41_50AM.thumb.png.41f82f60745f1b5829ec04be4d1db395.png

The M1 pro was the fastest chip in this test while at the same time using the least amount of power even though HUB is using the total SoC power which includes the ram and other stuff the real number is 30-35w.

Well fortunately that was already a thing when they were using Intel CPUs. Apple's/MacOS's idle and sleep/hibernate power is quite superior to that or Windows and PC laptops.

it is better in macOS but compared to older intel macs the difference is huge. you can see this. the mac studio is using less than 4% of the power the mac pro uses while idling

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Please for the love of everything do not call having more money to throw around as doing a "better job". Money does not make a better job, money gives an advantage and ability to do or get a better job done. Having less resources does not mean you have or are doing a "bad job".

Apple is not paying more in fact apple is getting a discount

https://www.techspot.com/news/91121-tsmc-increased-chip-prices-3-apple-while-others.html

Apple has built a successful line of products that uses its silicon and TSMC knows that

Apple products will sell well so apple is ordering a lot of chips in advance and of course, TSMC would like to keep that successful business partner.

11 minutes ago, HRD said:

I thought ST would be enough to make it clear that Apple has a huge leap in terms of efficiency but ok 

image.thumb.png.ef1fa3d571e4e0cc026b8bfe947c30a2.png

Edit:

P.S. Feel free to move the green dot along the X axis to where you think think it "should" be.

6 minutes ago, HRD said:

Apple is not paying more in fact apple is getting a discount

https://www.techspot.com/news/91121-tsmc-increased-chip-prices-3-apple-while-others.html

Apple has built a successful line of products that uses its silicon and TSMC knows that

Apple products will sell well so apple is ordering a lot of chips in advance and of course, TSMC would like to keep that successful business partner.

Apple directly contributes to TSMC for the development of new nodes and pays for it. Price per wafer is or w/e is not the same as total contract price and negotiated terms, this is some very worrying logic you are using here.

You said AMD did a bad job, you're wrong. Apple paid more, simple as that. How else do you think Intel managed to queue jump for TSMC 3nm? Kind words?

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.thumb.png.ef1fa3d571e4e0cc026b8bfe947c30a2.png

189742828_ScreenShot1443-08-08at3_21_37AM.thumb.png.24e6c1f8bfee3113d9b36f4723527e44.png

As I said HUB was not correct to put the m1 pro/max cpu to 40-43 watts. this table from anandtech shows the clear difference.

12 hours ago, HRD said:

As I said HUB was not correct to put the m1 pro/max cpu to 40-43 watts. this table from anandtech shows the clear difference.

Read my edit, you'll find moving it to where you want changes not a lot. M1 Pro/Max is better, it's specific significant advantage is single thread power which I've already said, like last page or more ago.

Edit:

And like you're posting literally the same things from the same sources I have so 🤷‍♂️

Also if you were to power cap single core power on the 6900HS to what it uses during MT then the ST score would drop to around ~1300-1350. A 30% performance lead to M1's.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Read my edit, you'll find moving it to where you want changes not a lot. M1 Pro/Max is better, it's specific significant advantage is single thread power which I've already said, like last page or more ago.

look at AnandTech's table it has many tests and Apple silicon is destroying intel while providing similar/better performance. 

+HUB actually improved their graph and made the m1 pro at 35w. I don't think you will disagree that Anandtech is better at reviewing processors/SoC.

8 minutes ago, HRD said:

look at AnandTech's table it has many tests and Apple silicon is destroying intel while providing similar/better performance. 

Ryzen Mobile "destroys" Intel too... (at least in efficiency, 12th Gen is so much better than 11th Gen also)

Guess I have to remind you also, being better doesn't warrant a lot of the rhetoric being used, at all. For a lot of cases it's not as much better as is being said nor will have any real market impact because M1/M[x] is and likely will forever be Apple only.

And if all I care about was ST then M1 would be the choice not M1 Pro/Max, similarly on the PC side I wouldn't be getting a 6900HS either. Why spend more on something you do not need.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

You can measure and log total energy used for the SoC, Anandtech already does this from memory.

you can but every system draws a different line one what it defines as SoC power, what is included in the SoC etc makes a big difference.

In the end the comparison of the entire package is what matters, if when you buy a zen platform you have no option but to have an AIO and RGB (strange) then that should be included in the power draw (you do have an option).  

Even just talking about cpu power some vendors might include more voltage controllers on the SoC package were others will delegate that to the VRM outside of the package this means you might have more VRM phases going into the package with power loss at this location compared to another system that has less phases going into the package but then splits these within the package...  

That is why you should be comparing like for like, peak power draw from the wall is not supper accurate but aggregated draw over time of a prolonged load can be done very accurately (there have been years of work done by electricity companies to ensure they can charge you for every wh you use after all) and this is what matters not peak power draw.

Most (if not all) metrics that use self reported numbers form the chips internal senses are subject to sampling issues were high sampling rates adds extra load to the system and low sampling rates can miss lots of spikes and dips.  

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

You said AMD did a bad job, you're wrong. Apple paid more, simple as that. How else do you think Intel managed to queue jump for TSMC 3nm? Kind words?

Its not just that Apple paid more its that apple paid years before AMD. Apple has the cash flow that means they can pre-pay (and thus fund new node development) 5+ years before the use that node! AMD even with thier new money now can't afford to pre-pay for the next 5+ years of production, apple pre-paying enables TSMC to build out these new nodes without taking out high cost loans, what apple get for this is priority access when the node is ready (I think that is fair enough). 

I said they both use nothing, not some magic 3W number you got from where exactly? Like Phison E18 12nm controller uses 3W and if you are saying that's what Apple's SSD controller in a 5nm SoC is using then they screwed up royally.

P.S. Just stop taking comments and conversations so personally, not everything is about you and what you have said specifically :old-eyeroll: If you want to join in on a conversation that started from hype train BS then please keep the origin in mind, because I may well be comment on that not you. 

Sure I was quoting you, and my comment was regarding something very similar to what you said and that nobody else have brought up, but my comment totally was not against you.

See how difficult to becomes to have a conversation when one person in it breaks conventional rules of conversation by for example quoting one person and then in the text respond to a completely different person without giving any indication of who said person is responding to.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:37 AM, J-from-Nucleon said:

https://c.tenor.com/sqOZZnRhjMsAAAAC/money-mr.gif

/s

Well, that's a boring answer...I mean, Apple has all the money. Sony is always broke, looking for handouts from Disney...who has historical connections with Apple.

I think it means that Macs are about to be able play Playstation games natively. Let's put that in the rumormill!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

22 hours ago, hishnash said:

In the end the comparison of the entire package is what matters, if when you buy a zen platform you have no option but to have an AIO and RGB (strange) then that should be included in the power draw (you do have an option).  

Yep, that's why I said it good for device vs device not component vs component. Two different 6900HS aren't even the same all the time, so which one do you use, why and when?

If you want to figure out which is the best device/product to buy then you do and must compare the devices, looking at component vs component may or will get you the wrong conclusion if Device A allows 65W boost and 35W sustained and Device B allows 80W boost and 35W sustained, or Device C allows 80W boost and 45W sustained, and all use the same CPU model.

Advantage of the other side, Apple/Mac, you always know what you are getting, every time.

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sure I was quoting you, and my comment was regarding something very similar to what you said and that nobody else have brought up, but my comment totally was not against you.

It was brought up, that WAS the reason I said it. You just may not have read that comment. Unawareness of something that was said != that thing not having been said. It's on page 6.

You came in to this, you don't seem to care why it started and what my objections actually are. Either you're one of them and talking up something that is in a way that it is not and cannot accept that something can just be better without spelling doom for everyone else in the market, literally nobody should ever want this, or you are not and seemingly over care about specific leads in particular ways more than I do. A lot of people just do not seem to care how both insufferable they come off and how silly they sound at the same time.

Do people go to the Olympics and tell everyone that got second place and back to give up and quit? They're all useless and cannot compete...

I already know you really aren't any of these so why are you here having this discussion now? I simply do not see a couple of watts difference and 20%-30% performance lead as something so earth shattering, not when there is a much stronger point around single core performance and efficiency or vastly better software to hardware utilization from Mac OS applications. Even if Apple SoC could run Windows (and ARM Windows weren't crap) it would suffer the same fate as Intel and AMD CPUs already do where a raft of features and optimizations go under used due to the nature of what the PC platform is (compared to Apple).

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No it was brought up, that WAS the reason I said it. You just may not have read that comment. Unawareness of something that was said != that thing not having been said. It's on page 6.

Is this a response to me or are you responding to someone else right now?

I just want to make sure so that I don't incorrectly assume you are responding to me.

Could I perhaps recommend that if you want to reply to someone on page 6, maybe quote them? I find it rather confusing that you quote me and then between sentences start talking to someone else without giving any indication of doing so. That's not really how conversations usually go. 

It's kind of like having a conversation with someone, while having eye contact, and then without breaking the eye contact start talking to someone else in the middle of the conversation. The person you keep eye contact with will obviously be confused and think you are still talking to them. Especially if the subjects are very similar and the switch happens between two sentences, and you don't specify that you switched conversation partner.

Do you think the person you were replying to was aware that you suddenly started talking to them?

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yep, that's why I said it good for device vs device not component vs component. Two different 6900HS aren't even the same all the time, so which one do you use, why and when?

If you want to figure out which is the best device/product to buy then you do and must compare the devices, looking at component vs component may or will get your the wrong conclusion if Device A allows 65W boost and 35W sustained and Device B allows 80W boost and 35W sustained, or Device C allows 80W boost and 45W sustained, and all use the same CPU model.

Advantage of the other side, Apple/Mac, you always know what you are getting, every time.

It feels like you are deliberately trying to be obtuse right now and confusing.

Do you want to compare laptop vs laptop or CPU vs CPU? I don't think I am the only one who think you flip flop between the two whenever it suits you.

From a practical standpoint, comparing laptop vs laptop makes the most sense, but then we start getting into a lot of subjective things. MacOS vs Windows for example. Maybe we should lay out some ground rules and such when discussing Apple Silicon from now on? Specify exactly what we are talking about, if it's package, or platform, or specific component of the SoC, or whatever.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Is this a response to me or are you responding to someone else right now?

I just want to make sure so that I don't incorrectly assume you are responding to me.

Well the way I read it you were saying nothing like that had been said, I'm pointing out to you it had. Of course not saying you said it.

Could I perhaps recommend that if you want to reply to someone on page 6, maybe quote them?

I have, before you joined. Again you came in, there are reason for why I may say things, reasons you may not have seen nor read.

Edit:

Do you think the person you were replying to was aware that you suddenly started talking to them?

If I wanted to talk to them then I would quote, the absence of that quote is all the hint you need as to my desire to talk to them.

Maybe we should lay out some ground rules and such when discussing Apple Silicon from now on?

Easy, don't be a page 6 person. Done. Only rule required. A person and post you have agreed with, more than once. I do take notice of those things. You're quite often more than happy to hitch your wagon to that type of rhetoric, I do have the problem with that, you may have noticed.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It feels like you are deliberately trying to be obtuse right now and confusing.

Do you want to compare laptop vs laptop or CPU vs CPU? I don't think I am the only one who think you flip flop between the two whenever it suits you.

Oh come on, this is explained in this post and the post before, you either get it or you do not. There is no flip flopping at all. You know just as well as I do the dangers of device specific configurations when it comes to CPU operating parameters.

12 hours ago, HRD said:

it is better in macOS but compared to older intel macs the difference is huge. you can see this. the mac studio is using less than 4% of the power the mac pro uses while idling

Really amazing. 

45 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Do people go to the Olympics and tell everyone that got second place and back to give up and quit? They're all useless and cannot compete...

You just described a lot of YouTube commenters 😂 One in particular comes to mind where everything is either rainbow crapping awesomeness, or an earth shattering game over disaster. 

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

If I wanted to talk to them then I would quote, the absence of that quote is all the hint you need as to my desire to talk to them.

So you deliberately talked to people hoping that they would not understand that you were talking to them and hoping they would not reply?

I'm sorry but the more I read from your posts the more confused I get. What are you trying to achieve here exactly?

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Easy, don't be a page 6 person. Done. Only rule required. A person and post you have agreed with, more than once. I do take notice of those things. You're quite often more than happy to hitch your wagon to that type of rhetoric, I do have the problem with that, you may have noticed.

I honestly don't know how to react to this. The way you are acting is just absurd.

So when you said this:  

On 3/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, leadeater said:

P.S. Just stop taking comments and conversations so personally, not everything is about you and what you have said specifically 🙃 If you want to join in on a conversation that started from hype train BS then please keep the origin in mind, because I may well be comment on that not you. 

You actually meant "my arguments were in fact directed at you, because I looked up which posts you have clicked agree on and then want to argue against those comments with you"? 

So much for your arguments not being "about me"...

I went back to page 6 and looked at the posts I had reacted to and I don't really know which post you got so upset that I liked/agreed.

My guess is that it is this one:  

On 3/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, saltycaramel said:

LMG coverage of the event and the Mac Studio: it’s not a Steam Deck so let’s generally be debbie downers. 

The x86 PC industry (and its well connected tech influencers, like LMG) will not be able to keep the facade that this isn’t a shift of power in the making for much longer..I warned about this back when the M1 was dismissed as “it’s only about efficiency” and “glorified iPad” and giga-dies like the M1 Max and M1 Ultra were just fantasies and far fetched theories..now the time for reckoning is coming for x86 space heaters. 

I clicked agree on it because I think LTT's coverage of the M1 from the beginning has been kind of crappy, and I think ARM is going to replace x86 for a lot of things.

If we ignore the short term effect of covid-19, PCs are dying. Most people are satisfied with just having a phone these days. They don't want desktops or laptops anymore. Please note that I am talking about the general public here, not the average user of this forum.

For servers, I think more and more of it will move over to Arm based servers. We are already seeing a big trend towards this. Maybe not for on-prem, proprietary software, but for new software as well as cloud services.

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If we ignore the short term effect of covid-19, PCs are dying. Most people are satisfied with just having a phone these days.

You at least need a tablet. Even the average person needs to work on a spreadsheet or Word doc once in a while, which is a royal PITA on a phone. 

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

You at least need a tablet. Even the average person needs to work on a spreadsheet or Word doc once in a while, which is a royal PITA on a phone. 

Unless you can samsung-dex-style it to a monitor, then it is a 'pc' without a pc.

3 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Do they really though? 

Maybe if you work in an office, but I don't think most people use Word or Excel. 

Maybe I'm out of touch but none of my close relatives uses Office anymore. Once they stopped being in school that was basically it. 

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Do they really though? 

Maybe if you work in an office, but I don't think most people use Word or Excel. 

Maybe I'm out of touch but none of my close relatives uses Office anymore. Once they stopped being in school that was basically it. 

I believe the thought is more about the convenience of smth like a bigger screen and a kb, and not about the capabilities of a specific device/app.

Your John Doe might not need to use Word per se, but he might need a better way to update his resume/cover letter in a word processor on a bigger screen, or right a lengthy email, or track family budget, or be able to comfortably read/sign a PDF (even my granny receives some of her docs and such electronically).

I mean even browsing the internet is not completely optimized for small-screen-usability - compromises are made... and of course you have examples like the ad-full news/articles pages where half of the screen is already blocked.