Windows may start watermarking unsupported user PC's

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

AMD 3000 series when they released will have to buy new hardware if we want to continue to run a supported windows

You mean 2000 series right? Iirc windows supports the 3000 series of ryzen CPUs

✨FNIGE✨

11 hours ago, FnigePython said:

You mean 2000 series right? Iirc windows supports the 3000 series of ryzen CPUs

I may have jumped the gun a little with my distaste for everything that is happening in the tech sphere of late,  however my 3600 doesn't pass the "you can have win11" test.  My mother board is also supposed to be supported (asus prime B350).    But after a google to see if I am having a brain fart day I discovered I am not alone.

So to add to my last post, even if you managed to buy hardware that is technically supported, Good luck having a straightforward upgrade path without having to spend too much money or countless hours problem solving.    It would just be easier if artificial limitations weren't a thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

however my 3600 doesn't pass the "you can have win11" test.

Does it specifically state your CPU is not supported, or does it just say your system? Because I have the 2600x and its officially supported. However my system is not currently supported due to Secure boot and TPM being disabled. Both of those have to be enabled for you to be supported. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Unsupported based on Win11's system requirements or actual performance because a AMD Ryzen 1950x would be on the not supported list and Win11 will show that "your PC is unsupported message" vs some current gen Intel Atom, where it's supported, but the user experience will run like crap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 2/24/2022 at 1:40 AM, LAwLz said:

The whole "the minimum requirement for windows 11 are for security reasons" is just a rumor and it was confirmed to be false by Microsoft's head of security. 

The minimum requirements are not because of security, not because of performance and not because of some special feature. 

They were arbitrarily chosen because Microsoft felt it was an okay cutoff. 

This might sound dumb, but having newer hardware means not having to optimise for old hardware, especially since most people aren't running Pentium 4s in 2022 (still works on Windows 10). This allows for focus to be on things that matter, and less so on bugfixes caused by older hardware. While not a massive part of all of the bugs, it's one less thing they have to worry about. 

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

This might sound dumb, but having newer hardware means not having to optimise for old hardware, especially since most people aren't running Pentium 4s in 2022

Problem is they cut off way more than that, even things that are literally a few years old....

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Does it specifically state your CPU is not supported, or does it just say your system? Because I have the 2600x and its officially supported. However my system is not currently supported due to Secure boot and TPM being disabled. Both of those have to be enabled for you to be supported. 

The CPU is supported (just like the motherboard is, but that doesn't mean shit when it won't let you upgrade because confusing reasons you have to problem solve first.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

I may have jumped the gun a little with my distaste for everything that is happening in the tech sphere of late,  however my 3600 doesn't pass the "you can have win11" test.  My mother board is also supposed to be supported (asus prime B350).    But after a google to see if I am having a brain fart day I discovered I am not alone.

So to add to my last post, even if you managed to buy hardware that is technically supported, Good luck having a straightforward upgrade path without having to spend too much money or countless hours problem solving.    It would just be easier if artificial limitations weren't a thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.