Anyone else feel wrong about buying >= 1000W PSU that is Gold rated?

gymleader

I know this sounds weird but anyone else feel like this? As in something hard wired in your brain says to you "If you have 1000w it should be at minimum Titanium".

I first thought of this after reading the conclusion of the 2021 RM1000x by Tom's Hardware: "There is not much competition in the 1000W Gold category since most PSUs with similar capacity are Platinum or Titanium"

80+ is just a measure of efficiency. There is some benefit of having a more efficient PSU in high wattages because higher efficiency will result in less energy being wasted as heat, but as long as the PSU can properly dissipate that heat (proper heatsinks, fans, components rated for high temperatures) then it's not an issue.

There's probably not that much difference between an 80+ Gold and 80+ Platinum PSU anyway.

For example the new RM1000x you mentioned compared to the HX1000 Platinum there's barely any difference as far as the 80+ ratings which measure at 10%, 20%, 50%, and 100%. There's only 1% difference between them at 50% and 100% load. At 1000W load that's 10W difference, considering you're already pulling 1100W+ with 120-130W being wasted due to efficiency losses an extra 10W loss isn't particularly an issue.

image.png

80+ Titanium PSUs will have more of an improvement over the 80+ Gold units, and they're also required to hit efficiency targets at 10% load. They will generally be quite a bit more expensive though and unless you're running your system at full load constantly the higher upfront cost likely won't be paid off by the energy savings over the life of the PSU.

I guess the main reason would be "If I'm already spending $150+ on a power supply, why not spend an extra $20 to get the more efficient premium one?".

There might be other reasons to pick the 80+ Platinum or 80+ Titanium units like maybe the more expensive one also comes with extra cables, longer warranty, a better fan, or some other reason.

There's no right or wrong answer to whether or not you should buy an 80+ Gold or Platinum/Titanium PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, gymleader said:

If you have 1000w it should be at minimum Titanium

To you Titanium means high quality, right?
Let's think about that...
If you buy a 1000 W power supply for a PC, you probably don't care about the energy costs too much.

And a difference of around 5% in efficiency is not a lot.

High efficiency comes with high distortion, which requires filters, so at some point, it makes no sence to make it more efficient.
To me, it's much more important, how quiet the power supply will be and how long it will last, because these are the things you will notice.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

13 minutes ago, gymleader said:

I know this sounds weird but anyone else feel like this? As in something hard wired in your brain says to you "If you have 1000w it should be at minimum Titanium".

I first thought of this after reading the conclusion of the 2021 RM1000x by Tom's Hardware: "There is not much competition in the 1000W Gold category since most PSUs with similar capacity are Platinum or Titanium"

No.

92% at 50% (500w) ... 92% = 500w => 100% = 500 * 100 / 92 = 543w 

95% at 50% (500w) ... 95% = 500w => 100% = 500 * 100 / 95 = 526w 

8h a day of gaming, 31 days in month => (543-526) x 8 x  31 = 4216 = 4 kWh  at ~ 0.2$ per kWh = 1$ a month extra on your power bill. 

No there's really not a use of a 80+ titanium rated power supply until you are going to run the machine for so long continuously.

80+ gold is enough for what gamers need

The efficiency standards the more I learn about them seem to matter less and less. The only thing that I would expect is assuming that a given PSU is honest in meeting 80+ Titanium or Platinum requirements that PSU is more likely to built with better quality parts in order to meet said standard.

Unless you are living in someplace where the price of power is vastly above average focus on getting a good quality, long lasting 1000w psu and you are set for the foreseeable future.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On 2/21/2022 at 4:25 AM, Mark Walter said:

No there's really not a use of a 80+ titanium rated power supply until you are going to run the machine for so long continuously.

80+ gold is enough for what gamers need

80+ is entirely irrelevant to most gamers' needs. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16