Will a powered USB hub help the speed of USB3.0?

KingFirehawk

I am getting a solid state USB drive. I don't know the real life read and writes yet, or if it will be limited to the speed of the USB port or the USB's SSD. I think I have seen that for a "normal" read and write you can expect around 80MBps (I don't know what they consider real life data because that could range from a movie to zip files). 

I was just wondering if a powered USB hub would help supply more power to the USB drive thus make speeds faster. I have no clue if speeds of a USB SSD are even limited to the power draw, because google is terrible at finding anything USB related other then the basic stuff that normal people would ask about USB's. I figured I would ask on here before I spent a hour trying to figure out the correct way to search this topic. 

7 minutes ago, KingFirehawk said:

I was just wondering if a powered USB hub would help supply more power to the USB drive thus make speeds faster.

No, the speed of a USB connection isn't limited by power. USB always uses 5v, as specified. It can provide different amounts of amps, which is needed for charging things, but that's it. The speed depends on the version and possibly the quality of the USB controller on your motherboard and/or in the drive as well as its controller.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, KingFirehawk said:

I am getting a solid state USB drive. I don't know the real life read and writes yet, or if it will be limited to the speed of the USB port or the USB's SSD. I think I have seen that for a "normal" read and write you can expect around 80MBps (I don't know what they consider real life data because that could range from a movie to zip files). 

I was just wondering if a powered USB hub would help supply more power to the USB drive thus make speeds faster. I have no clue if speeds of a USB SSD are even limited to the power draw, because google is terrible at finding anything USB related other then the basic stuff that normal people would ask about USB's. I figured I would ask on here before I spent a hour trying to figure out the correct way to search this topic. 

I have a usb 3.0 powered hub but its really only for charging things that need the power like my tablet. Still transfers data to the PC at the same speed though

Doubt it, but for reference my 320GB 3.5inch HDD connected to a SATA to USB adapter which has external power and is plugged in to 12V does about 100MB/s read and write which is typical of this hard drive even if it was connected to a SATA6 cable in my PC. So you should ideally have at least the same if not better performance, especially in the random read and writes of course. If the SSD does 80MB/s then there probably is an issue, or maybe they took some kind of average that includes some random read and writes. Although even that doesn't make sense since my SATA SSD can easily do over 80MB/s write, so IDK.

image.png.f4724b82f96858a50f134e2a45910db4.png

If the drive and port are 5Gbps you should get about 350MB/s, if it's 10Gbit you should bet about 650... power won't do anything to change it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2