CPU to match with 1050 ti?

Go to solution Solved by camieabz,
7 hours ago, Faremax said:

Oh I know bottlenecking is inevitable, I just researched a bit and got results saying that the bottleneck would be too severe or something. I was just asking if it'd be balanced to match my 1050ti with a 10th gen cpu because the 1050ti is kinda lower end

That's a bunkum statement ( "too severe" ) from the results. If your GPU is the GPU you want, all the CPU power over and above it is spare for whatever CPU things you need it for.

IF you're trying to match the cheapest CPU to run a given GPU at 100% (no GPU bottleneck), then it becomes a thing, but excess CPU availability in itself is never 'severe', as long as the cost isn't extortionate. Who knows what resources any future background software will leech from your CPU and impact the GPU performance, if it's too close a match. I'd put more focus on extra cores and single core speed*, over bottleneck worries, as long as the CPU isn't holding back the system. You might want browsers, and music, and any number of things running with a game. More CPU is fine. 🙂

* See Userbenchmark for simple indicators of single core speeds and overall performance when comparing CPUs. Make a shortlist of half a dozen CPUs that you think are up to the job and see how they compare.

So I'm using an i3-7100 with my 1050 ti but I'm looking to upgrade it since only having two cores kinda sucks. I tried looking for cpu's but I'm really unsure about which one to get.

I found this great deal on an i5-10600kf but I'm not certain if it's too much of a bottleneck. There's also an i5-10400f at a nice price but I think the bottleneck is essentially the same.
Ideally anything 4 cores, 3ghz and above should do, but I just want any suggestions you can give me as I am pretty unexperienced at this lol.

I mainly use my pc for gaming and occasionally for other small personal projects like video editing.

What are you doing now that you need an upgrade? A 1050ti is basically the lowest end card you can go for at least a solid 1080p 60fps low settings experience in all game out right now.

Do know that upgrading the cpu to anything worthwhile is going to also need a new motherboard. A 10600 for example doesn't even really hold back a 3080.

3 minutes ago, Faremax said:

So I'm using an i3-7100 with my 1050 ti but I'm looking to upgrade it since only having two cores kinda sucks. I tried looking for cpu's but I'm really unsure about which one to get.

I found this great deal on an i5-10600kf but I'm not certain if it's too much of a bottleneck. There's also an i5-10400f at a nice price but I think the bottleneck is essentially the same.
Ideally anything 4 cores, 3ghz and above should do, but I just want any suggestions you can give me as I am pretty unexperienced at this lol.

I mainly use my pc for gaming and occasionally for other small personal projects like video editing.

This would be a good pair but the GPU might actually bottleneck more than the cpu

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

What motherboard are you using, if you have a motherboard that supports an i5 7400 (or something of that sort) then it would mean you wouldn't have to change out your motherboard as well

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

1 minute ago, Cr33ps said:

This would be a good pair but the GPU might actually bottleneck more than the cpu

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-10600KF/GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti/0Zs0VZlu/8/100/

Quote me for the answer and please Mark As Solution if I solved your problem

What I need help with rn

Spoiler

Best pc guides

What is important is a balanced system, a 6400 and a 1050ti is a balanced pairing with a good SSD and a 1080p display. 

Can we all stop with this "I can't have any 'bottlenecks' in my system" there will always be "bottlenecks" and you will never be able to completely eliminate every possible thing that could limit some sort of performance number. "7% bottleneck"  and "8.2% bottleneck" and shit like that, how do you even measure it objectively. Are you going to notice it taking .006 second difference for a data request from your gen 3 vs gen4 drive, are you going to be able to blind taste test the difference between 340fps vs 364fps, unless all you are doing is datacenter workloads, access times and minor differences in performance are not going to be significant. You don't NEED a 12900K and a 3090TI to play videogames. 

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What are you doing now that you need an upgrade? A 1050ti is basically the lowest end card you can go for at least a solid 1080p 60fps low settings experience in all game out right now.

Do know that upgrading the cpu to anything worthwhile is going to also need a new motherboard. A 10600 for example doesn't even really hold back a 3080.

I do know that I'll have to buy a motherboard along with it, I don't really care about that. Where I'm from, gpu prices are insanely high and I can't afford anything better than I have lol. as i said, i only really need to get a new cpu because of the 7100's dual cores which is, from personal benchmarking, the thing thats dragging my performance down.

16 minutes ago, Michael2 said:

What motherboard are you using, if you have a motherboard that supports an i5 7400 (or something of that sort) then it would mean you wouldn't have to change out your motherboard as well

I'm currently not home so I can't check which one I have (i should know this already but oh well), all I know is that its socket is 1151 if that's helpful information? I don't mind getting a new motherboard that much, but if there's a chance to keep it i'll take it

18 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

Yeah I've tried this and it shows "Your gpu is too weak to work with this cpu". What exactly does that mean?

18 minutes ago, Cr33ps said:

lol bottleneck calculators dont work, an i5 10400f would do really well with a gtx 1050 ti, heck the 1050 ti becomes the bottle neck.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

What is important is a balanced system, a 6400 and a 1050ti is a balanced pairing with a good SSD and a 1080p display. 

Can we all stop with this "I can't have any 'bottlenecks' in my system" there will always be "bottlenecks" and you will never be able to completely eliminate every possible thing that could limit some sort of performance number. "7% bottleneck"  and "8.2% bottleneck" and shit like that, how do you even measure it objectively. Are you going to notice it taking .006 second difference for a data request from your gen 3 vs gen4 drive, are you going to be able to blind taste test the difference between 340fps vs 364fps, unless all you are doing is datacenter workloads, access times and minor differences in performance are not going to be significant. You don't NEED a 12900K and a 3090TI to play videogames. 

yep my 6400 is treating me well 🙂 but i would still recomend a new cpu like a 10400f.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

5 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Oh I know bottlenecking is inevitable, I just researched a bit and got results saying that the bottleneck would be too severe or something. I was just asking if it'd be balanced to match my 1050ti with a 10th gen cpu because the 1050ti is kinda lower end

4 minutes ago, adarw said:

yep my 6400 is treating me well 🙂 but i would still recomend a new cpu like a 10400f.

Exactly and just because something will give you 8% better performance means it's worth upgrading. Price/performance is what really matters

7 minutes ago, Faremax said:

I'm currently not home so I can't check which one I have (i should know this already but oh well), all I know is that its socket is 1151 if that's helpful information? I don't mind getting a new motherboard that much, but if there's a chance to keep it i'll take it

That should work with a i5 7400 as long as it isn't a completely crap motherboard, if you could give me the model of the motherboard at some point it would be helpful

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

1 minute ago, Michael2 said:

That should work with a i5 7400 as long as it isn't a completely crap motherboard, if you could give me the model of the motherboard at some point it would be helpful

Sure! I'll do it as soon as I can, thanks!

34 minutes ago, Faremax said:

What are the other specs of your system? If you are running a slow hard drive, spending some budget on that will give you a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

What are the other specs of your system? If you are running a slow hard drive, spending some budget on that will give you a SIGNIFICANT improvement.

Oh I've got an SSD and an HDD, as I said the only thing I'm lacking is some cpu power

7 hours ago, Faremax said:

That's a bunkum statement ( "too severe" ) from the results. If your GPU is the GPU you want, all the CPU power over and above it is spare for whatever CPU things you need it for.

IF you're trying to match the cheapest CPU to run a given GPU at 100% (no GPU bottleneck), then it becomes a thing, but excess CPU availability in itself is never 'severe', as long as the cost isn't extortionate. Who knows what resources any future background software will leech from your CPU and impact the GPU performance, if it's too close a match. I'd put more focus on extra cores and single core speed*, over bottleneck worries, as long as the CPU isn't holding back the system. You might want browsers, and music, and any number of things running with a game. More CPU is fine. 🙂

* See Userbenchmark for simple indicators of single core speeds and overall performance when comparing CPUs. Make a shortlist of half a dozen CPUs that you think are up to the job and see how they compare.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench