CPU cooler 2mm shorter than the case

Supreme Calamitas
Go to solution Solved by NorKris,

image.png.b52e60cdecb281f19120f3a0f6650228.png

So I was planning on buying the Noctua nh-u12s which is 158mm tall, the problem is that my case only supports a 160mm cooler.

What are your thoughts on this? motherboard: Micro ATX, 2 sticks of ram, AM4 Ryzen. Should I take the risk and buy it? Should I buy a new case with the nh-u12s? or should I do something else? first time building a pc.

It would fit just fine, I've fit coolers in with less tolerance just fine. 

That said, I probably wouldn't buy the NH-U12S, you can get better coolers for less money. The Scythe Fuma 2 is ~$60 and will be quieter and cooler. 

4 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It would fit just fine, I've fit coolers in with less tolerance just fine. 

That said, I probably wouldn't buy the NH-U12S, you can get better coolers for less money. The Scythe Fuma 2 is ~$60 and will be quieter and cooler. 

I'll try to get one of those (if I can find one) What do you think about NH-D15S for Ryzen 5 5600g? overkill? using it for video editing and animation with Lian Li lancool 215 - currently have no gpu so i'm using that igpu to the max

44 minutes ago, Marko1600 said:

NH-D15S for Ryzen 5 5600g? overkill?

Yes. The stock cooler can keep a 5600G cool. If you want something a bit quieter, there are a ton of options in the ~$30 range like the Arctic X34. Even overclocked that chip is not really hot.

A 160mm tall cooler should fit in a case that lists 160mm of clearance. 

Why not use the stock cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

A 160mm tall cooler should fit in a case that lists 160mm of clearance. 

Why not use the stock cooler?

I was concerned it would be insufficient, however right now I am conflicted between buying a Case or CPU cooler (case doesn't have any fans) 

My current case has no fans besides of course the GPU and the PSU build-in fans. If I do decide to choose the case over the cooler I would probably go with Lian Li Lancool 215, And if I chose the cooler I would probably buy something close to a u12s or scythe fuma 2, and then spend the rest on Adobe After effects/Premiere Pro/Davinci subscriptions.

Advice welcome

2 hours ago, Marko1600 said:

I was concerned it would be insufficient, however right now I am conflicted between buying a Case or CPU cooler (case doesn't have any fans) 

System specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

59 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

System specs?

I have my new pc in parts so i''ll only list you the some I have
Ryzen 5 5600g w stock cooler
b450m-a II Micro ATX AM4
Antec 750w 80+ GOLD (found it on big discount)
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 nvme 250gb + 1Tb HDD
Crucial ballistix 32gb ram 3200mhz (also found on big discount)
Old a%# case with no fans (fully metal)

haven't bought yet:
Lian Li 215 case
CPU cooler 
$300 left for a GPU

I plan to use the pc for 4k Video editing, Should I skip the cooler and buy a better GPU instead? Buy a used one?

I was also planning to buy a Noctua nm-d15 cause I found it for $60, but felt like it was too overkill even for 4k video editing

On 2/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, Marko1600 said:

I have my new pc in parts so i''ll only list you the some I have
Ryzen 5 5600g w stock cooler
b450m-a II Micro ATX AM4
Antec 750w 80+ GOLD (found it on big discount)
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 nvme 250gb + 1Tb HDD
Crucial ballistix 32gb ram 3200mhz (also found on big discount)
Old a%# case with no fans (fully metal)

haven't bought yet:
Lian Li 215 case
CPU cooler 
$300 left for a GPU

I plan to use the pc for 4k Video editing, Should I skip the cooler and buy a better GPU instead? Buy a used one?

Swapping to a case with fans or adding case fans would be good. 

With decent case airflow, the stock cpu cooler should be fine.

If you're not very sensitive to noise, a slightly better gpu may be worthwhile than a better cpu cooler. 

You can pick up a 5 pack of Arctic P12 fans for around $35. That will have you set for case ventilation.

I would use the stock cooler for now. It's fine and upgrade later if the noise bothers you.

*Edit*

If you have no mounting points for fans and have the tools. Cut holes and mount them. Install fan guards, especially if you have pets or small children around. Be sure to use a file or sand paper to debur your edges. Sheet metal can be razor sharp after being cut.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Marko1600 said:

I was also planning to buy a Noctua nm-d15 cause I found it for $60, but felt like it was too overkill even for 4k video editing

It isn’t overkill if the cooler will let your cpu boost higher and longer.. I was able to run my 3600XT with no fan on my Le Grand Macho RT with an all core clock of 4400MHz 1.2875 with an 8GB load in Linpack Extreme. It would do that same load at 4500 with 1.3375 too but it got a bit warm 😄

I would grab that D15 for 60 bucks.. or a PA120. That competes directly with D15.. also has a higher TDP than D15.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14