Good RF universal Xbox remote?

Harry Voyager

So, looking at getting an xbox, and rearranging all our media stuff. (Probably move all the Roku stuff onto the Xbox and use it as the media hub)

Among other things, I'd like to have a single remote that can run both the TV and the Xbox, and have it reasonably affordable because it will get lost, at least three times. And it does need to have the ability to change TV inputs, as this will have both my old PS3, WII and Switch connected to it. 

The catch is, I think it needs to be an RF one: the best place to put the Xbox will be behind the TV, so I don't think the RF receiver will be visible. 

Any thoughts on what might work? 

Thank you, 

Harry Voyager

What kind of TV do you have? I know several different model TVs already have a feature that will control most modern consoles with their remotes via an HDMI CEC connection.

I know my Sony's remote can control my Shield and PS4. Same goes for my Samsung TV.

@Bad5ector It is an LG 55NANO81ANA with LG's Magic Remote. We can use it with the Roku, but it is hideously slow and laggy. 

Looking at the current firmware it's running 5.0.0-1542101 Didn't connect it to the net to update it when we installed it, since it was really just supposed to be a TV, not a smart hub. 

24 minutes ago, Harry Voyager said:

@Bad5ector It is an LG 55NANO81ANA with LG's Magic Remote. We can use it with the Roku, but it is hideously slow and laggy. 

Looking at the current firmware it's running 5.0.0-1542101 Didn't connect it to the net to update it when we installed it, since it was really just supposed to be a TV, not a smart hub. 

Its generally recommended to update firmware on TVs as like all devices these days they tend to launch with bugs or missing features.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

HDMI CEC compatibility will depend on one thing though. Which Xbox are you getting? An Xbox "Series" or an Xbox One of some sort? The Xbox One/One S do NOT have CEC, only the Xbox one X. Both Series' have CEC. (Yes, Xbox was about a decade late to get CEC, it started being common in the PS3/360 era)

@ColtyIt would be a Series X. The Xbox and Gamepass bundles are pretty available, and cheaper than the stand-alone scalped Xbox's, so it wouldn't make sense not to. 

We've been using the PS3 as the blue-ray player for years, but now it's behind a glass door so it is a pain to get in and load/remove disks when needed. The Series X would slot in comfortably behind the TV and leave enough space sticking out to get to the disk drive. 

Was not away that the PS3 supported CEC either. Not sure that changes things there, because until fairly recently, I don't think the TV we had supported it, but good to know, regardless. 

Addendum: That said, I wonder if that could allow the TV remote to control the functions that cannot be controlled with the PS4 controller when it's hooked up to a PS3? It really is a much nicer controller than the old DS3...

22 hours ago, Harry Voyager said:

Addendum: That said, I wonder if that could allow the TV remote to control the functions that cannot be controlled with the PS4 controller when it's hooked up to a PS3? It really is a much nicer controller than the old DS3...

Not sure, I would test this theory for you, but I have a launch PS3 (backwards compatible!). Only the slims and super slim PS3s have CEC. 😕

• 2 weeks later...

@Bad5ector @Colty Is CEC broken on the Xbox Series X|S? We got a Series X, and while we are able yo control the TV power, it cannot control volume, and it cannot see any of the inputs from the LG remote. 

We've got a Roku, and that one's remote is able to control both volume and power, but the Xbox appears to be completely unable to control the volume, and no-one seems to have any idea how to fix it. 

Immensely frustrating.