Disabled Designer Looking For Help

Hi, I'm Nic, 33 years old, born with cerebral palsy, I am a techie and graphic designer. I've been freelance for 10+ years and currently have been working with a company almost a year. I love my job, but my work computer is lack luster for what I do, especially coming from my home system. I know what the issue is, although my boss, who's not proficient in technology, doesn't seem to understand that my job is more hardware forward than emails, spreadsheets, etc. My current work computer is a HP All-in-One (Specs below). Is there an easy way to explain to him why I need better hardware and what the benefits would be, or a workaround? I have to wait 30+ minutes sometimes for photoshop files to open, save, or changes to render. I've been making due, but my workload is expanding to trade show, apparel, and other marketing material. I would bring my home desktop or buy one myself, but I feel like the first step would be to better explain the reason behind my request for a new system. Although my other concern is the company's not very old, 2-3 years and they might say it's not in the budget. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Work System

UserBenchmarks: Game 2%, Desk 37%, Work 2%
CPU: Intel Celeron G5905T - 38.6%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 610 - 2.6%
SSD: SK hynix BC511 HFM256GDJTNI-82A0A 256GB - 85%
RAM: Samsung M471A5244CB0-CWE 1x4GB - 25.3%
MBD: HP All-in-One 22-df0xxx

Home System

UserBenchmarks: Game 61%, Desk 82%, Work 52%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 - 84.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 71.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 90.6%
HDD: Seagate Backup+ Hub BK 4TB - 98.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB - 73.9%
RAM: Unknown CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 029E CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 017A D12.2324WT.001 40GB - 69%
MBD: Asrock B360M IB-R1

7 minutes ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

Home System

UserBenchmarks: Game 61%, Desk 82%, Work 52%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 - 84.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 71.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 90.6%
HDD: Seagate Backup+ Hub BK 4TB - 98.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB - 73.9%
RAM: Unknown CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 029E CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 017A D12.2324WT.001 40GB - 69%
MBD: Asrock B360M IB-R1

Why not just use this machine then

nvm I see the problem that's a pain to keep carrying back and forth.

9 minutes ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

Is there an easy way to explain to him why I need better hardware and what the benefits would be, or a workaround?

Luckily there is. How about something like:

"Hey, this machine is too slow and I need something better for the work I do. Please get me a new one"

I'd just try and informally tally up the total productivity time lost to "waiting" that you spend over an average week--and juxtapose that against what your anticipated wait would be with better hardware.

From a productivity standpoint, that usually will highlight just how quickly an investment will pay off.

p.s.

Just offhand, it looks like RAM is really the kicker here.  Yeah, dual-core sucks in 2022.  But the really bottleneck is 4GB RAM.  I'll bet your SSD is dying a slow death with all the VRAM being written to it.

A 2x8 Memory upgrade & a 1TB SSD can be both had for ~$150.  That might be an easier sell, vs a new computer.

tell him in a calm way something like this, 

i have to wait 30 minutes each time i want to render something, that is lost work time and lost paid time for you, if i make (enter hourly time, lets say its $20) and lose 30 minutes a day thats 10 dollars gone for no reason, if i work 200 days you lose $2000, but if you invest in a better system you would lose much less than that.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Those are all great ideas! Thank you! Would it be also beneficial or shooting myself in the foot to offer to take a couple days off to help pay for it? 15$ a hour would add up quickly.

12 minutes ago, IPD said:

A 2x8 Memory upgrade & a 1TB SSD can be both had for ~$150.  That might be an easier sell, vs a new computer.

Can you even upgrade All-in-ones like that? I'm used to building in cases.

2 minutes ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

Would it be also beneficial or shooting myself in the foot to offer to take a couple days off to help pay for it?

i wouldnt, im going to guess you live in the us, if your getting an hourly rate i wouldn't care about how efficient you are, its their choice to make you more efficient or not.

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

i wouldnt, im going to guess you live in the us, if your getting an hourly rate i wouldn't care about how efficient you are, its their choice to make you more efficient or not.

What do you mean? I still like to push myself and show motivation/drive. That's how you get raises and promotions/other jobs?

Just now, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

What do you mean? I still like to push myself and show motivation/drive. That's how you get raises and promotions/other jobs?

a company needs to provide tools to an employee, tell them something like what i said above, its their loss not yours, i wouldnt expect a new company to give you a raise.

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

i wouldnt expect a new company to give you a raise.

I will be trying everyone's great advice! That's surprising I've received 2 since I started....?

15 minutes ago, adarw said:

a company needs to provide tools to an employee, tell them something like what i said above, its their loss not yours, i wouldnt expect a new company to give you a raise.

This!
Its their responsability to give you the tools to work, but its also your responsability to tell them the tools they gave you are not adequate, you don't have to take a hit in your paycheck or take your personal rig to work because they can't/won't give you a decent PC

40 minutes ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

Can you even upgrade All-in-ones like that? I'm used to building in cases.

I don't know about your specific AI1.  Most that I've seen are based around laptop stuff, so NVME + SODIMM.  And you probably don't need a SSD upgrade, but with the RAM at 4GB, it's entirely possible that the read-write cycles have all but fried it--so replacing it isn't a bad idea.  Plus, it's only 250GB.

26 minutes ago, IPD said:

I don't know about your specific AI1.  Most that I've seen are based around laptop stuff, so NVME + SODIMM.  And you probably don't need a SSD upgrade, but with the RAM at 4GB, it's entirely possible that the read-write cycles have all but fried it--so replacing it isn't a bad idea.  Plus, it's only 250GB.

If everything is soldered in including the eMMC which is not a true SSD to begin with, well it should be replaced then. That sounds like something brought cheap at Walmart. More suitable for running ChromeOS then Windows. I can buy a cheap ~$350 Laptop with better Specs then that, at Walmart no less.

Unless you’re using neural filters, nothing you do in Photoshop should come remotely close to taking 30 minutes, even on a system like that.

Either something is seriously amiss with that computer or there’s some serious exaggeration going on.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

16 hours ago, Roswell said:

Unless you’re using neural filters, nothing you do in Photoshop should come remotely close to taking 30 minutes, even on a system like that.

Either something is seriously amiss with that computer or there’s some serious exaggeration going on.

I can take a video? the biggest file I recently worked on is a 96" by 96" file that's 1.54 gb.

2 hours ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

I can take a video? the biggest file I recently worked on is a 96" by 96" file that's 1.54 gb.

Yeah then there’s something going on with the hardware. Maybe run some diagnostic tools on it and show the boss to further the cause.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the HDD is about to kick the bucket if it takes that long to load a file of that size.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Roswell said:

Yeah then there’s something going on with the hardware. Maybe run some diagnostic tools on it and show the boss to further the cause.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the HDD is about to kick the bucket if it takes that long to load a file of that size.

He doesn't have a HDD.  He has an SSD.  But it's probably nearly dead because V-RAM due to the RAM being way below spec.

2 hours ago, CerebralPalsyDriven said:

I feel like even buying an used pc for like 100 would be better at this point lol

maybe, just make sure that those $100 won't come out from your pocket.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, mdecima said:

maybe, just make sure that those $100 won't come out from your pocket.

I don't want to but it's unbearable!!

What does you cerebral palsy have to do with this?

Oh, and if as you say your employer has given you two wage increases in a year I doubt he wouldn't listen to updating one computer.

22 hours ago, Fluph said:

What does you cerebral palsy have to do with this?

I thought people would say bring my home computer, which someone did, and I can't carry it.

Oh, and if as you say your employer has given you two wage increases in a year I doubt he wouldn't listen to updating one computer.

He has informed me it's not in the budget right now.

Do you think it would be possible for you to use a vpn to remote into your home computer from work?

There are a number of free solutions which would allow you to do this such as openvpn, but I think you would need windows pro on your home machine.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, jeo said:

Do you think it would be possible for you to use a vpn to remote into your home computer from work?

There are a number of free solutions which would allow you to do this such as openvpn, but I think you would need windows pro on your home machine.

i tried teamviewer but our internet blows.