Games keep crashing??

mattdmg
Go to solution Solved by SamClan,
18 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

So everyone of my games that I play have been crashing and I hardly even play demanding games. This leads me to believe I'm likely having a hardware issue but a software issue is also possible but it's a month-old installation of Windows 11. 

what you could do, 

get another SSD/HDD and install w10 try your games and tell us if it crashes

22 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

I took out a stick of RAM and disabled XMP and knock on wood haven't had a crash yet.

I did run MemTest86 for an hour with both sticks in on a previous day with the XMP profile on even and had no errors with the test.  Would it for sure be a RAM issue if I haven't crashed yet? I would order the same kit because I do like the timings and speed. 

My RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro Samsung IC 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 Dram 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL14

That would be my guess, but I would try each RAM stick in the main slot (may need to turn XMP back on) and see how each behaves.
If it seems ok with each stick in that slot, then more likely a CPU memory controller or MB slot.
That all being said *occasionally* a reseat of the RAM helps.

Let us know what happens after all of that

9 hours ago, Frizz said:

I'll let you know after I try that.

But I know that I did try both sticks in both dual channel slots and had the same crashing result. 

9 hours ago, Frizz said:

So I haven't tried every slot but the two I was using. I tried both sticks in each slot and they haven't crashed yet on their own. They apparently only crash when in dual channel.

I have been having pretty annoying crashes on every game I play and I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is but I feel like I am pretty close. I tried just putting one RAM stick in and haven't had any crashes yet and my Rust was crashing about every 10 minutes so it wasn't hard to tell the crashing stopped.

So anyways what are some other troubleshooting steps I can try? Is it for sure the RAM or is it MOBO/CPU? I have not tested all 4 RAM slots yet but I am not sure if that is necessary yet as that would take a little bit of time. 

From what I can tell my game crashes while running this RAM kit in dual channel but not single channel with one stick.

1 minute ago, mattdmg said:

Is it for sure the RAM or is it MOBO/CPU?

It can be either. Faster RAM can usually expose instability in your CPU. It could also be a trace is a bit sketchy on your motherboard. It could also be the RAM stick you pulled is faulty. It could also be that your XMP profile isn't stable with your CPU, and removing one stick usually disables XMP. You have to do some testing to find out.

First, I'd download some stress tests. Linpack Xtreme is pretty good for memory and CPU cache, Prime95 is very good for CPU, and Memtest86 is very good for RAM. I would start with testing RAM, since it's the most likely. I would run memtest86 overnight to see if it spits out any errors. If it does, your RAM kit might be faulty. If it doesn't, I would start looking somewhere else for the error. after Memtest86, I would start running Linpack. Loop if for about 20-30 times to see if it comes back with any errors or hard locks the system. If it does, your CPU cache is probably unstable and you should try lowering it in the BIOS. After that, go to Prime95, and run that for an hour or so. That will diagnose if there is any CPU issues. Make sure your CPU doesn't overheat in either Linpack or Prime95, they both dump a ton of heat into the system. Do all those stress tests with both memory modules in and XMP on. If it fails the memory test, disable XMP and run again. 

Also, what are the specs of your system? That can point us in the direction most likely to have the issue.

I didn't notice your PSU, that thing might be a little short. 

10 hours ago, mattdmg said:

ASUS TUF RTX 3080,

TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING

Recommended PSU 850 W

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't use multiple threads for one issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, SamClan said:

I didn't notice your PSU, that thing might be a little short. 

TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING

Recommended PSU 850 W

There are people who run a 3080 with a 650W fine. And the issue is already deemed to be RAM/CPU/MOBO related

9 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

Pls dont spread misinformation. there is people who run a 3080 with a 650W fine

I don't, I said it is recommended and it is!

image.thumb.png.32d19b4dcb6885b3cb0ac5ba3be18a4e.png

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I am running some fairly fast RAM (14-14-14-39 3200Mhz) but I've tried with XMP on and off already and I still have crashing while in dual channel. I will run MemTest overnight and send results.

4 hours ago, mattdmg said:

There are people who run a 3080 with a 650W fine. And the issue is already deemed to be RAM/CPU/MOBO related

Well those are super exceptions and are often using a beyong got tier psu that can handle it. So again WHAT psu is it? 750w corsair means nothing. If it's an rmx 750 or something like that then yeah those won't work thats been tested over and over again those DO NOT work.

9 hours ago, mattdmg said:

I am running some fairly fast RAM (14-14-14-39 3200Mhz) but I've tried with XMP on and off already and I still have crashing while in dual channel. I will run MemTest overnight and send results.

Your ram is fine. You did a memtest and it came back clean. The ram is not the issue. You are having kernel and application failiure without an obivious cause. But what I am fully expecting here is the age old psu not handling the 3080. It happens even in the LIGHTEST games it's a powerspike.

So again what is your psu?

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Your ram is fine. You did a memtest and it came back clean. The ram is not the issue. You are having kernel and application failiure without an obivious cause. But what I am fully expecting here is the age old psu not handling the 3080. It happens even in the LIGHTEST games it's a powerspike.

So again what is your psu?

I've had this for less than a month:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M63H81H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

would this be better? https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-123-GM-0850-X1/dp/B093B5G7XD/ref=psdc_1161760_t2_B07M63H81H

12 hours ago, mattdmg said:

The sf 750 is a very edgecase as it can work in some systems but most of the times it doesn't The way those people get it going is by having individual cables for each port on the 3080.

As for the supernova yeah that will work. Check the psu tier list here on ltt forums for other options too as that one isn't one usually recommended due to high price.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:53 PM, jaslion said:

On 2/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, SamClan said:

On 2/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, jaslion said:

Windows 11 was my issue as Windows 10 has resolved my issues.

All y'all who said it was the power supply might wanna stick to console gaming