Games keep crashing??

mattdmg
Go to solution Solved by SamClan,
18 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

So everyone of my games that I play have been crashing and I hardly even play demanding games. This leads me to believe I'm likely having a hardware issue but a software issue is also possible but it's a month-old installation of Windows 11. 

what you could do, 

get another SSD/HDD and install w10 try your games and tell us if it crashes

So I've been facing a lot of system instability as every game I play will crash after 10-30 minutes of playing and I am not sure how to troubleshoot it. When my games crash there is never a crash message or anything they are very "clean" crashes. My game will lock up for a second or two and then I will instantly be on my desktop like an app crash on iOS. But anyway that's what the crashes are like and I am not sure how to troubleshoot them without any crash messages or anything. 

I've also taken off all my overclocks so that's not the issue, I have latest Nvidia drivers, and latest BIOS update. 

1 minute ago, mattdmg said:

So I've been facing a lot of system instability as every game I play will crash after 10-30 minutes of playing and I am not sure how to troubleshoot it. When my games crash there is never a crash message or anything it's they are very "clean" crashes. My game will lock up for a second or two and then I will instantly be on my desktop like an app crash on iOS. But anyway that's what the crashes are like and I am not sure how to troubleshoot them without any crash messages or anything. 

I've also taken off all my overclocks so that's not the issue, I have latest Nvidia drivers, and latest BIOS update. 

Any logs in event viewer -> system around that time? 
Error or critical are the main ones to worry on

Also, is it more then one game? That would more likely point to hardware issues

3 minutes ago, Frizz said:

It is more than one game. I'm thinking it's hardware but I am completely stumped on what it is. 

I had a couple blue screens last week but haven't had any since. I think that's what the critical errors are.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 164618.png

7 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

It is more than one game. I'm thinking it's hardware but I am completely stumped on what it is.

What hardware are you running?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

I had a couple blue screens last week but haven't had any since. I think that's what the critical errors are.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 164618.png

Sorry I explained poorly (my system is being repaired ATM so I can't send pics of what I exactly mean. Kinda ironic LOL)

Once you open event viewer, find "System" under windows logs I think. If you can't verify when the game(s) last crashed then try to reproduce it. After it happens check these logs to see if anything seems off. Send a pic here.

My first guess is RAM issues.
Another thing to try after this *if you feel comfortable* is power down the system, remove power from the wall and take out one stick of RAM. See if problem continues, keep doing this until you are down to 1 stick in the main slot. 
Then try a different stick in that slot.
You can even (on the off chance) try your graphics card in a different PCI-e slot just to double check what the issue is not
If that isn't an option download memtest86 and put it on a USB drive. Test the RAM that way

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

2 minutes ago, Frizz said:

r7 5800x @stock with AIO, ASUS TUF RTX 3080 @stock, 16GB 2x8 CL 14 3200Mhz (I have XMP profile off right now and issue still is there), ASRock X570s PG

I will try that.

9 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

r7 5800x @stock with AIO, ASUS TUF RTX 3080 @stock, 16GB 2x8 CL 14 3200Mhz (I have XMP profile off right now and issue still is there), ASRock X570s PG

I will try that.

You've got a beefy enough PSU to power the 3080 through wattage spikes? Been seeing some threads lately of people having some games crash due to the PSU not being able to handle the power demands. Though I forget if the PC shut off altogether or just the games crashed. You could test this by pulling the power target in something like Afterburner as low as possible and seeing if it still crashes. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

51 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You've got a beefy enough PSU to power the 3080 through wattage spikes? Been seeing some threads lately of people having some games crash due to the PSU not being able to handle the power demands. Though I forget if the PC shut off altogether or just the games crashed. You could test this by pulling the power target in something like Afterburner as low as possible and seeing if it still crashes. 

it's 750w platinum that should be enough

Is a well known issue at this point. Even good 850w PSUs are known to fail powering 3080 and cause your issue. You can try putting the Power Limiter in afterburner to 50% and play the games again. If you do not crash then likely this is the issue and you will need to upgrade to 1000w gold or platinum unit. If with 50% limiter, you still crash then might be something else.

8 minutes ago, stage said:

Is a well known issue at this point. Even good 850w PSUs are known to fail powering 3080 and cause your issue. You can try putting the Power Limiter in afterburner to 50% and play the games again. If you do not crash then likely this is the issue and you will need to upgrade to 1000w gold or platinum unit. If with 50% limiter, you still crash then might be something else.

eh, doubt it. I'm crashing while playing games like Dota 2 and League. Hence my GPU is below 50% load

The load does not matter that much. The spikes are milliseconds, won't show on any monitoring program.

2 minutes ago, stage said:

The load does not matter that much. The spikes are milliseconds, won't show on any monitoring program.

So if my card is pulling 200w @50% load it will magically pull 500?

1 minute ago, stage said:

"I have been running a RMx 650W with a 3700X + 3080 and have not had any instability."

The load does matter as work is wattage

8 hours ago, Frizz said:

Sorry I explained poorly (my system is being repaired ATM so I can't send pics of what I exactly mean. Kinda ironic LOL)

Once you open event viewer, find "System" under windows logs I think. If you can't verify when the game(s) last crashed then try to reproduce it. After it happens check these logs to see if anything seems off. Send a pic here.

My first guess is RAM issues.
Another thing to try after this *if you feel comfortable* is power down the system, remove power from the wall and take out one stick of RAM. See if problem continues, keep doing this until you are down to 1 stick in the main slot. 
Then try a different stick in that slot.
You can even (on the off chance) try your graphics card in a different PCI-e slot just to double check what the issue is not
If that isn't an option download memtest86 and put it on a USB drive. Test the RAM that way

this was result

Screenshot 2022-02-01 005855.png

5 hours ago, mattdmg said:

this was result

Screenshot 2022-02-01 005855.png

Hmm that one just basically says Dota crashed (who knew haha)

what is the text of the next two events below it, the warning and error?

So everyone of my games that I play have been crashing and I hardly even play demanding games. This leads me to believe I'm likely having a hardware issue but a software issue is also possible but it's a month-old installation of Windows 11. 

My specs: R7 5800x, ASRock x570s PG, 16GB CL 14 3200Mhz RAM, ASUS TUF RTX 3080, and a 750W PSU.

I have the latest BIOS, have reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers with DDU, and I have removed all overclocks including RAM and am still crashing. I have recently changed out my motherboard but I am not certain whether or not I was experiencing the same crashes beforehand as it was a few months ago. 

When the games crash I get not error messages or anything. But here is the messages I get from event viewer when my games crash

1.png

2.png

18 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

what you could do, 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

1 minute ago, SamClan said:

what you could do, 

Do you think my boot drive is defective? I do have most of my games on my boot drive but on my secondary SSD those games will also crash. Will that not matter or should I still try a new windows installation on a new drive?

I do believe it is w11 fault, It has problems with ryzen cpus. 

the moment everything works with w10 we know it is w11. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

What 750w psu is that? A 3080 rarely ever works stably on a 750w unit due to it's power spikes

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What 750w psu is that? A 3080 rarely ever works stably on a 750w unit due to it's power spikes

My games are crashing every 10-20 minutes. I can be playing insanely light games like Fortnite or Dota 2 (so GPU is below half load) and it will still crash. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:43 PM, Frizz said:

On 1/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, Zando Bob said:

I took out a stick of RAM and disabled XMP and knock on wood haven't had a crash yet.

I did run MemTest86 for an hour with both sticks in on a previous day with the XMP profile on even and had no errors with the test.  Would it for sure be a RAM issue if I haven't crashed yet? I would order the same kit because I do like the timings and speed. 

My RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro Samsung IC 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 Dram 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL14

11 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

My games are crashing every 10-20 minutes. I can be playing insanely light games like Fortnite or Dota 2 (so GPU is below half load) and it will still crash. 

What psu is it? The load doesn't matter it's the gpu spiking.