512MB DDR2 vs 256 DDR3 GPU's

Phaeton The Dragon

Howdy everyone! I'm doing a budget build with my friend, and I found a good a good deal on a pair of RX 560's. Unfortunately they are stuck in shipping limbo for quite some time so I peeked into my pc parts bin and found my old cards from previous years/builds. I heard higher DDR is the way to go but I remember my 512 card doing decent (but oh that was so many years ago) also apologies if my pictures are too big!

20220129_094408.thumb.jpg.b4cce6e5fb702ed508b358475696d97c.jpg

20220129_094350.thumb.jpg.c5068d1686c91f1508b7b8e1d30a7559.jpg

Hold up. You're not going to be using an AGP X800 in anything even close to modern, so that's a bust.

Also why would you trap your "friend" with a card so old that any IGP could literally run circles around it with both legs tied behind it's head?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

My motherboard is quite old, so i can use either or most likely. An ASUS A88XM-plus, with a A10-5800k. I tried to build a pc for him but its tough to make anything under $1200-$1500 cad at the moment. So a free peasant machine is better than nothing in my personal opinion!

4 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

My motherboard is quite old, so i can use either or most likely. An ASUS A88XM-plus, with a A10-5800k. I tried to build a pc for him but its tough to make anything under $1200-$1500 cad at the moment. So a free peasant machine is better than nothing in my personal opinion!

Ha. Man, that's good. Nothing made in the last... what, 15 years? Has AGP. It died many, many years ago. And no, an A88XM-Plus does not have AGP and the A10 5800K IGP is FAR more powerful than either of those ancient cards you posted.

So don't curse your friend with a Direct X 8.1 card please. Just use the APU's built in graphics processing capabilities.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

but its tough to make anything under $1200-$1500 cad at the moment

Even a 5600G in B550 with 16GB 3200/3600C16?

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Even a 5600G in B550 with 16GB 3200/3600C16?

Just ran it though PCPP, a 5600G with a base ASRock B550M and 16GB of 3600MHz RAM would run $445 CAD. So that's a 110% viable option. Way better than a clunky old A10 that's for sure.

Sure is, however still at the end of the day with peripherals your looking at a couple of bux. Plus i can re-purpose an old machine and keep the cost low. I know its not the best stuff, but so far we spent almost pennies and we aren't looking to play new games on ultra. Just an upgrade from a console to the versatility of a pc.

So even with an old A10-5800k integrated graphics is still a better option that either of my old gpu's? Haha

28 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

Sure is, however still at the end of the day with peripherals your looking at a couple of bux. Plus i can re-purpose an old machine and keep the cost low. I know its not the best stuff, but so far we spent almost pennies and we aren't looking to play new games on ultra. Just an upgrade from a console to the versatility of a pc.

So even with an old A10-5800k integrated graphics is still a better option that either of my old gpu's? Haha

The a10 is worse than the ps4 and xbox one by a good chunk. This computer WILL NOT play any modern game past like 2015 at higher than the lowest settings at most at 720p but often below that to keep 30 ish fps.

Don't use this thing get something like this and it's an excellent start off point with an easy gpu add later:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bVqnTn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($288.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($105.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($133.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $957.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-29 13:44 EST-0500

Still leaves 543 cad to get peripherals.

This system will play any game on the market at 1080p low settings 60fps. Compared to a system that is pretty much just an office computer and nothing else.

The vega gpu in the 5600g is even within 20% of the rx 560 so you'll almost get full performance to what can be expected in the future. You said you got a pair of 560's? Any reason for that?

14 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

100% my friend. The A10, for what it's worth, is not a terrible chip. If you can afford the Ryzen options then by all means go for it, but if your friend is that limited on money the A10 will carry them a long way for now, especially in the terrible market we're experiencing. 

Those old cards you have serve a purpose, sure. In a retro build. I'd use them in one of my XP machines personally (and do, I have AGP X850 XT at use in my Athlon XP rig) for our classic LAN parties we have every year (except for the last two, thanks COVID). But that's about their only real world use these days. Even using them for media would be a challenge as they don't support modern video codecs.

1 hour ago, ApolloX75 said:

Ha. Man, that's good. Nothing made in the last... what, 15 years? Has AGP. It died many, many years ago. And no, an A88XM-Plus does not have AGP and the A10 5800K IGP is FAR more powerful than either of those ancient cards you posted.

So don't curse your friend with a Direct X 8.1 card please. Just use the APU's built in graphics processing capabilities.

I remember the time when Nvidia used to sell GPUs with a PCIe to AGP adapter! I think that was ALL the way back in 2006-ish when the so called "supercomputer" PS3 with so called "7 cores @ 3.2GHz" and an Nvidia NSX GPU a.k.a slightly crippled Nvidia G70 was all the rage. 

Good times. I was an AGP elitist back in the days and was convinced that PCIe (alongside SATA) was the worst thing to happen to humanity since WW2.

Overemotional teenagers, eh?!

1 minute ago, Man said:

Good times. I was an AGP elitist back in the days and was convinced that PCIe (alongside SATA) was the worst thing to happen to humanity since WW2.

Overemotional teenagers, eh?!

So was I! I bought an A8V Deluxe (S939) which was one of the last "high end" AGP boards for that platform and used it with my X850 XT for years because I was an AGP snob. LOL.

That board was so problematic. Damn I do not miss VIA chipsets at all.

I saw the light when SLI was resurrected and switched to a PCI-E based system when I finally upgraded from 64 X2 to a Core2Quad. But damn was I stubborn.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The vega gpu in the 5600g is even within 20% of the rx 560 so you'll almost get full performance to what can be expected in the future. You said you got a pair of 560's? Any reason for that?

I got a really good deal on them, and they are compatible with my motherboard and there isnt much available in stock at the moment. Plus i can crossfire them for slightly more than a single card thats available. Basically only 1030's and a couple 1050ti's or radeon 720's

4 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

I got a really good deal on them, and they are compatible with my motherboard and there isnt much available in stock at the moment. Plus i can crossfire them for slightly more than a single card thats available. Basically only 1030's and a couple 1050ti's or radeon 720's

Don't bother with crossfire. It's been dead for years. No games support multi gpu anymore and there is so much more that it will do wrong than be helpful in the handful of older games that have ok crossfire support. So save yourself the trouble and don't even bother.

For now just get the system I linked and you have a pc that is ready for any card in the future and is a really good pc as is for starting to game.

Going with the a10 is not something I recommend as the a10 is an incredibly weak cpu and will just not game anything remotely recent.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Don't bother with crossfire. It's been dead for years. No games support multi gpu anymore and there is so much more that it will do wrong than be helpful in the handful of older games that have ok crossfire support. So save yourself the trouble and don't even bother.

If the game doesn't support crossfire, will it only use one card? Or will it have serious negative effects like crazy artifacts, tearing and other baloney?

2 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

If the game doesn't support crossfire, will it only use one card? Or will it have serious negative effects like crazy artifacts, tearing and other baloney?

If the game doesn't use crossfire best case nothing happens but often one of the following happens:

Worse performance

Tearing

Game does not function

Driver crash

Graphical glitching

Just don't use the second card it's not worth it. Especially as time goes on and crossfire isn't maintained in the driver it will only get worse.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

If the game doesn't use crossfire best case nothing happens but often one of the following happens:

Worse performance

Tearing

Game does not function

Driver crash

Graphical glitching

Just don't use the second card it's not worth it. Especially as time goes on and crossfire isn't maintained in the driver it will only get worse.

Well gee willikers, not exactly the answer i was hoping for, but i guess thats the way she goes sometimes lol. Well since we already own them theres no harm in trying them out anyway. My group mainly plays older games that do most likely support it maybe perhaps haha. Perhaps a deal on a 1060 or something will come along. 

38 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

Well gee willikers, not exactly the answer i was hoping for, but i guess thats the way she goes sometimes lol. Well since we already own them theres no harm in trying them out anyway. My group mainly plays older games that do most likely support it maybe perhaps haha. Perhaps a deal on a 1060 or something will come along. 

What games?

4 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

Just ran it though PCPP, a 5600G with a base ASRock B550M and 16GB of 3600MHz RAM would run $445 CAD. So that's a 110% viable option. Way better than a clunky old A10 that's for sure.

How in Hell did you manage to Spec a 5600G Rig for only $445?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

What games?

Call of duty world at war, borderlands 1 and 2, worms Armageddon, minecraft, half life 2, css, csgo, easy red 2, sub rosa, garrys mod fallout new vegas, that sort of stuff.

3 minutes ago, Phaeton The Dragon said:

Call of duty world at war, borderlands 1 and 2, worms Armageddon, minecraft, half life 2, css, csgo, easy red 2, sub rosa, garrys mod fallout new vegas, that sort of stuff.

Of all those games 1 supports crossfire and that is new vegas. But crossfire support is so poor the game usually runs worse. So pretty much don't use the second 560 and sell it on.

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

How in Hell did you manage to Spec a 5600G Rig for only $445?

That's a cheap B550 mobo, RAM and the APU only. Nothing else. Tack probably another $2-300 on there for the rest and you've got a good setup for under a grand though. Especially if you're frugal and cut some corners where you can.

4 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

That's a cheap B550 mobo, RAM and the APU only. Nothing else. Tack probably another $2-300 on there for the rest and you've got a good setup for under a grand though. Especially if you're frugal and cut some corners where you can.

I see. How much for the board?

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I see. How much for the board?

Here. An example. I tweaked it for some faster RAM and a board that doesn't have a mail in rebate, so it's a bit more expensive, but tune as you like. There are AsRock boards that are cheaper but they have mail in rebates right now that make them so. 

Personally I despise AsRock boards, but they do work. Most of the time.

22 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Personally I despise AsRock boards, but they do work. Most of the time.

Why do you despise ASrock boards?

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Why do you despise ASrock boards?

Just too many DOAs, missing features that other brands have as standard, crap BIOS options, terrible designs and layouts... they have frustrated me a lot over the years, especially when I was building systems constantly and having to RMA or replace every other board of theirs that I used.

Every brand has their issues but I find with AsRock it's just multiplied. I'd like to say my concerns are from the past but I built three Ryzen systems last year and used AsRock boards by request of the people I built them for ('cause they're cheaper) and of course, had all three fail in some way. Maybe it's just terrible luck on my part?

I have my issues with most manufacturers, as does everybody. Take MSI for instance, often terrible layouts: port positioning like SATA ports being directly behind the PCI-E slot so if you use a long card it hangs right over top of them on certain boards. They've gotten better mind you, I have a Z590-A Pro in my current system and it was actually almost perfect layout wise.

They're all going to have something that people won't like. AsRock just likes to amp it up and be terrible everywhere.