Magnetic screwdriver?

Wackojacko

hey all,

i have a question about magnetic screwdriver, cuz i'm getting a lot of different messages and i'm a bit confused.

so,

my question is: if building a case, will a magnetic screwdriver damage any of the components? motherboard, GPU etc. because they are static sensitive and all.

thanks

Its safe.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

Nope. I've been building with magnetic screwdriver for a while and have never had any issues..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

just did my first build with a mag screwdriver and had no problems. So i think its safe to say that using a magnetic screwdriver will not damage any of your internal components. 

I have never had any issues with magnetized screwdriver.

Just remember to use the correct phillips head screwdriver, magnetized #2 phillips and you will never drop a motherboard screw.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

thanks for all the reactions guys! this really cleared this thing up

thanks for all the reactions guys! this really cleared this thing up

No Problem, glad to help! :)

THe only problem might be if you had like an electromagnet screwdriver and mushed it all over you hard drive.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Try to use one, I've built a few PC's with out one and its horrible. Screws dropping everywhere and stuff.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

All of mine are magnetized or end up being magnetized, its the best way to pickup screws that fall in the case, well cases too heavy to lift and shake the screw out of.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

All of mine are magnetized or end up being magnetized, its the best way to pickup screws that fall in the case, well cases too heavy to lift and shake the screw out of.

i just got an immagine in my head of a startrooter shaking a case over its head to get out the screw he lost lmfao.

hey all,

i have a question about magnetic screwdriver, cuz i'm getting a lot of different messages and i'm a bit confused.

so,

my question is: if building a case, will a magnetic screwdriver damage any of the components? motherboard, GPU etc. because they are static sensitive and all.

thanks

No, I think it's better to anyway so you don't lose your screws.

It is not that strong of a magnet to rip 1' and 0's off a HDD platter.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

The only way a magnetised screwdriver could be bad is if you drag it along the PCB's, severing traces. 

Of course there's the same risk with non-magnetised screwdrivers, though.

WEll you tell me whats better:

Drop a screw with your non-magnetic screwdriver without realizing it. you turn your PC on and it shorts something out and you have to get a new part.

OR

hang on to that screw with a magnetic screwdriver and avoid the problem completely.

xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

no

WEll you tell me whats better:

Drop a screw with your non-magnetic screwdriver without realizing it. you turn your PC on and it shorts something out and you have to get a new part.

OR

hang on to that screw with a magnetic screwdriver and avoid the problem completely.

xD

It's safe either way.

Well I thought too i could not use a magnetic screwdriver but seems i can:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

TO be honest I didn't think it was smart to use one either until I started working at my new job a couple years ago and seen my boss use one.. he told me it wasn't harmful and thats how I learned about it.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

I'd actually like to see how many orders of magnitude the HDD spindle head is more magnetic than a magnetic screwdriver.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB