Capped at 500 MB/s

NextraMia
Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

Bench it with CrystalDiskMark to ensure it's getting the correct speed. If it's good there, then yeah, it's as @jaslionsaid: not every use case is going to fully saturate the bandwidth. There's a lot of applications that just don't need those transfer speeds. For Steam, the main bottleneck is going to be your downlink. The actual drive write speeds are it just unpacking what it's been able to download, which will be faster, but it's still going to hit a wall from running out of data to unpack while waiting for the rest of the download.

Hello!
I got some Samsung 980 Pro's and on the package it says it's capable of up to 7000MB/s yet when i do steam updates it only reaches around 500MB/s. I have it in a NVMe port on my motherboard and when it does the 500MB/s it doesn't do 100% load... is this a common thing or am i missing something?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||| GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING OC ||| Motherboard: Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ||RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR-4400 CL16 ||| PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ ||| Case: Lian Li - O11 Dynamic Evo ||| Storage: 2x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME SSD ||| Cooling: (CPU: EKWB RGB 360 AIO) (Case-Fans: Lian Li SL-120 Infinity)

The steam update is just not able to use the full speed of it or it's doing a task where it can't do full speed.

I mean it's why to this day you really need to have a specific usecase to see the difference between a decent sata ssd and the fastest nvme drive out there. For generic use and gaming there is basically no difference since programs aren't optimized to use such high bandwiths and often run into other bottlenecks along the way be it hardware or software wise.

14 minutes ago, NextraMia said:

it's capable of up to 7000MB/s yet when i do steam updates it only reaches around 500MB/s.

If you're doing updates to games in Steam it will be largely dependent on your internet speed. What's your internet speed? 

There's programs such as crystal disk mark and HD sentinel that will let you benchmark the read/write performance of your drive. Try that and see what speed you get with the drive.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Bench it with CrystalDiskMark to ensure it's getting the correct speed. If it's good there, then yeah, it's as @jaslionsaid: not every use case is going to fully saturate the bandwidth. There's a lot of applications that just don't need those transfer speeds. For Steam, the main bottleneck is going to be your downlink. The actual drive write speeds are it just unpacking what it's been able to download, which will be faster, but it's still going to hit a wall from running out of data to unpack while waiting for the rest of the download.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The steam update is just not able to use the full speed of it or it's doing a task where it can't do full speed.

I mean it's why to this day you really need to have a specific usecase to see the difference between a decent sata ssd and the fastest nvme drive out there. For generic use and gaming there is basically no difference since programs aren't optimized to use such high bandwiths and often run into other bottlenecks along the way be it hardware or software wise.

i see i see

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||| GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING OC ||| Motherboard: Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ||RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR-4400 CL16 ||| PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ ||| Case: Lian Li - O11 Dynamic Evo ||| Storage: 2x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME SSD ||| Cooling: (CPU: EKWB RGB 360 AIO) (Case-Fans: Lian Li SL-120 Infinity)

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you're doing updates to games in Steam it will be largely dependent on your internet speed. What's your internet speed? 

There's programs such as crystal disk mark and HD sentinel that will let you benchmark the read/write performance of your drive. Try that and see what speed you get with the drive.

i have 500/500 Fiber

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

thx

i guess steam just can't do it faster, got 6705 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark 🙂
thx for help

33 minutes ago, NextraMia said:

i guess steam just can't do it faster, got 6705 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark 🙂
thx for help

If you have 500/500 fibre then steam only does 500mbit/s and not 500mbyte/s as you wrote. That would be factor 8 more. Your ssd is MUCH faster. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

• 2 weeks later...

it's not on downloads i'm talking about... i'm talking about the validations aka disk only