If I can afford the noise, is it bad to run your fans at higher speed?

Zeke_
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

If you don't mind the noise, its perfectly fine.

.. get some new fans.

What the title says, one of my fans slightly rattles at lower speeds so I started running it at 60% speed minimum so it would stop. Is this alright? I also have one of my case fans running at 100% all the time. I don't mind the whoooosh noise at all.

Update: the whoosh turned back into a grinding sound and I replaced the fan with a Noctua fan and it's fixed.

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

Just now, rickeo said:

If you don't mind the noise, its perfectly fine.

.. get some new fans.

Okay good to know.

Yeah, it's my CPU fan on the Vetroo V5. As soon as the build was complete I noticed it rattled and it made me crazy so I had to adjust the fan curve. Thanks for the info 🙂

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

My experience has been that the RPM variation is what ages fans.  Even constant spinning at 100% RPM for an eternity--is probably better for the fan than pinging between idle (or off) and 80% and back....again and again.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, Zeke_ said:

What the title says, one of my fans slightly rattles at lower speeds so I started running it at 60% speed minimum so it would stop. Is this alright? I also have one of my case fans running at 100% all the time. I don't mind the whoooosh noise at all.

If the fan spins at low rpm, it may not have the oil pressure to fully lubricate the fan shaft

8 hours ago, RTXOutOfStockEdition said:

If the fan spins at low rpm, it may not have the oil pressure to fully lubricate the fan shaft

Sorry I have dummy brain, does this mean that if I run it at a higher speed for a while and then go back to a lower speed, it may be lubricated enough that it will not make the noise anymore?

#BudgetMasterRace

A fan's MTBF is given at 100% load. The slower it runs the longer it runs.. if a shaft isn't getting lubed then it is a shitty fan, don't buy more.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 1/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, Zeke_ said:

Okay good to know.

Yeah, it's my CPU fan on the Vetroo V5. As soon as the build was complete I noticed it rattled and it made me crazy so I had to adjust the fan curve. Thanks for the info 🙂

I'm curious about this. That's a good cheap air cooler that I've recommended a few times.

Is this the fan that came with the cooler? That fan has a hydraulic bearing in it. 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, Zeke_ said:

one of my fans slightly rattles at lower speeds

Which at lower speed, they do have a tendency to make a little bit more noise at low RPMs. 

Does the noise consistently go away at around the same RPM? 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 hours ago, Zeke_ said:

Sorry I have dummy brain, does this mean that if I run it at a higher speed for a while and then go back to a lower speed, it may be lubricated enough that it will not make the noise anymore?

the rotation of the shaft creates a hydrodynamic pressure in the oil which lifts the shaft. this "buoyancy" keeps the shaft from rubbing against the wall of the bearings. this is the purpose of lubrication. running the fan at too low speed may actually shorten the life of the fan. 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, Zeke_ said:

one of my fans slightly rattles at lower speeds

This is a design/manufacturing issue and there is nothing you can do.The fan's weight distribution is not even and at certain rpm generates vibration. Just avoid running the fan at speeds that give you problems. 

21 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'm curious about this. That's a good cheap air cooler that I've recommended a few times.

Is this the fan that came with the cooler? That fan has a hydraulic bearing in it. 

Which at lower speed, they do have a tendency to make a little bit more noise at low RPMs. 

Does the noise consistently go away at around the same RPM? 

It is the included fan. As far as consistency, not really. I ended up taking it off and re mounting it and it makes the noise less frequently but it was very audible, almost like a grinding sound. It seemed like no matter the fan curve it would rattle at some point or another, I ended up just ordering a Noctua fan to attach to it.

It's worth mentioning, it seems that the house is almost a metallic type sound, which initially made me think it could be vibrating against the tower part of the cooler but it has rubber anti vibration pads and it also wouldn't make much sense for it to only do that at random RPM's low and high.

Edited by Zeke_
More context

#BudgetMasterRace