15m HDMI 2.1 cable suggestions?

Plermpel

Hello,

I have my PC connected to my TV all the time, since it is 12m away I need a super long HDMI cable but I haven't found one yet.

Allready tried the second active optical cable, but I can't even get 60Hz with HDR working, not even dreaming from 120Hz.

Did anyone realise that yet? Are there even cables capable of that, the last two cables I had where certified and did cost about 100$

I don't realy want to spend much more, if it's not absolutly nesesary.

Linus has that fancy cable tester, and if I am not wrong he didn't suggest going longer than 8m for HDMI 2.1.

I assume you need 2 high quality cables and extra adapter between them.

Is it really impossible to move computer closer to TV? 

For most content consuming and web browsing you don't need a huge PC... For sure something silent can be kept right behind TV. I for example use Pi 400, most people still suggest shield tv if you want android. Mini PCs come in different shapes and flavors.

2 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Linus has that fancy cable tester, and if I am not wrong he didn't suggest going longer than 8m for HDMI 2.1.

I assume you need 2 high quality cables and extra adapter between them.

Is it really impossible to move computer closer to TV? 

For most content consuming and web browsing you don't need a huge PC... For sure something silent can be kept right behind TV. I for example use Pi 400, most people still suggest shield tv if you want android. Mini PCs come in different shapes and flavors.

But AFAIK he only tested conventional copper cables. There must be a way 😕
Shure it would be possibly but I'd need to change my whole living room setup which not worth the effort.
Also I do use the PC for gaming on the TV so another PC is no option either.

5 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

But AFAIK he only tested conventional copper cables. There must be a way 😕
Shure it would be possibly but I'd need to change my whole living room setup which not worth the effort.
Also I do use the PC for gaming on the TV so another PC is no option either.

part of the HDMI Spec is to carry some electricity, so you can't do that over fiber.

you can potentially do it with ethernet adapters, but it won't come cheap for 2.1

Correct my if I'm wrong, but hdmi is a pass/fail sort of connection...  just buy 2 of the absolute cheapest hdmi 2.1 cables and a coupler and see if it works.  Buy it from amazon and return it if it fails.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

11 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Correct my if I'm wrong, but hdmi is a pass/fail sort of connection...  just buy 2 of the absolute cheapest hdmi 2.1 cables and a coupler and see if it works.  Buy it from amazon and return it if it fails.

wrong in that way..hdmi cable the longer the run the weaker the signal gets
1080p can go a pretty good distance before degradation, ive seen up to 30ft heard of it going 50ft
4k 2.0 now thats where it starts getting rough 4k 444 8bit can go up to 10ft before you can start seeing degradation but a booster or active fiber allowed you to go further (up to 30ft ive seen)
4k 2.1 is even worse especially if your doing 120hz. about 6ft is all you can go otherwise you need active fiber hdmi and even then you "might" still run into issues (havent heard about boosters yet for 2.1)
so in all the higher the res your running the more info is sent so the longer it is the weaker the signal gets.
the better quality cable you get the better chances of it working

11 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Versioned cables do not exist. Look for the speed certifications that correspond to your needs.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

17 hours ago, circeseye said:

wrong in that way..hdmi cable the longer the run the weaker the signal gets
1080p can go a pretty good distance before degradation, ive seen up to 30ft heard of it going 50ft
4k 2.0 now thats where it starts getting rough 4k 444 8bit can go up to 10ft before you can start seeing degradation but a booster or active fiber allowed you to go further (up to 30ft ive seen)
4k 2.1 is even worse especially if your doing 120hz. about 6ft is all you can go otherwise you need active fiber hdmi and even then you "might" still run into issues (havent heard about boosters yet for 2.1)
so in all the higher the res your running the more info is sent so the longer it is the weaker the signal gets.
the better quality cable you get the better chances of it working

Let me add a bit of information: I have 58 feet of hdmi ( a 50' and an 8' with a coupler) between my pc and my TV downstairs.  It sends 2560x1440 with surround sound no problem.  Both of these cables where the cheapest I could find (so presumably not high quality).  If I had taken everyone on here's advice I would have wasted $180 on HDMI over LAN.  We all love to over-complicate things on here (it makes us feel smart).  Try the simple solution first and see if it works.

2 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Let me add a bit of information: I have 58 feet of hdmi ( a 50' and an 8' with a coupler) between my pc and my TV downstairs.  It sends 2560x1440 with surround sound no problem.  Both of these cables where the cheapest I could find (so presumably not high quality).  If I had taken everyone on here's advice I would have wasted $180 on HDMI over LAN.  We all love to over-complicate things on here (it makes us feel smart).  Try the simple solution first and see if it works.

ok so your saying you got 2k to work at 58ft?....very nice..... but its still not the bandwidth of 4k 60hz or 4k 120. copper hdmi just cant do the distance without help
its all about bandwidth and how far it can travel before signal failure
1080 and 2k is only 8.16Gbits hdmi 1.4 can handle both, its why you can go so far
but hdmi 2.0 4k 60hz is 18Gbits and cant travel as far without help
and hdmi 2.1  4k 120hz is 40 to 48Gbits and really really needs help going distance

its not over complicated at all..maybe actually read about it?

For this distance you will need optical fibre cables. There are several that work, but they're very expensive.

The ones by RUIPRO work, i also have one of these.

Here is another option i saw a few days ago:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

For this distance you will need optical fibre cables. There are several that work, but they're very expensive.

The ones by RUIPRO work, i also have one of these.

Like I said, I allready had two different certified ultra high speed firbre optical cables before, which both didn't work. The one by RUIPRO costs about 200 bucks here, but if you say it works I'm goona try it.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, BiotechBen said:

Might I recommend display port, and then a quality adapter?

can you recommend a quality adapter?

EDIT: It should be said that the cable needs to transport 4K 120Hz with HDR and Dolby Atmos Surround.

1 hour ago, Plermpel said:

Like I said, I allready had two different certified ultra high speed firbre optical cables before, which both didn't work. The one by RUIPRO costs about 200 bucks here, but if you say it works I'm goona try it.

It was THIS one. Works with my LG C9 and RTX 3080. With full 4K 120Hz RGB including Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision or HDR10. So i can confirm it's indeed 48Gbps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:59 PM, circeseye said:

ok so your saying you got 2k to work at 58ft?....very nice..... but its still not the bandwidth of 4k 60hz or 4k 120. copper hdmi just cant do the distance without help
its all about bandwidth and how far it can travel before signal failure
1080 and 2k is only 8.16Gbits hdmi 1.4 can handle both, its why you can go so far
but hdmi 2.0 4k 60hz is 18Gbits and cant travel as far without help
and hdmi 2.1  4k 120hz is 40 to 48Gbits and really really needs help going distance

its not over complicated at all..maybe actually read about it?

I think there is a misunderstanding.  I was explicitly told that it wouldn't work: And it did.  And I saved hundreds of dollars.  I'm telling the OP to start cheap and move up only if necessary.