my memory choice sucks

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
4 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

so you 2 r suggesting i go for ddr4 3600?

yeah, DDR4 3600 to 4000 would provide pretty similar performance to basic DDR5 as of right now

Budget (including currency): idk, i dont care about the price

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming, general productivity

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

specs= i9 12900k, rtx 3090, 2 tb seagate firecuda 530 m.2 boot drive, fractal meshify 2, lian li galahad 240 mm aio, corsair rm 1000x,

question= which ram should i get, my options are 

1. g.skill ripjaw ddr4 4400 c19

2. g.skill ripjaws s5 5600 ddr4

3. g.skill tridentz5 6000 ddr5

assuming i havent bought a mobo yet, but am looking at a z690 asus rog strix z690 e, or a asus z690 p for ddr4, 

which ram should i get?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

4 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

assuming i havent bought a mobo yet, but am looking at a z690 asus rog strix z590 e, or a asus z690 p for ddr4, 

which ram should i get?

Z590 won't work with 12th gen Intel, it's for 11th and 10th gen. 

In terms of real world performance, benchmarks show that performance past DDR4-4000 levels off for the most part, even compared to DDR5. Personally I don't think it's worth investing in, and by the time it has meaningful benefits over DDR4, you will probably want a fresh CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

28 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Z590 won't work with 12th gen Intel, it's for 11th and 10th gen. 

In terms of real world performance, benchmarks show that performance past DDR4-4000 levels off for the most part, even compared to DDR5. Personally I don't think it's worth investing in, and by the time it has meaningful benefits over DDR4, you will probably want a fresh CPU.

i have clearly written z690

so you are saying that i should not build my pc now and build it later once ddr5 becomes better?

what if i use the ddr4 4400?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

3 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

i have clearly written z690

38 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

z690 asus rog strix z590 e

And then some

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

you are saying that i should not build my pc now and build it later once ddr5 becomes better?

If you HAVE  to have DDR5, yes. Wait. 

10 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

what if i use the ddr4 4400

There's still no major performance difference between 4000 or even 3600.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

49 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

so you are saying that i should not build my pc now and build it later once ddr5 becomes better?

what if i use the ddr4 4400

I would recommend either building a PC now with very fast DDR4, or if you already have a good PC, just keep that PC until a big improvement can be made. 

I didn't see a mention of the PC you currently have in your original post so I leave that judgement up to you. But for the time being I don't recommend DDR5 because of how expensive it is, even though it provides a very similar experience. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

Budget (including currency): idk, i dont care about the price

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming, general productivity

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

specs= i9 12900k, rtx 3090, 2 tb seagate firecuda 530 m.2 boot drive, fractal meshify 2, lian li galahad 240 mm aio, corsair rm 1000x,

question= which ram should i get, my options are 

1. g.skill ripjaw ddr4 4400 c19

2. g.skill ripjaws s5 5600 ddr4

3. g.skill tridentz5 6000 ddr5

assuming i havent bought a mobo yet, but am looking at a z690 asus rog strix z590 e, or a asus z690 p for ddr4, 

which ram should i get?

Go for ddr4, crucial ballistix should suffice as 32gb ballistix is single rank so you can expect 4500+ cl18 depending on how you tune it, if you need decent speed but tight timings then have a look at 32gb samsung b die kits which usually have timings like cl15/14 as any decent b die kit will do 4000 cl14

You didnt really specify what capacity so im just gonna assume 32gb, though if you want 16gb then just get some cl15/14 rams, though if you wanna have a go at tuning then expect high speeds but also high volts, i reccomend active cooling aka putting a fan over the rams and max voltage of 1.7v cause b die tolerates upto 2.05v (ofc deathzone)

20 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

And then some

sry my b

19 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I would recommend either building a PC now with very fast DDR4, or if you already have a good PC, just keep that PC until a big improvement can be made. 

I didn't see a mention of the PC you currently have in your original post so I leave that judgement up to you. But for the time being I don't recommend DDR5 because of how expensive it is, even though it provides a very similar experience. 

20 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you HAVE  to have DDR5, yes. Wait. 

There's still no major performance difference between 4000 or even 3600.

Do you have an existing system with DDR4?

If no, just get the DDR5 supported motherboard.

If yes, get the DDR4 supported motherboard, though, you still need to upgrade to DDR5 down the road if you swap board.

4 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

yeah, DDR4 3600 to 4000 would provide pretty similar performance to basic DDR5 as of right now

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

ok, thx that is what i will do

Reviving this and tagging @Fasauceome because HUB just put out a video with great examples of this.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?