Speculation on Nintendo post-Switch console.

Joduko

I was kind of surprised when I looked it up and saw the Switch is nearing 5 years old now since its original release in March 2017.

If I were to look back to the gamecube released in 2001, it was replaced with the Wii only 5 years later in 2006. The Wii was replaced 6 years later with the Wii U in 2012

It's a similar timescale with Nintendo's other consoles going back. So I was curious where people think Nintendo is going to go after the Switch. Would they just make a more powerful Switch with either better hardware, ergonomic design or increased compactness? Me personally I'm the kind of person who doesn't look for portability of a home console because I have gameboys, DSs and phones which are vastly more convenient for playing a game when I get stuck out and about, especially in terms of battery life. It surprised me to look it up and see that the gamecube was one of Nintendo's poorest selling consoles considering what it offered me as a kid because if I had a choice I would literally just ask for a gamecube with modern hardware to run Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon (pretty excited for Legends Arceus).

If Nintendo were to follow their trend it means they would release a new console late this year or next year.

Haven't seen rumor of a new system, so I'd suspect next year at the /earliest/

Nintendo's done really REALLY well with the portability aspect, so I'd expect that to continue.

Keep in mind nintendos philosophy has always been along the lines of "make the most simple lowest cost product possible to achieve the task".

So whatever their next console is , it might be a different shape/design/idea but it will always be low end hardware that omits every possible technology that isn't 100% necessary.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Keep in mind nintendos philosophy has always been along the lines of "make the most simple lowest cost product possible to achieve the task".

So whatever their next console is , it might be a different shape/design/idea but it will always be low end hardware that omits every possible technology that isn't 100% necessary.

I have been unable to find any sales figures of the Switch, but it's obvious as of right now that it is a far easier console to get your hands on than the PS5/XBOX X. Nintendo must be in a very good position right now in terms of game sales they're generating compared to other platforms that have suffered many people simply not being able to obtain a console.

well it's going to be a far easier console to get a hold of currently in this market due to it's age , it's initial low cost , and it's gated community/barrier to entry. Not everyone finds as much value in a nintendo device compared to a more universal platform such as pc/xbox/playstation. Basically you have to actually WANT the software that's exclusive to the switch in order to justify it's purchase.

I actually love my n64 but I truly have zero interest in anything new from nintendo. I have no idea what a switch is priced at but if they're like 100$ i still don't really want/need one.

I can see this going either way.  Nintendo has traditionally not been afraid to color outside the lines and try something revolutionary.  Sometimes it completely changes the industry (Wii motes).  Sometimes it's just too far ahead of its time (Power Glove).  And sometimes it's just a colossal flop (Virtua Boy).  I like that about Nintendo--because they are pushing progress; and sometimes you make a lunker--that's how the process works.

At the same time, I think they've hit upon a valid formula, and they may well stick to it.  Let's be honest, it's not like Sony or MS have fundamentally changed the PS or XBOX over their respective generations.  Sure, you had Kinect and Move--but those were "me too" products.  Their current controller designs wouldn't be substantially out of place on a PS2 or an XBOX 360.  Apart from evolutionary improvements in hardware (and product testing to prevent RROD's) not much has changed.

I'd venture a guess that most are pretty happy with their Switch for what it is.  What they want is access to more Virtual Console and legacy titles.  What they want is 4k support.  Those aren't revolutionary changes--and I'm actually sad and surprised that Nintendo didn't already offer a 4k option.  But then again, perhaps that portends of their next generation--and how little there will be to differentiate (Relatively speaking) vs. the current Switch.

P.S.

The Wii-U's 2 fatal flaws were it's name (not well thought out in marketing) and the lack of any DS game player.  I have hope that Nintendo will someday bring out a universal DS player for the Switch--akin to how their GBA player was universal for all gameboy games on the GCN.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

well it's going to be a far easier console to get a hold of currently in this market due to it's age , it's initial low cost , and it's gated community/barrier to entry. Not everyone finds as much value in a nintendo device compared to a more universal platform such as pc/xbox/playstation. Basically you have to actually WANT the software that's exclusive to the switch in order to justify it's purchase.

I actually love my n64 but I truly have zero interest in anything new from nintendo. I have no idea what a switch is priced at but if they're like 100$ i still don't really want/need one.

I'm in the opposite corner.  Universal platforms like XBOX and PS are moot points; I can do all that on PC--and arguably better.  The day that those consoles started focusing on racing sims and FPS's is the day I pretty much stopped caring; that will eternally be a better experience on PC, imho.

Consoles work great for puzzle games, platformers and adventure games.  That's their strong suit.  That's what Nintendo has often offered in spades.  Nintendo also learned its lesson years ago on why being "bleeding edge tech" in a console is a bad idea.  It causes astronomical pains for the developers.  N64 suffered like that.  XBOX suffered like that.

FWIW though, 1st party software from Nintendo has always been head and shoulders superior to 1st party offerings from either Sony or MS.  Fanboys will argue that's not the case--but they're blind to the truth.  "Exclusives" and marketing tie-ins are how those 2 skate by.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

My whole purpose for this thread is gauging whether I should do one of 3 things.
1. Get a gamecube like the one I had at my childhood home, get super monkey ball 2 as well as a few other couch co-op games.
2. Get a Switch for the same purpose, but a lot of this hinges on Legends Arceus doing well, it's the first time I've been a little excited for anything Pokemon since Black/White.
3. Wait for Nintendo's next console which will probably have backwards compatibility anyway.

I guess there is a 4th option which is an emulator PC, but that would be a learning experience, especially regarding making a setup with 2 controllers for couch co-op.

You should get a GCN and a GBA player on principle--regardless.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

Fanboys will argue that's not the case--but they're blind to the truth. 

the irony is so overwhelming i cannot handle it

4 minutes ago, Joduko said:

My whole purpose for this thread is gauging whether I should do one of 3 things.
1. Get a gamecube like the one I had at my childhood home, get super monkey ball 2 as well as a few other couch co-op games.
2. Get a Switch for the same purpose, but a lot of this hinges on Legends Arceus doing well, it's the first time I've been a little excited for anything Pokemon since Black/White.
3. Wait for Nintendo's next console which will probably have backwards compatibility anyway.

I guess there is a 4th option which is an emulator PC, but that would be a learning experience, especially regarding making a setup with 2 controllers for couch co-op.

oh honestly i'd just get the gamecube. at the very least you'll know it works and will stay working and be a 100% identical experience to what it originally was. Thats why I still have my n64 , i've yet to see anything new regarding the n64 that i would consider superior over the original

8 minutes ago, IPD said:

You should get a GCN and a GBA player on principle--regardless.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

oh honestly i'd just get the gamecube. at the very least you'll know it works and will stay working and be a 100% identical experience to what it originally was. Thats why I still have my n64 , i've yet to see anything new regarding the n64 that i would consider superior over the original

I'm just not sure what the best display to use with the GC. Back then I had a tiny tube CRT, that wouldn't work these days, I need something around 35-45''

5 minutes ago, Joduko said:

I'm just not sure what the best display to use with the GC. Back then I had a tiny tube CRT, that wouldn't work these days, I need something around 35-45''

i just plug my n64 right into the composite inputs on my tv and it works fine. my tv i think is 70" and there isnt any input lag or anything and it's a lot better than my little crt was back in the day

I see either continued iterations of the Switch since it was so sucessful, or a new console released too early with a less desireable design that flops. 

I'm gonna guess that one of the latter iterations of the Switch (if Nintendo continues with it) would be a non-portable Switch that ramps up GPU power to support 4k, massively ups the storage, and comes with a Pro controller instead of joycons. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Since the OLED version is less than 6 months old, a Switch replacement I'd assume is at least 18 months away.

I'd guess they will stick with the hybrid model, rather than unmerge the home and portable consoles again. They could go unadventurous, and just release a 4K Switch. But unadventurous hasn't been Nintendo's style since the Gamecube, sooooo...another go at the VR only console?

Maybe the Switch will not be obsolete, maybe they will come out with pro or advance model which support augmented reality (something like from NDS or DSi to 3DS). I actually wish they bring AR back to switch. The AR capability in 3DS is pretty amazing back in the days, too bad not many developers interested to 'exploit' it because they favour 3D headset which is, well, dumb and dangerous in my opinion.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.