About Alder Lake CPU's

Hi there just wondering about this say for instance I have a 12600K CPU that has a total of 10 CPU cores and 16 threads .

Which consist of 6 Performance cores and 4 Efficiency cores, now they both run at different clock speeds so if I play a game like Cyberpunk 2077 will I only utilize the 6 Performance cores that will run at 4.9Ghz speed maybe and the 4 Efficiency cores either idling or running with at a lower clock speed wouldn't that cause an issue ?

Yup, that won't cause an issue. Modern processors run cores at different speeds all the time, it's no different with Alder Lake.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yup, that won't cause an issue. Modern processors run cores at different speeds all the time, it's no different with Alder Lake.

thanks but will i be using all 10 cores and threads at the same time or just the 6 Performance cores when I game.

3 minutes ago, XeliGamer said:

thanks but will i be using all 10 cores and threads at the same time or just the 6 Performance cores when I game.

All 10 cores will be active at all times.

Whether the game utilises them is another story. Most do, but some legacy games don't.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, XeliGamer said:

It depends on the situation. This is something with the actual scheduler for how this will happen. This is the cliff notes for how it works:

If the task is heavy like a game, it will prioritize it being on the performance cores unless they're running at capacity. If this task is light weight, it will run on the efficiency cores unless they're running at capacity. 

For the most part, games don't really use more than 6 cores, so they'd probably run just on the performance cores. If they do use more than 6 cores, then they will start using the efficiency cores, but they won't be the first thing used for gaming. 

58 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It depends on the situation. This is something with the actual scheduler for how this will happen. This is the cliff notes for how it works:

If the task is heavy like a game, it will prioritize it being on the performance cores unless they're running at capacity. If this task is light weight, it will run on the efficiency cores unless they're running at capacity. 

For the most part, games don't really use more than 6 cores, so they'd probably run just on the performance cores. If they do use more than 6 cores, then they will start using the efficiency cores, but they won't be the first thing used for gaming. 

To be clear, the scheduler in Windows 11 can determine which loads should be on efficiency cores and which on performance cores. If OP is using Windows 10, it can be a hit or miss, because Windows 10 doesn't understand that cores can be different.

On Linux, it sort of depends on the kernel version.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+