Half-Life completed in 21 minutes?

neision

What in the living hell, 

Blinded_by_the_bright_light_II_by_KeepOn

Lord Gaben, is that you?

Come towards the light, for the glory of the Lord and Savior GabeN is upon you. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

20:41 for cheating the game I find that stupid... there is no sense of achievment in that... I mean if you alter the characteristics of your character and the conditions of each map so much then were is the boarderline to consider it "legit" ?? why not just type in a code transfering you to the final cutscene and finish it within 1 second.. i mean lol 

Modded and hacks so who cares about this speed run. Let us see the record for someone playing the game the right way.

Read what I said here:

To clear up some misconceptions about speed running.

There are different categories, depends on the game
Glitchless
Glitched
Scriptless
Scripted
Segmented
Single segment
There are more categories than this, those are just some examples

A speed run can be more than one category, e.g. this run is a segmented scripted glitched run. The most common half life run is a single segment glitched no script run, the record for which is roughly 36 minutes.
Similarly, portal speed runs have in-bounds and out-of-bounds categories.
Pretty much every speed run you see will use glitches.

The "health hack" they used was a door that instead of taking 1 health per frame, instead takes -1 health per frame, so they bump the frame rate up to the maximum (1000) and sit in it for roughly 4 seconds to give them the health they need to get to the end of the game. The only mod used was to undo a patch Valve made that removed bunny hopping from the game and all the mod does is allow them to bunnyhop again. The no fall damage is a mixture of surfing, edgebugging and landing on ladders. If you grab a ladder when falling you don't take any fall damage, if you land on a slope at the right angle you don't take any fall damage and if you hit the edge of a surface (literally like 3 pixels of the edge) then you don't take fall damage. There were no cheats used, there were no hacks used.
None of what they did makes it an illegitimate speedrun. All it does it change the category, and in the category of half life 1 segmented runs using scripts, this beat the previous record of 29:41 by exactly 9 minutes.

again who cares? if you are not doing it legit there is no sense in that as I described above...

20:41 for cheating the game I find that stupid... there is no sense of achievment in that... I mean if you alter the characteristics of your character and the conditions of each map so much then were is the boarderline to consider it "legit" ?? why not just type in a code transfering you to the final cutscene and finish it within 1 second.. i mean lol 

How can you say there is no achievement in any of this? Things like this take lots of time to route and execute perfectly, what achievements have you done better to try and put down the runner? Also there is nothing fun about watching some guy type in a couple words as soon as possible.

I guess even this should not be considered an achievement right? Is using a different language of a game cheating too? Because English language isn't used?

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

Holy shit that pro bunny hopping

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

"cheating the game"

The game wasn't cheated by the accepted definition of cheating.

"I mean if you alter the characteristics of your character and the conditions of each map so much"

No alterations were made to the character or the maps at all

What makes you say that?

It looks like it was sped up in places, and like they used some mods or hacks to make the game go quicker.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

there is no sense of achievment in that...

Did you see how insanely well he bhopped those maps? The amount of precision and timing was amazing. That takes a lot practice. I don't care what he used, that bhopping alone is one hell of an achievement.

It looks like it was sped up in places, and they used some mods or hacks to make the game go quicker.

At one point he increased the fps to 1000 to make the health the bug, besides that no. You have no idea what you're talking about.

At one point he increased the fps to 1000 to make the health the bug, besides that no. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I was giving my opinion... I never fucking said I knew exactly what they were doing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

again who cares? if you are not doing it legit there is no sense in that as I described above...

theres no map or character alteration of any kind silly

It really makes me sad that people are so daft that they dont understand speed running.

theres no map or character alteration of any kind silly

It really makes me sad that people are so daft that they dont understand speed running.

The dude flies all the time he  trigers things without the proper actions (like the rocket gets launched without him pushing the button or bots go automatically and triger something without following him) he has 1HP receives a hit from the boss doesnt die.. he kills the boss with like 14 bullets and just destroying 1 crystal....

if thats not cheating then what is cheating? its stupid.... and I dont care if technically its not considered as a cheat because such and such... practically IT IS... and there is no reason to consider this an achievment anyone could do this even a mild retard (provided he knew how to enable those cheats/ scripts/ glitches - call them how ever you want- )

The only credit I could give to those guys is to find that some of those glitches exist.. otherwise its stupid ....

and again I dont care if technically its not cheating in essence it is... and if you dont agree with that its like saying a 16 year old girl that is a virgin and just had oral and anal sex  with multiple people that she is still a virgin... well ok technically she might be but that girl aint a virgin in essence and these dudes are cheating end of the story.

Speedrun has sense only when a player plays the game without any shenanigans as fast as possible. 

The whole glitching aspect of speed runs makes them more interesting to me really.

Watching a Ocarina Of Time speed run and seeing all these crazy precise glitches, and hearing how they came about is the most interesting part to me.

Its the history of how they where found, and them becoming good enough to hit them off consistently, or in some of the cases being lucky enough for them to work, that makes them really interesting,

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I dont know what glitches are in Ocaraina of time and what the guys did in the speedrun you are refering to but me having played all the HL games watching this was boring and stupid  they are overabusing stuff and I still think that there are some actuall cheats going on.. because  between bunny hoping and harnesting some game physics to gain thrust there is a difference when just basically flying nonstop.... being immortal, trigering stuff and beat the boss in 3 seconds without doing anything that needs to be done (or doing it in a superhuman speed that even the video framerate couldnt capture = cheat scripting) 

And I insist again even if you use glitches for a speedrun do the ones that can be done only by your fingers clicking buttons on the right time (like jumping the right time shooting the right point in the right time ) etc.... if you add code or dissasamble the game to load instances of it under specific conditions run scripts etc... its umberetarded... that stuff only is worth as a proof of concept.. = prooving that it could be done .. using all that stuff to see how fast you can go is so stupid i think

The dude flies all the time he  trigers things without the proper actions (like the rocket gets launched without him pushing the button or bots go automatically and triger something without following him) he has 1HP receives a hit from the boss doesnt die.. he kills the boss with like 14 bullets and just destroying 1 crystal....

if thats not cheating then what is cheating? its stupid.... and I dont care if technically its not considered as a cheat because such and such... practically IT IS... and there is no reason to consider this an achievment anyone could do this even a mild retard (provided he knew how to enable those cheats/ scripts/ glitches - call them how ever you want- )

"flying" is bunnyhopping

"trigers things without the proper actions" is the game letting you press buttons through a wall

"bots go automatically and triger something without following him" is just manipulating the character AI

"he kills the boss with like 14 bullets and just destroying 1 crystal" is using a fast fire glitch

Speedrun has sense only when a player plays the game without any shenanigans as fast as possible. 

Everyone else in the speed running community would disagree with you, with very good reasons.

If you genuinely do want to see why you're so wrong, watch this http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi/c/4067025

pro tip, take the s out of https in the youtube url and it will auto embed the video ;) @neision

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"flying" is bunnyhopping -nop

"trigers things without the proper actions" is the game letting you press buttons through a wall- and thats not possible without changing the properties of the map  maybe behind the same wall the button is located

"bots go automatically and triger something without following him" is just manipulating the character AI -which is ok for what reason? 

"he kills the boss with like 14 bullets and just destroying 1 crystal" is using a fast fire glitch -you have to destroy 3 crystals otherwise the boss doesnt die which didnt happen or happened so fast that even the capturing device couldnt get it and fast fire glitch is fast fire it uses ammo.... not 14 bullets. 

Everyone else in the speed running community would disagree with you, with very good reasons.

If you genuinely do want to see why you're so wrong, watch this http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi/c/4067025

And most importand of all so what??? doing all that stuff is cheating or like cheating... otherwise you agree that a girl having anal sex and oral sex multiple times but not vaginal sex is still a virgin :P

if you cant do it with your fingers pressing awsd and the rest of the normal binded keys for a game (like fire,zoom,duck etc) its cheating

And most importand of all so what??? doing all that stuff is cheating or like cheating... otherwise you agree that a girl having anal sex and oral sex multiple times but not vaginal sex is still a virgin :P

if you cant do it with your fingers pressing awsd and the rest of the normal binded keys for a game (like fire,zoom,duck etc) its cheating

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

"nop"

Not even going to offer a counter argument, you're just going to deny the valid information I offered you.

"and thats not possible without changing the properties of the map"

Yes it is, it was some bad game design on Valve's end.

"which is ok for what reason?"

Of all the things I thought you'd have a problem with, I didn't suspect it would be this one, this isn't even technically a glitch it's just using the AI of the NPCs.

"you have to destroy 3 crystals otherwise the boss doesnt die which didnt happen or happened so fast that even the capturing device couldnt get it and fast fire glitch is fast fire it uses ammo.... not 14 bullets. "

You can see it on the video if you look at the 120fps version and go through frame by frame. You can quite clearly see everything working there.

If you care this much why don't you actually watch the twitch VOD I linked which will tell you in great detail in exactly every way you're wrong about these glitches.

http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi/c/4067025

As for your last two sentences, that's why there are different categories like I explained in my first post. This is a category that allows using scripts. There is another category called scriptless which uses no scripts, just the guy's fingers, which has a record of about 35 minutes and still uses bunnyhopping and pressing buttons through the walls and manipulating character AI. If you have a problem with this then I'm going to question your reading comprehension because I've quite clearly laid it out multiple times now. The entire speedrunning community decided and agreed upon these rules using logic and reasoning and the only people who ever have a problem with it are people who do not understand them. Go look up the rules and find out the reasoning behind them before debating an ignorant opinion and insulting 4 years worth of work that these people put into making this video.

I've never played Half-Life at all. 

fuck me gaben

in the

a..

s..

s..

hard

4 year's to beat a game in 20 mins taking advantage of unintended bugs etc etc blah blah.

Wow lol.

And i guess he'd do alright on a CS:S surf server.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

It's painful to see how many people don't know what they are talking about, and are as a result hating on a fantastic accomplishment.

If you don't like speedrunning, I TOTALLY understand, even when I look back at an hour of practising that one segment, I question why I'm doing it. It seems quite pointless.

Not liking using scripts I can understand, that's the reason many runners are running the category "beat the game, hard, no scripts". But it is allowed and if you want to go fast, you'll do anything to go fast.

But this is TOTALLY LEGIT, organisations like SpeedDemosArchive validate every WR, to obviously kill cheating. There are certain rules for speedrunning this game and they haven't broken any.

And people who say they "simply glitch through the whole game" probably don't know how much precision and skill performing certain glitches takes.

Rant over, I usually don't post like this, but like I said it's painful to see this ignorance.

As for my opinion, it's not my thing, segmented runs and using scripts, but an amazing accomplishment nontherless.

THE signature

So its ok to glitch/cheat in a speed run, great I can tell everybody I finished Sonic in under 5 minutes.

Or I could do it in 44 minutes and be proud I done it properly.

A speed run is done at full speed including deaths and reload times by playing the game as it was intend.

Twas how it was in the days before the internet and the days of Games Master no matter how you categorise it.

It's painful to see how many people don't know what they are talking about, and are as a result hating on a fantastic accomplishment.

If you don't like speedrunning, I TOTALLY understand, even when I look back at an hour of practising that one segment, I question why I'm doing it. It seems quite pointless.

Not liking using scripts I can understand, that's the reason many runners are running the category "beat the game, hard, no scripts". But it is allowed and if you want to go fast, you'll do anything to go fast.

But this is TOTALLY LEGIT, organisations like SpeedDemosArchive validate every WR, to obviously kill cheating. There are certain rules for speedrunning this game and they haven't broken any.

And people who say they "simply glitch through the whole game" probably don't know how much precision and skill performing certain glitches takes.

Rant over, I usually don't post like this, but like I said it's painful to see this ignorance.

As for my opinion, it's not my thing, segmented runs and using scripts, but an amazing accomplishment nontherless.

Imo it's like having the Start/finish line on the same spot. Starting the race then taking one step forward, then backward's then forwards again and say "finished race in 2 secs /soproami"

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

So its ok to glitch/cheat in a speed run, great I can tell everybody I finished Sonic in under 5 minutes.

Or I could do it in 44 minutes and be proud I done it properly.

A speed run is done at full speed including deaths and reload times by playing the game as it was intend.

Twas how it was in the days before the internet and the days of Games Master no matter how you categorise it.

You know, cheating is not allowed, like I said. The game is not altered in any way at all (apart from downgrading to earlier patches, because routes were already created).

Reload times won't be counted, simply because they can differ from PC to PC. And in Single Segment (complete game in one go) deaths do count, this is simply a segmented run. Like I said in a earlier post, it's not really my thing either, but it forces you to go even faster.

Imo it's like having the Start/finish line on the same spot. Starting the race then taking one step forward, then backward's then forwards again and say "finished race in 2 secs /soproami"

Honestly I don't understand what you're trying to say.

If it would be the case (which it never will, if it would people would abandon the game), it would go like "finished race in 2.0345345533" and they would try multiple times to get the perfect timing.

THE signature

That example is a little off. 

Taking a step forward then back is easy.

Practising for days and days to get the glitches down is crazy hard, they all have tiny tolerances of angles, timings and probably more.

It arguably would take more skill to get the harder glitches off in a game to skip ahead than doing the section you are skipping.

Its faster to glitch through, but only when you get the glitch perfect and working, and doing so repeatedly as you will be doing tonnes of runs to get the best possible time.

I can see why glitching through seems cheating, but far more effort goes into finding these glitches, making them reproducible, and hitting them consistently, than it seems.

I see no problem, as long as the glitches keep in there own section and labelled appropriately. There are different brackets of speed runs for a reason.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4