5900x undervolting overclocking

DG House

hey lads

has someone a 5900x undervolted overclocked

i like to have a good starting point to find the most efficient Watt/MHz for my silicon

7 minutes ago, DG House said:

hey lads

i like to have a good starting point to find the most efficient Watt/MHz for my silicon

You should actually just enable PBO2 and undervolt that. With my 5900x I get an all core of about 4.625 and single or 2 cores over 5ghz as needed with this method. 

Follow this guide/tutorial.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The main question is what exactly are you trying to achieve by doing this?

to get the most perfomance for the Watts it draws

for example, my old 3600 did 4GHz all Core for 1,069 V (nice) without being unstable at all

its the most power efficient by performance on my silicon though out my testing

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You should actually just enable PBO2 and undervolt that. With my 5900x I get an all core of about 4.625 and single or 2 cores over 5ghz as needed with this method. 

Follow this guide/tutorial.

thanks for that but i already saw it, and it kinda misses my intentions

im gonna test it with PBO2 and AMD RM to see what more fitting

17 minutes ago, DG House said:

thanks for that but i already saw it, and it kinda misses my intentions

im gonna test it with PBO2 and AMD RM to see what more fitting

Then what is it you're trying to accomplish? Anything else and you're limiting the potential of your CPU and what it can do. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, DG House said:

hey lads

I mean.... thats sort of how overclocking works. You have to figure out where your specific chip lands on the scale of total turd to golden sample.... no one else can do that for you.

Overclocking takes time to get it dialed in just right; the 10700k in my sig took a solid 1.5 weeks to get dialed in perfectly, and the 9900k before it took about as long, 8700k before that, 6700k, 4700, 3770k, 2700k, i7 920, e6750, and Pentium D I forget the model number before that.

It takes time to dial it in. I don't know as much about AMD and how they respond to voltage and frequency, but if they typically are able to run faster with an undervolt, start with stock volts and see how far you can push it, then start dialing the voltage down. If things get unstable, either up the voltage or drop the clocks. You will pretty quickly get a sense of where the chip falls and will be able to adjust your target accordingly.

I understand what you're after, a good starting point. Totally get it, and that is where I start as well when I start learning a new platform. But I pretty much guarantee a few quick googles will provide plenty of guides for what others were able to get on their chips. You just have to try and figure out from all of the different sources of data what seems to be the middle ground and start there, and hope your chip is better than average. That is why it takes a few weeks to get a OC dialed, there is usually 4-5 days and many hours of reaching and watching videos, followed by 4-5 days of trial and error quickly learning the chips capabilities, testing for stability, dialing it in better, etc. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

I mean.... thats sort of how overclocking works. You have to figure out where your specific chip lands on the scale of total turd to golden sample.... no one else can do that for you.

exacly, thats why im asking for a educated starting point

Overclocking takes time to get it dialed in just right; the 10700k in my sig took a solid 1.5 weeks to get dialed in perfectly, and the 9900k before it took about as long, 8700k before that, 6700k, 4700, 3770k, 2700k, i7 920, e6750, and Pentium D I forget the model number before that.

It takes time to dial it in. I don't know as much about AMD and how they respond to voltage and frequency, but if they typically are able to run faster with an undervolt, start with stock volts and see how far you can push it, then start dialing the voltage down. If things get unstable, either up the voltage or drop the clocks. You will pretty quickly get a sense of where the chip falls and will be able to adjust your target accordingly.

im gonna use multiple tools to find the sweet spot

I understand what you're after, a good starting point. Totally get it, and that is where I start as well when I start learning a new platform. But I pretty much guarantee a few quick googles will provide plenty of guides for what others were able to get on their chips. You just have to try and figure out from all of the different sources of data what seems to be the middle ground and start there, and hope your chip is better than average. That is why it takes a few weeks to get a OC dialed, there is usually 4-5 days and many hours of reaching and watching videos, followed by 4-5 days of trial and error quickly learning the chips capabilities, testing for stability, dialing it in better, etc. 

as i got my old 3600 i found plenty of charts and diagramms of OC guides, but not with my new 5900

i also have to integrate my Moba, CPU, Cooler and my Latency tighted RAM into the settings

that gonna be a lot of work, but it will be worth for gaming and specaily productive workloads over the years of use

as others have said. You already have your starting point. it's turning on pbo2 and undervolting. that will get best overall result. unless you want to sacrifice single thread perf and do a simple all core OC locking the frequency at say, 4.7 or 8. Which again would be pretty dumb unless you happen to be constantly using CPU for heavy 24/7 task. And hope you have great cooling. It's not more complicated than that. 

ok, im just gonna try it next year and see what i can do

thanks to all contributers

btw. it will bee cooled by a Noctura U12A chromax.black

If you're going for the highest watt/flop efficiency it will not be found at the highest clock speed attainable as there's a big drop off as clocks increase and power use increases. Getting peak performance basically also ensures peak power draw. Peak efficiency will probably be with boost turned off and a heavy undervolt.

I know my Zen+ experience isn't directly translatable to Zen3 but with PBO tuning and undervolting I was able to get my 2700X to run 4.0-4.1 all core and run 4.3-4.4 single core but the all core power consumption was 180W with an average idle power draw of 45W. I turned boost off and actually reduced my undervolt somewhat and it runs at 90W all core 3.7Ghz for about a 20% drop in Cinebench score. 20% less peak performance for 50% less peak power use, idle is now around 18-20W as well which is also a 50% reduction. Nothing I do actually needs that peak performance and it's simple enough to turn it all back on again.  If you want max efficiency you're not going to get peak performance.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

If you're going for the highest watt/flop efficiency it will not be found at the highest clock speed attainable as there's a big drop off as clocks increase and power use increases. Getting peak performance basically also ensures peak power draw. Peak efficiency will probably be with boost turned off and a heavy undervolt.

I know my Zen+ experience isn't directly translatable to Zen3 but with PBO tuning and undervolting I was able to get my 2700X to run 4.0-4.1 all core and run 4.3-4.4 single core but the all core power consumption was 180W with an average idle power draw of 45W. I turned boost off and actually reduced my undervolt somewhat and it runs at 90W all core 3.7Ghz for about a 20% drop in Cinebench score. 20% less peak performance for 50% less peak power use, idle is now around 18-20W as well which is also a 50% reduction. Nothing I do actually needs that peak performance and it's simple enough to turn it all back on again.  If you want max efficiency you're not going to get peak performance.

Yep, I've found for my 5900X that the max efficiency window is around the level of the OEM-only 5900. Setting power limits to PPT 88W, TDC 60A, and EDC 90A (the defaults for the non-X part) gives about 85% of the all-core performance at just 61% of the power draw when combined with a Curve Optimizer per-core undervolt.

9 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Yep, I've found for my 5900X that the max efficiency window is around the level of the OEM-only 5900. Setting power limits to PPT 88W, TDC 60A, and EDC 90A (the defaults for the non-X part) gives about 85% of the all-core performance at just 61% of the power draw when combined with a Curve Optimizer per-core undervolt.

Zen CAN be very watt efficient.