Suggestions for ~$1000 ultrabook??

Oradian

Sorry no surface pro 2, too many problems and bugs.

I have never had a problem with my Surface Pro 2 :/

Sorry no surface pro 2, too many problems and bugs.

But the lenovo thinkpad is a great choice or so I have heard.

I love the acer s7 but didn't they address the battery problem in the new revision?

And is it me or can I not find an asus zenbook anymore. NCIX doesn't sell them online, although I did see one in store, Futureshop nor Bestbuy sells them, And I don't want to order from newegg cause I hate RMAs that take more than a week.

-There aren't anymore issues with the Surface Pro 2 compared to other high quality devices.

-Lenovo used to be a great, reliable brand but their quality has gone down a lot in the past few years, especially with the Thinkpad line, still a good choice though.

-The S7 and Zenbook are great laptops, but over the $1000 budget.

-Stay away from the VAIO line, they have a ton of known issues and are being sold off to a private investment firm

-Why not look at the Dell XPS line?  I have heard great thing about it

Take a look here for some reviews of ultrabooks: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Ultrabook-Reviews.htm

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I should probably should change the title to ~1200.00. 

And man holy crap I forgot about Dell. I will look into it.

Ya Sony laptops are just not that good, I find they break easily, well I have heard.

Yeah, the display on the Air looks good. Retina Pro is also an option but not quite so ultra book and also more expensive.

I'd say 13" MacBook Air. Not white, but really it looks so much better...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Yeah, the display on the Air looks good. Retina Pro is also an option but not quite so ultra book and also more expensive.

I'd say 13" MacBook Air. Not white, but really it looks so much better...

MacBook Air 11inch is: 1366x768, and the 13inch: 1440x900, and both TN panels.

hardly any good, I am afraid.

MacBook Air 11inch is: 1366x768, and the 13inch: 1440x900, and both TN panels.

hardly any good, I am afraid.

Imo it looks ok, but yes you could always get the retina MacBook Pro.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

No Macbook Air, way too many problems I have heard from many of my friends, all of which love macbook pros.

And please retina, if I am paying over 1000, you better come with retina, which not all macbooks does.

I know the UX301LA is usually around 1500+, but might be able to find a deal. I have never had it, but might get one. (between that, the surface pro 2 or 3).

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I agree. Considering that you get much more things with the Surface Pro, the MacBook Air has no excuse to use a low resolution TN panel. For the price, it should be IPS panel Retina, or AT LEAST 1080p IPS. And that was my point.

6 years ago, my laptop was 1440x900, and I can tell you, it feels cramp. Before I got the Surface Pro 2, I was genuinely considering the MacBook Air (and put Windows on it), but the display was one of the killer points for me (the Surface Pro 2 came out, and changed my mind.)

Well I am searching for an Ultrabook and happend to come across this thread so here is what i think.

All listed Ultrabooks and Convertibles have an i5 processor and a cost about 1300€ (1700USD)

The Asus Zenbook 301LA is on paar with the Acer Aspire S7 - same resolution (1440p in Europe), both with gorilla glas top and touch

The Lenovo x1 carbon is probably one of the best Ultrabooks right now but it is just available in 14" and some people complained about the keyboard. Also 1440p res.

The lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is quite interesting but the resolution is really high with 3200x1800 and because of the scaling problems in windows I am a bit scared really everything is too small. I like that it is a convertible. But it is all plastic.

The Dell XPS 13 could be something awesome. It has a Full HD resolution (i would liked 1440p) and dell is a trusted brand. The only thing that scares me here is the fact that Linus hated his XPS 12 because of the keyboard and trackpad.

I dont really know how much these cost in the US or Canada but all seem pretty expensive for your interest. 

Also i don't know anything about the Macbook, but you said that you don't care about Apple.

Dell keyboard and trackpad opinion really differ from people to people. To me I don't like island keys. Others loves it, and swear by it. Some people love Dell XPS series keyboard, others hate them.

You just have to see at the store and compare.

Some other manufactures (Acer, for example) loves to re-invent the keyboard when it is not needed (has the space for a normal keyboard), making me having a hard time with productivity work, where I use software where I need to access Function keys high amount of time, so to me that is important consideration, which might make you want to consider that as well, based on the model of the system you are looking at.

Lenovo is not what it used to be. It drop in quality significantly, especially the Ideapad series, which is the Yoga 2 Pro you are looking at. For a more robust model, check out the ThinkPad Yoga which also includes a digitize pen (which I think it is a must in both navigating high resolution display in tablet mode if you have a hard time with programs, and also writing and note taking).

Have a look at thew newly announced (just earlier today) Surface Pro 3. It might interest you.

Get the MacBook Air, its hard to find similar spec'd ultrabooks for that price. If you want more resolution, get the MacBook Pro Retina. And if you want it cheaper, get the refurbished ones. They have 1year apple warranty and are 200$ cheaper than in the apple store.

The UI scaling on Win8 is terrible. Things look way smaller and imo its better to have bigger icons and text on an lower res display than smaller text on high res screen.

But then again:

Resolution is just a number. - Linus Sebastian

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

@ GoodBytes.

Thank you. Just had a look at the Surface Pro 3. Specs looking pretty astonishing. Do you like the TypeCover of your Surface Pro 2? I was no big fan of the first gen type cover.

@ davidvu396

A refurbished macbook Pro Retina could be a good option,but it hasn't a touch display, also how should i explain my uncle that i had bought a Macbook :D (Mer losse d'r Dom en Kölle *sing*) 

Get the MacBook Air, its hard to find similar spec'd ultrabooks for that price. If you want more resolution, get the MacBook Pro Retina. And if you want it cheaper, get the refurbished ones. They have 1year apple warranty and are 200$ cheaper than in the apple store.

The UI scaling on Win8 is terrible. Things look way smaller and imo its better to have bigger icons and text on an lower res display than smaller text on high res screen.

But then again:

Resolution is just a number. - Linus Sebastian

Sorry NO Apple at all. Don't you see, I hate Apple with a passion. You can bash on me all you want but sorry. They are just overpriced. Sure their build quality is amazing but the performance is extremely lacking. Along with their shitty os compared to windows. And if I am paying well over 1000, I should be getting retina, which sadly not all macbooks does. Yes resolution is just a number in certain cases, however in this case, its an important number when I am comparing prices and laptops from different companies. And why should i get a refurbished one if I can get a brand new one for the same price from a different vendor.

OH YA, And no macbooks have touchscreen displays.

Yes I may be harsh on apple, Yes I know they lead everyone, but in the end, the followers always do the work (which in this case is better)

THIS IS MY OPINION

@ GoodBytes.

Thank you. Just had a look at the Surface Pro 3. Specs looking pretty astonishing. Do you like the TypeCover of your Surface Pro 2? I was no big fan of the first gen type cover.

I have the TypeCover 2, and I like it a lot. The keys are near full size keys, so it was really easy to get used to.

The track pad needs some work, but I won't say it is the worst one, or part of the bad touchpad, after speed is adjusted and "enhance pointer precision" is turned on.

Basically, the issue is the texture of the touchpad, where now it doesn't collect finger grease and dirt easily as it used to (and common issue for all other touchpads and the previous one), and doesn't wear out easily, but has high friction.

It great to see Microsoft continuing to try and provide the best touchpad experience, with the TypeCover 3. It is a shame the device changes size, as now I can't use it.

The back light feature is really good. One of the best I have seen where the light is evenly lit, the keys letter is easy to read when turned off, or during the day as they don't appear dark, and they are evenly lit.

I really like the look of this one:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-7437/pd?~ck=mn

Or this but it is more expensive:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9333/pd?~ck=mn

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I have the TypeCover 2, and I like it a lot. The keys are near full size keys, so it was really easy to get used to.

The track pad needs some work, but I won't say it is the worst one, or part of the bad touchpad, after speed is adjusted and "enhance pointer precision" is turned on.

Basically, the issue is the texture of the touchpad, where now it doesn't collect finger grease and dirt easily as it used to (and common issue for all other touchpads and the previous one), and doesn't wear out easily, but has high friction.

It great to see Microsoft continuing to try and provide the best touchpad experience, with the TypeCover 3. It is a shame the device changes size, as now I can't use it.

The back light feature is really good. One of the best I have seen where the light is evenly lit, the keys letter is easy to read when turned off, or during the day as they don't appear dark, and they are evenly lit.

Oh i like the fact that the new one will be a 12". I found 10" a bit too small. I am reading about it the last couple of houres and i think the 128ssd/i5 version is going to be my new companion. Normally i would go with the 256ssd but i have to buy the backlit mechanical TypeCover which is expensive. Maybe Microsoft is going to have a studentversion which would be awesome.

Oh i like the fact that the new one will be a 12". I found 10" a bit too small. I am reading about it the last couple of houres and i think the 128ssd/i5 version is going to be my new companion. Normally i would go with the 256ssd but i have to buy the backlit mechanical TypeCover which is expensive. Maybe Microsoft is going to have a studentversion which would be awesome.

Student gets 10% off, so depends on the model you pick, you can have about the price of the keyboard, like if it was free. That is what I did.

Call to get the information to register as a student if you are not already, and see if you can pre-order, if not, you have to wait for the official release before you can.

If you are outside of the U.S (unless they change this time around) don't wait for the web site to support student purchase, because by the time it appears, it will the Pro 4 will be out. So just call, and they'll set you up just fine. :)

Student gets 10% off, so depends on the model you pick, you can have about the price of the keyboard for free. That is what I did.

Call to get the information to register as a student if you are not already, and see if you can pre-order, if not, you have to wait for the official release before you can.

If you are outside of the U.S (unless they change this time around) don't wait for the web site to support student purchase, because by the time it appears, it will the Pro 4 will be out. So just call, and they'll set you up just fine. :)

Uhh that's cool, than i take the 256gb version. But i have to wait till summer because I have to work first :D and what really pisses me of is the fact that as a german i have to pay 1300€ which is about 1800$. That is a huge difference.

Uhh that's cool, than i take the 256gb version. But i have to wait till summer because I have to work first :D and what really pisses me of is the fact that as a german i have to pay 1300€ which is about 1800$. That is a huge difference.

Ouch :/

But if I am not mistaken, your prices include the taxes (VAT).

In the U.S and Canada, for example, you need to add the taxes, which differs between state/province and country, and sometimes depending on where you are, you have an additional "eco-tax" added to the price to pay before the other taxes that are added afterwards.

Ouch :/

But if I am not mistaken, your prices include the taxes (VAT).

In the U.S and Canada, for example, you need to add the taxes, which differs between state/province and country, and sometimes depending on where you are, you have an additional "eco-tax" added to the price to pay before the other taxes that are added afterwards.

Yeah I know but when I went on vacation in Los Angeles and San Francisco earlier this year taxes where about 9% and not 38% haha.

So in the Us you have to pay about 1420$ and we have to pay 1800$. Man, i loved the US prices for tech stuff. At least I am not in the UK/Australia where most of the time it is even more expensive.

i'll suggest a samsung ativ book 9. I don't think ur sister would need heavy video editing or gaming. Its design is nice too

Sorry NO Apple at all. Don't you see, I hate Apple with a passion. You can bash on me all you want but sorry. They are just overpriced. Sure their build quality is amazing but the performance is extremely lacking. Along with their shitty os compared to windows. And if I am paying well over 1000, I should be getting retina, which sadly not all macbooks does. Yes resolution is just a number in certain cases, however in this case, its an important number when I am comparing prices and laptops from different companies. And why should i get a refurbished one if I can get a brand new one for the same price from a different vendor.

OH YA, And no macbooks have touchscreen displays.

Yes I may be harsh on apple, Yes I know they lead everyone, but in the end, the followers always do the work (which in this case is better)

THIS IS MY OPINION

rMBP is 1099$ btw and isnt slow AT ALL!

Totally kicks every Ultrabook's ass in terms of specs. Asthetics and build quality aside. Plus 9h not only advertised but REAL BATTERY LIFE.

Any Ultrabook under 1k hardly gets 6-7h. PCIe SSDs are very rare and the stock i5 is 2.4-2.9 Ghz instead of 1.9-2.9 Ghz in the i5-4300U which you will find in most Ultrabooks. 

Iris Graphics is still miles better than the crappy HD 4400. 

Look at these products in a factual and neutral way. Get your own experience, not experience by others.

And if you dont like it, you can still sell it for 80-90% of the price the year after.

BTW i am not an Apple fanboy, i still think iOS is stupid and whoever is ready to pay 899$ for an iPhone should shoot themselves.

I currently dont own Apple Products but i had an iPod touch 4G and i didnt like it. 

I own a self-built budget Gaming PC and still think the tower as a desktop solution is the best.

But seeing "good" Ultrabooks at prices as high as 1.5k for an S7 or X1 Carbon is just stupid. 

MacBooks are not overpriced anymore. Whoever says otherwise has no idea about the competition.

The Overall experience with trackpad and the keyboard on the MacBook is just perfect. No solution on a notebook has been better (apart from keyboards from old IBM Thinkpads).

Touchscreens are a matter of taste. i personally dont like fingerprints all over the screen :S. Never mind wiping these off with your shirt or so... And the resolution is also perfect but 1080p on 13" should've been enough imo.

You also can install Windows 7/8 on the MacBook which works flawless. But the Energy Management on Windows is bad. 

As long as you dont play games on the Mac, I think you would be better off with OS X. Now there are enough programs for working and content-creating.

Still, Apple Support is the best around.

Tl;dr: I might be wrong about those given facts above and may regret these, but take a second look on MacBooks and develop your own experience and opinion.

If graphics horsepower isnt enough, you can spend about 250$ on some equipment and expand your MacBook with a GPU, lets say a Titan Black with Thunderbolt. Still you would be off with a desktop. But this solution is possible.

OTHERWISE, get an XPS 13 of if tablet, then Surface 3.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

I have tried the osx or the apple os for macbooks for about a month. I did not like it at all. I got use to all the hotkeys and the layout but I still can't custumize anything at all. It wasn't custumizable enough for me and worst thing of all. No antivirus is available for apple products which is fucking stupid. Because apple refuses to let companies develop an antivirus program for them because they want to keep their "VIRUS FREE OS" which btw, its not virus free. Just a false shitty advertisement which got many people to believe its true.

And yes they are not over priced. They just don't have many of the features other products offer.

And no thank you, at this time and age, lets say give 5 years before i EVER even consider macbook for gaming. NO GAMES support them and neither do programs.

I would reinstall windows 7/8 but I could just buy another laptop that has 7 or 8.

As for suggestions, I do love the lenovo carbon series. My friend is getting one in the summer for university and my sister has time to wait so I might just wait and see.

-There aren't anymore issues with the Surface Pro 2 compared to other high quality devices.

-Lenovo used to be a great, reliable brand but their quality has gone down a lot in the past few years, especially with the Thinkpad line, still a good choice though.

-The S7 and Zenbook are great laptops, but over the $1000 budget.

-Stay away from the VAIO line, they have a ton of known issues and are being sold off to a private investment firm

-Why not look at the Dell XPS line?  I have heard great thing about it

Take a look here for some reviews of ultrabooks: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Ultrabook-Reviews.htm

After Sony announced that it will sell the Vaio brand, remaining ultrabooks, tablets and hybrids are sold at a discount. You can find really good deals.

I've read about the Vaio Pro issues and still actually bought the laptop. I got it really cheap and it has very good specs. I was able to return it if I was unhappy with the device. But it isn't nearly as bad as some people say. There are some problems but most of them aren't that big and can be easily fixed. Mine was i7 / 8GB / 256GB / touch / Win 8 Pro version and I got it for 900€. You can't really find anything similar for the same price which has good battery life and high quality FHD IPS screen.

Before I bought the Vaio, I thoroughly looked for other ultrabooks and made some notes about different models. Acer S7 has great build quality but has rather poor battery life. Asus UX301LA has really good screen and is thin and light but actually looses to UX302LG which has dedicated graphips and has less batterly life than the UX302LG. For some reason Dell XPS 13 is not widely available in Europe. I couldn't find it from finnish or german stores. Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 is good in every way but the screen resolution is so high that you have to scale the Windows and that makes some applications look blurry which is not a good thing. Lenovo X1 Carbon is good but expensive (about 2000€ here in Europe). Maybe the best alternative is the Asus UX32LN which is not widely available but has i7 / 8GB RAM / GT 840 2GB / 256GB SSD and it costs around 1000€.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602