Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

That's a horrible beginner's anime, especially for people with pre-conceived notions about anime. First off, it's full of Japanese historical and mythical references, and second (also most importantly) the first episode has a 14 year old boy cross dressing for the entirety of it. The fact that he's a transforming Tanuki will not be an excuse for someone who'a an anime skeptic.

It's probably easier starting with a movie. The one I've been using has been Sakasama no Patema. Mostly because it's very similar to the familiar Pixar adventure storytelling layout.

To recommend a series, you always have to keep in mind the person's genre taste. You can never just recommend the most fanwanked anime such as Death Note, One Piece etc. and expect it to stick, if you're not thinking about what they like among western media. Start with what's familiar to them. For example, if someone's favourite thing ever was Monty Python, I'd recommend Nichijou. If it's Gilmore Girls, Hanasaku Iroha. If it's Blade Runner, Ergo Proxy. If it's The Breakfast Club, Kokoro Connect.

So on and so forth.

I think one of the main things causing damage to anime reputation, is people thoughtlessly making bad recommendations.

I myself was almost a victim of it - I hated the first 3-4 anime recommended to me when I tried getting into the medium and almost gave up. The first anime I loved was the first one I did my own research on and found all by myself; The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Not going to suggest Trigun?  it got comedy :P

Trigun's one of my pet series, but it might not be for people who are in the mood to criticize anime for being "childish"... it's a tongue-in-cheek series for the first half, then gets superficially "angsty teen"-like for a while. I'd probably recommend Gankutsuou/Monte Cristo first to non-anime fans.

Comedy-wise I'd probably recommend Detroit Metal City, FLCL, or The Devil is a Part-Timer to people who aren't into anime, as they have a low bar of entry and the latter two have good dubs (IIRC).

there is quite a lull in between the first episode and the later quarter of it. There were one or two episodes of zero progression, mostly moe and SoL.

it's so short that I would probably stick with it for the ep 8~10 block.

the anime is very non-linear, so much of it focuses on establishing a background for where they are.

I like the concept, which is why I'll probably download the manga.

I'll be more open to reading when I get a tablet.

and no. prison school is 0% serious. it's fan service and "comedy"

I put that in quotes because I don't know if it's actually funny or not

Yeah there were 2 episodes where they do nothing.

It got better because i thought every episode would be like the first one (visually) and fortuntaely isn't.

Though tbh, i don't see where the anime is going, so far seems like a SoL with no actual objective and i don't know if it's going to keep it this way or if they are going to do something about their situation

Got that feeling of not knowing what to do after finishing a series (or, at least all that's currently released). 

Maybe I'll read Akatsuki no Yona next, the anime sort of ended short. 

I was like that after finishing Nana, the feeling didn't last long though.

Watched the last episode of Charlotte (WITH OUT OF SYNC SUBTITLES THAT ANNOYED ME)
It really needed more than 13 episodes, and I also hear that about Angel Beats (although I haven't seen it)

Angel Beats ending is weird, it needs more episodes but the ending is not that bad ethier

Back on anime related stuff (you guys just carry on  :P ), but what would you guys recommend as good starter animes for people haven't seen any before? Got a couple of friends curious about it, and I'm wondering what I should recommend.

I think death note is not bad.

Was gonna recommend Steins:Gate, but the first 8 episodes are not great for someone that never watched anime.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Trigun's one of my pet series, but it might not be for people who are in the mood to criticize anime for being "childish"... it's a tongue-in-cheek series for the first half, then gets superficially "angsty teen"-like for a while. I'd probably recommend Gankutsuou/Monte Cristo first to non-anime fans.

Comedy-wise I'd probably recommend Detroit Metal City, FLCL, or The Devil is a Part-Timer to people who aren't into anime, as they have a low bar of entry and the latter two have good dubs (IIRC).

Fair enough.

If someone's favourite thing ever was Monty Python, I'd recommend Nichijou. If it's Gilmore Girls, Hanasaku Iroha. If it's Blade Runner, Ergo Proxy. If it's The Breakfast Club, Kokoro Connect.

To be honest, some of those may not be good recommendations either (for similar reasons). Kokoro will probably turn most non-anime fans off in the first episode. Nichijou isn't really anything like Monty Python comedy-wise, and you'd probably have better results with Astro Fighter Sunred or Cromartie High. Hanasaku Iroha is also a bit much to ask for some people who want more substance from their stories, though that might not be the case for Gilmore Girl's viewers so I can't be sure.

You guys are marvellous! I'll shift through the suggestions and give them a whirl :)  

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

To be honest, some of those may not be good recommendations either (for similar reasons). Kokoro will probably turn most non-anime fans off in the first episode. Nichijou isn't really anything like Monty Python comedy-wise, and you'd probably have better results with Astro Fighter Sunred or Cromartie High. Hanasaku Iroha is also a bit much to ask for some people who want more substance from their stories, though that might not be the case for Gilmore Girl's viewers so I can't be sure.

I think it also matters how interested are these guys in watching anime. If they are into it, and they get to the part where fusen kazura appears, they might get hooked.

Idk about the comparisons, but nichijou is not bad, though if they thought anime is for kids and they wanna watch comedy anime, it kinda misses the point since an anime like nichijou can definately be taken as a kids show.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I think it also matters how interested are these guys in watching anime. If they are into it, and they get to the part where fusen kazura appears, they might get hooked.

Idk about the comparisons, but nichijou is not bad, though if they thought anime is for kids and they wanna watch comedy anime, it kinda misses the point since an anime like nichijou can definately be taken as a kids show.

I'm not saying they're bad recommendations, just that it takes a lot to make a good recommendation for some people. If you aren't sure, then it's easier to just try a few shows and see what happens. I mean if I could get my roommate hooked on FLCL and Nozaki-kun, then it's clear that for most people it's just down to the mood they're in.

I've recommended Space Brothers, Planetes, and Yamato 2199 to someone who "hates" anime but likes space stuff, thinking they would love Space Brothers the most, but they actually loved Yamato, because it turned out that they loved Yamato's English dub (Star Blazers) as a kid and didn't even remember it until they started watching the first episode. It's just that tough to know what to recommend sometimes. Now that same guy has jumped ahead of me watching Gintama and Space Brothers as well (sigh).

I'm not saying they're bad recommendations, just that it takes a lot to make a good recommendation for some people. If you aren't sure, then it's easier to just try a few shows and see what happens. I mean if I could get my roommate hooked on FLCL and Nozaki-kun, then it's clear that for most people it's just down to the mood they're in.

I've recommended Space Brothers, Planetes, and Yamato 2199 to someone who "hates" anime but likes space stuff, thinking they would love Space Brothers the most, but they actually loved Yamato, because it turned out that they loved Yamato's English dub (Star Blazers) as a kid and didn't even remember it until they started watching the first episode. It's just that tough to know what to recommend sometimes. Now that same guy has jumped ahead of me watching Gintama and Space Brothers as well (sigh).

In general recommending anime is not that hard, because most of the times people are like "i guess i like action anime, i liked dbz and naruto when i watched in cartoon network" thats very common and easy to recommend stuff imo.

But i agree, i think some shows are not good for people that nver watched anime because you kinda have to know how this "works".

Keeping on the actual topic in a thread can hardly be compared to being a nazi. By the way, you just lost that argument. :P

I wasn't arguing, it was just a statement on shit posting, my argument was with the kid posting poorly designed cases because he jumped straight to pc software. I did however give my opinion from what I took from his post, shit talking in a thread on this forum especially is a given due to the age range. Creating a seperate anime club/thread is pointless when this one serves it's purpose well imo given the varied amount of topics brought up, again I stress the fact there was no argument. 

An extension of this thought even clubs have rules. You don't hijack an auto clubs general meeting with detailed discussions of the new cod)

Clubs have rules true, but you know who else loved rules?... His army had amazing uniforms tbh...

Well, this. Plus we're already on LTT, which has its own threads for non-anime stuff, so really we're kind of already being weird (especially with the hardware-related chatter). But I can understand wanting to "be different" or insular or whatever, I just think some organization would be nice. Heck, even if it's not an HSC-specific thread, but just an LTT anime thread, I don't really care.

You know who else loved organisation? His stash was pretty tight yo!

Joking aside theres nothing wrong with this club and I enjoy hanging out talking anime and shit posting so feel free to keep it about one thing but fucking hell, how boring can you be?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Though tbh, i don't see where the anime is going, so far seems like a SoL with no actual objective and i don't know if it's going to keep it this way or if they are going to do something about their situation

The goal here is to go to the Winchester for a pint and wait for it all to blow over.

it's not supposed to go anywhere, anything in an apocalypse environment rarely does.

The setting and the plot are two and the same, the plot is the setting.

Things that happen are done to maintain the situation, or as they stated in the anime wait for help.

there were some notable differences, the manga continues and moves the story with some significant developments from what I've heard. There were also some scene exclusions, including helicopter-kun who never showed up in the anime.

Also to Norwegian dude, GITS is already the basic analogue to Bladerunner.

Error: 410

my argument was with the kid posting poorly designed cases because he jumped straight to pc software.

and i told you that going to software is easier for me than paper

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The goal here is to go to the Winchester for a pint and wait for it all to blow over.

it's not supposed to go anywhere, anything in an apocalypse environment rarely does.

Things that happen are done to maintain the situation, or as they stated in the anime wait for help.

there were some notable differences, the manga continues and moves the story with some significant developments from what I've heard. There were also some scene exclusions, including helicopter-kun who never showed up in the anime.

post-108407-0-63459800-1443299866.gif

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I wasn't arguing, it was just a statement on shit posting, my argument was with the kid posting poorly designed cases because he jumped straight to pc software. I did however give my opinion from what I took from his post, shit talking in a thread on this forum especially is a given due to the age range. Creating a seperate anime club/thread is pointless when this one serves it's purpose well imo given the varied amount of topics brought up, again I stress the fact there was no argument. 

Clubs have rules true, but you know who else loved rules?... His army had amazing uniforms tbh...

You know who else loved organisation? His stash was pretty tight yo!

Joking aside theres nothing wrong with this club and I enjoy hanging out talking anime and shit posting so feel free to keep it about one thing but fucking hell, how boring can you be?

Um, ok... I'll make sure apologize to my dead ancestors next time I'm visiting their mass graves in Poland, because of my "boring" suggestion that we organize our club's forum more like a real forum is organized :)

Like I said a while ago, even animals know not to piss in the same corner they eat or sleep in. If you find that boring, imagine how it feels to people who don't care about sifting through 30 pages of your oh-so-fun conversations just to see the 5 posts they might actually care about. But whatever, basic forum etiquette is like sooo tedious :D

In general recommending anime is not that hard, because most of the times people are like "i guess i like action anime, i liked dbz and naruto when i watched in cartoon network" thats very common and easy to recommend stuff imo.

But i agree, i think some shows are not good for people that nver watched anime because you kinda have to know how this "works".

Tbh recommending anime to people can go both ways regardless of what they have liked before, I find myself enjoying a lot of anime from varied genres I recently got into sword art online and will dive into naruto and full metal alchemist brotherhood at some point too, these animes I swore I'd never watch but I don't think that is fair to do. People have recommended me stuff in the past like tokyo ghoul and tbh I thought it was boring with very little character connection and the pacing was tbh, horrible but people love the absolute shit out of it all the same.

At the end of the day recommendations can only go so far, I've asked for them myself and have a list of anime to get through, will I enjoy them? Who knows other than me? I guess if we take a minor detour about your case design, it probably suits your needs fine but to me it would be an eye sore on my desk and the money involved wouldn't be worth the time or effort, the same goes for watching dbz, I got bored of it in the freiza saga that I full on just stopped watching it.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Um, ok... I'll make sure apologize to my dead ancestors next time I'm visiting their mass graves in Poland, because of my "boring" suggestion that we organize our club's forum more like a real forum is organized :)

Like I said a while ago, even animals know not to piss in the same corner they eat or sleep in. If you find that boring, imagine how it feels to people who don't care about sifting through 30 pages of your oh-so-fun conversations just to see the 5 posts they might actually care about. But whatever, basic forum etiquette is like sooo tedious :D

Some people just like to watch the world burn Mr Wayne... Also you lost the argument when you made it personal, Sorry to hear about the dead relatives though, What he did with the camps is inexcusable.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Watched the final episode of Working!!!. Really didnt feel like the last episode. Besides. They put some random thing at the end so I guess the real ending will be an hour long special. 

Listening to Ghost in the Shell SSS OST on my speakers and I kept thinking my HDD was making noise but it was just the music.

Blarg

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140001-anime-club-heaven-society/?p=6096694

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Also to Norwegian dude, GITS is already the basic analogue to Bladerunner.

I wonder why?

Maybe is one of those anime where everyone will say manga is better, so people will go buy the manga, and they will never release more content for it? Also the censored scenes are really annoying.

Is not boring, what's boring is reading through stuff that's offtopic and shitposts.

Some people just like to watch the world burn Mr Wayne... Also you lost the argument when you made it personal, Sorry to hear about the dead relatives though, What he did with the camps is inexcusable.

You said YOU ENJOY shit posting and it would be boring without it.

You made it personal there, and also i can't undestand why you don't get this. Go talk about random stuff on other topics and see how people ract to it.

Its not normal, nor accepted, to go to a thread and talk about stuff that's completely offtopic. Etiquette, as bash said.

You lost the argument when you proved that you clear don't know forum etiquette to begin with. At least accept that what you do is wrong..

What argument? You mean you were being serious about this? And you didn't understand that you already lost the argument when you applied Godwin's law?

I wonder why?

Maybe is one of those anime where everyone will say manga is better, so people will go buy the manga, and they will never release more content for it? Also the censored scenes are really annoying.

it literally was made to sell the manga

the censored scenes don't actually bother me much in this

action was never a sticking point, neither was gore.

It's pretty boring to watch someone shovel-knight a zombie to 2nd death

With regards to shitposting; it happens here, it's Ok for it to every now and then. There's a ratio of content to noise that is acceptable. Off topic banter and giggles is fine here and there, but I shouldn't have to search for something to read or spend most of the time scrolling through posts that have nothing to do with the congregate interest.

When it's NOT OK is when

a) nobody in the thread can interact with it

b) it contributes nothing to any conversation whatsoever

c) you post nothing relevant to the thread, like, ever. It's a thread about anime, if your posts never have anything to do with them, why post it here?

d) EXCESSIVE posts

aii) it belongs in a PM and is from a conversation relevant to nobody else that has to read the thread

it literally was made to sell the manga

the censored scenes don't actually bother me much in this

action was never a sticking point, neither was gore.

It's pretty boring to watch someone shovel-knight a zombie to 2nd death

With regards to shitposting; it happens here, it's Ok for it to

When it's NOT OK is when

a) nobody in the thread can interact with it

B) it contributes nothing to any conversation whatsoever

c) it belongs in a PM and is from a conversation relevant to nobody else that has to read the thread

Yeah it looks like it. Too bad, i really like the concept. The censored parts kinda bother me because i know exactly what's censored and why, and makes no sense.

I agree with all your points regarding shitpost.

Yeah it looks like it. Too bad, i really like the concept. The censored parts kinda bother me because i know exactly what's censored and why, and makes no sense.

I agree with all your points regarding shitpost.

I barely noticed it, unlike TG where it was really distracting. There's a certain effect you produce when you make horror and don't actually show it.

Scene cuts and that one scene where they show shovelknight making blood splash everywhere and on Eraserhead's face was particularly very well done.

Adds more impact by focusing on the response of everyone else, rather than wasting time showing someone getting brutalized.

If that was a censor it would be better like that.

What argument? You mean you were being serious about this? And you didn't understand that you already lost the argument when you applied Godwin's law?

Mate, I'm literally taking the piss, calm down, tell both of your tits to chill out and go back to watching some good Trigun anime. I literally have no ill will or anything against you and I could care less what you think of me or say against me, from this point on due to boredom I'll just post nonsense until you see that I give zero fucks.

Tl;Dr shhhhh.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Mate, I'm literally taking the piss, calm down, tell both of your tits to chill out and go back to watching some good Trigun anime. I literally have no ill will or anything against you and I could care less what you think of me or say against me, from this point on due to boredom I'll just post nonsense until you see that I give zero fucks.

Tl;Dr shhhhh.

as a favor turn the British parameter down a tad

inflection doesn't work over text