is it normal for fans to make whirring at high RPM's

Cringe123

I just got some cooler master mf120 halos. I was setting my rpm in the bios and whenever I go over 1200rpm it starts making a constant whirr sound. When I go a little higher it gets quieter almost to the point of stopping but then gets louder again. I tried stopping each fan individually, but it seems that the sound plays no matter what fan isnt spinning. I have 4. If I stop 2 of them the whirring stops but if I stop another 2 I get the same effect so I dont think its an issue with a fan. Just want to make sure its normal. Thanks

To find out which fan is causing the noise, stop all fans and just start up one at a time. 

By isolating the noise, you can see if one fan is abnormally loud compared to the other fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

To find out which fan is causing the noise, stop all fans and just start up one at a time. 

By isolating the noise, you can see if one fan is abnormally loud compared to the other fans. 

all my fans are connected to a 4 way fan splitter. I cant stop each one individually as I can only control the header they're all connected to. When I tested it before I just stopped it by gently putting my finger on the middle of the fan. (Probably a terrible idea now that I think about it, but they're working like they were before)

5 minutes ago, Cringe123 said:

all my fans are connected to a 4 way fan splitter. I cant stop each one individually as I can only control the header they're all connected to. When I tested it before I just stopped it by gently putting my finger on the middle of the fan. (Probably a terrible idea now that I think about it, but they're working like they were before)

As long as the fan rpm isn't high enough to hurt your finger, stopping fans that way is generally fine. 

What motherboard are you using? Are you unable to plug each fan in individually?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

As long as the fan rpm isn't high enough to hurt your finger, stopping fans that way is generally fine. 

What motherboard are you using? Are you unable to plug each fan in individually?

MSI Z390 Gaming plus. It has 5 headers so I could plug them individually to test it, but it would be annoying as I just cable managed them so Id have to snip all the zip ties.

I have had problems with noise when fan blades are too close to the grille. Only on my intake fans. My guess is it's from the fan blades moving across the holes at higher speeds. This happens with my Noctua A14 fans and Arctic P12 ARGB fans I have. Starts at around 40% speed and gets louder as RPM increases.

I solved it by spacing the fans out with washers, then taping the edges to create a seal.

Try removing a fan from the case and run it while holding it in your hand. This way you can narrow down the cause of the noise. If the noise is still present, it may be something inherent with that fan. 4 noisy fans isn't a coincidence.

this is a good video that exspanes it a bit.

there is something about blades moving passed an sold object dont remember what its called just like a windmill

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

I have had problems with noise when fan blades are too close to the grille. Only on my intake fans. My guess is it's from the fan blades moving across the holes at higher speeds. This happens with my Noctua A14 fans and Arctic P12 ARGB fans I have. Starts at around 40% speed and gets louder as RPM increases.

I solved it by spacing the fans out with washers, then taping the edges to create a seal.

Try removing a fan from the case and run it while holding it in your hand. This way you can narrow down the cause of the noise. If the noise is still present, it may be something inherent with that fan. 4 noisy fans isn't a coincidence.

It's really odd. Im not sure if its just how the fans are meant to be or not. Whatever fan I cover it still makes the same sound but not as loud. The sound seems to fade away mostly after about 3 mins of running at a higher rpm. I also just found out that the sound plays at 40 percent too. However theres no sound at 50% power for some reason. It might just be normal and Im just not used to it so I think its an issue. It's not really a particulary loud sound.

I just tried turning them high again now and it just sounds like a quiet high pitched "wowowowowow". It's not very noticeable.