Who's also planning on ordering an AM5 motherboard, once the CPUs are released!?

I am.

A good article to get your started here: AMD Ryzen 6000 Series Release Date, Specifications, Price, and Benchmarks, this is mostly about AM4 but there are little yummy details about AM5 rumored in there. Everything is theory right now, but I am still excited. We should see AM5 in 2023. Anyone else going to build a new system when AM5 comes and the CPUs are blazing fast?

Discuss!

The reason why I will be building an AM5 system once the boards and CPUs are out is because I'm a technocrat and I just love new tech out there. Currently on an older AM4 motherboard, and my rule of thumb is only build a new system every 5-10 years. This keeps it economically sound, and lets me max out the mainboard without building a new system keeping costs at an all time low.

Just upgraded to socket AM4 and a Ryzen 5800x , so it's probably gonna be at least 3-4 years until i upgrade.

Would never upgrade to first generation of something, because of early adopter issues ... firmware bugs, bios bugs, expensive stuff like ddr5 memory... 2nd gen usually is more stable and has hardware bugs fixed and improvements  (ex see Ryzen 1xxx vs Ryzen 2xxx processors, which had much better ram compatibility and other things working for them)

44 minutes ago, Exsosus said:

The reason why I will be building an AM5 system once the boards and CPUs are out is because I'm a technocrat and I just love new tech out there.

Sounds more like a masochist, not a technocrat... you like hurting yourself... you can be knowledgeable in IT, hardware, computer components, without actually being on the "bleeding edge"... which is called like that for a reason.

Do you think a network engineer is no good if they don't use $50k network switches in their home?

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Would never upgrade to first generation of something, because of early adopter issues ... firmware bugs, bios bugs, expensive stuff like ddr5 memory... 2nd gen usually is more stable and has hardware bugs fixed and improvements  (ex see Ryzen 1xxx vs Ryzen 2xxx processors, which had much better ram compatibility and other things working for them)

^This^ is the same exact reasoning I would not buy a AM5 motherboard or even upgrade yet due to early adopter issues. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

34 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Just upgraded to socket AM4 and a Ryzen 5800x , so it's probably gonna be at least 3-4 years until i upgrade.

Sounds more like a masochist, not a technocrat... you like hurting yourself... you can be knowledgeable in IT, hardware, computer components, without actually being on the "bleeding edge"... which is called like that for a reason.

Do you think a network engineer is no good if they don't use $50k network switches in their home?

Do not worry @mariushm I am far from a masochist. I just love technology. Your post was nice too. Had I build an AM4 system today, I would have build my next one in the year 2026 or after.

30 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

^This^ is the same exact reasoning I would not buy a AM5 motherboard or even upgrade yet due to early adopter issues. 

Hi there @CommanderAlex. Can you give me a few examples of what AM4 had for early adopter issues when it first came to the market?

3 minutes ago, Exsosus said:

Hi there @CommanderAlex. Can you give me a few examples of what AM4 had for early adopter issues when it first came to the market?

IMC.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

47 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Same here! I am going to wait until 7000 series, or what ever they want to call it.

3 hours ago, Exsosus said:

Anyone else going to build a new system when AM5 comes and the CPUs are blazing fast?

I am probably going to upgrade my PC sometime in the coming ~3 years. Not sure if that will be AM5, AM6 LGA XXXX or whatever it ends up being though. Performance wise my PC is fine, although the single threaded performance leaves a bit to be desired. But I'd like better video encoding on my GPU, and I would also like to consolidate my storage so that I just have one big SSD. Right now I got two SSDs and two HDDs, and that just feels messy.

The reason why I will be building an AM5 system once the boards and CPUs are out is because I'm a technocrat and I just love new tech out there.

Sounds to me like you're more of a "consoomer", which is not a good thing. "I buy things" should not be how you describe yourself.

Also, I think you are misusing the term "technocrat". A technocrat is someone who advocates for a form of government system where the decision making or makers are selected based on scientific or technical knowledge, rather than democracy. It doesn't mean "I mindlessly buy new tech things".

my rule of thumb is only build a new system every 5-10 years.

I think a better rule of thumb would be "build a new system when your old one is no longer able to do things in a satisfying manner".

Do you actually need to upgrade your PC or are you buying new stuff because you are being brainwashed by marketing, and it gives you a temporary rush of dopamine whenever you spend money?

2 hours ago, Exsosus said:

The big one was RAM compatibility. Quite a few people had issues getting their RAM to function at the validated speeds.

A couple of other issues that have been discovered is the fact that Ryzen 1000 can not address more than 16MB of EEPROM. Ryzen 2000 and higher can address more.

Temperature readings on Ryzen chips has changed from generation to generation. From what I remember, the first gen Ryzen processors has some weird internal offset that causes them to display ~20 degrees lower temperature than what it actually runs at. Other generations have other offsets but I believe they are more accurate.

There are also some reports of Ryzen chips degrading, thus causing you to need higher and higher voltage as time goes on, but I think that mostly affects Ryzen 3000, so in that case waiting for later generations didn't really help.

I'm not planning to upgrade my entire platform any time soon. I'm already on B450, so I'll probably just upgrade my CPU once I feel the need to do so. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am probably going to upgrade my PC sometime in the coming ~3 years. Not sure if that will be AM5, AM6 LGA XXXX or whatever it ends up being though. Performance wise my PC is fine, although the single threaded performance leaves a bit to be desired. But I'd like better video encoding on my GPU, and I would also like to consolidate my storage so that I just have one big SSD. Right now I got two SSDs and two HDDs, and that just feels messy.

Sounds to me like you're more of a "consoomer", which is not a good thing. "I buy things" should not be how you describe yourself.

Also, I think you are misusing the term "technocrat". A technocrat is someone who advocates for a form of government system where the decision making or makers are selected based on scientific or technical knowledge, rather than democracy. It doesn't mean "I mindlessly buy new tech things".

I think a better rule of thumb would be "build a new system when your old one is no longer able to do things in a satisfying manner".

Do you actually need to upgrade your PC or are you buying new stuff because you are being brainwashed by marketing, and it gives you a temporary rush of dopamine whenever you spend money?

The big one was RAM compatibility. Quite a few people had issues getting their RAM to function at the validated speeds.

A couple of other issues that have been discovered is the fact that Ryzen 1000 can not address more than 16MB of EEPROM. Ryzen 2000 and higher can address more.

Temperature readings on Ryzen chips has changed from generation to generation. From what I remember, the first gen Ryzen processors has some weird internal offset that causes them to display ~20 degrees lower temperature than what it actually runs at. Other generations have other offsets but I believe they are more accurate.

There are also some reports of Ryzen chips degrading, thus causing you to need higher and higher voltage as time goes on, but I think that mostly affects Ryzen 3000, so in that case waiting for later generations didn't really help.

Hi LAwlz, try not to judge people on the forum. If you haven't learned that by this point in life, try to. Let God do that one, hehe. I can happily tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a material minimalist and technophile. That means that I buy only what I need, when its needed and try to sell / give away things at home I don't use anymore. In this kind of description of myself you can notice I'm not a normal consumer, nor into buying the latest of the latest each week or month like many people are. I am what is called minimalist consumer. Thanks for helping me with the word technocrat as I do not live in an English-speaking country. Technocrat, what I intended as meaning instead was to write: Technophile. Definition of Technophile

When you wrote, build a new system when your old one is no longer able to do things in a satisfying manner, that is completely up to opinion. Instead, I go by years and years to decide when to buy. My system is 3 years old now, therefore in about 2-3 years it has been at least 5 and I'll build a new system then as that is my plan.

Thank you for explaining some examples of early adopter issues from the start of the AM4 era.

I just saw you answered the general OP question at the beginning of this. Nice discussion, all of us so far. Keep it up.

8 hours ago, Exsosus said:

Anyone else going to build a new system when AM5 comes and the CPUs are blazing fast?

No, not really, I think I would just buy a used 3rd gen Ryzen 7 by the time my 2600X can't keep up, which would probably be by the time when I buy one of them stupid crap value RTX cards.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches