Do you think you can test rgb fans with the only other componet being the psu and case?

CU554

The only parts I have for more new pc are the case, fans, and power supply. I want to test the fans but I don't have all the parts to the pc. I installed the fans, plugged them into a hub thing, and hooked the rgb cable to one that came with the case. I also plugged in the sata cable to the sata on my psu. Do you think I can turn on the pc just to test the fans?

2 minutes ago, CU554 said:

The only parts I have for more new pc are the case, fans, and power supply. I want to test the fans but I don't have all the parts to the pc. I installed the fans, plugged them into a hub thing, and hooked the rgb cable to one that came with the case. I also plugged in the sata cable to the sata on my psu. Do you think I can turn on the pc just to test the fans?

If the fans are plugged into power, they will spin. But you likely won’t be able to control the RGB without a motherboard. What hub thing does the case have? Is it the same type of RGB plug as your fans? If it’s just a case controller it’s likely just RGB, and the fans are likely aRGB (addressable RGB). 

Id just wait until the rest of the parts show up, less chance you accidentally send 12v to something that doesn’t want 12v. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

You can run non-PWM fans without the computer. They just need power. PWM fans might not work correctly since if the PWM is not sending a signal, it will run at 100%. The RGB part requires separate power/addressability which is only provided by the motherboard.

Or you could spend money on fan controllers/rgb controllers. 

1 hour ago, CU554 said:

As the other people have said, you can test the fans without the rest of the computer. You just need to turn on the PSU without the motherboard.

In order to turn on the PSU without a motherboard, you're going to need to bridge two cables in the 24-pin connector.

!!!!!DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!PSUS CAN HOLD ENOUGH POWER TO KILL A HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is how you power on a PSU without a motherboard. 

1) Pull the power cord from the PSU, or flip the POWER switch to OFF.

2) Take something conductive like a metal paper clip and shove one end into the green cable (PS_ON wire) on the 24-pin connector and the other end into any of the black cables (ground wires) 

3) Make sure nothing is touching the paper clip because there will be current flowing through it, and it will potentially get hot. 

4) Make sure you got something connected to one of the cables to prevent damage to the PSU. For example a fan.

5) Connect the power to the PSU again (plug in the cable or flip the switch, whichever you did before).

6) When you want to turn the PSU off again, pull the power cable BEFORE you remove the paper clip.

!!!!!!!!!!!!PSUS CAN HOLD ENOUGH POWER TO KILL A HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

But I honestly don't really know why you would want to test this before you get your other components. The components won't be of any use for you until you got everything, and the risk of a fan being dead is extremely low. Doing this is a fairly big risk (you might damage your PSU, connecting the wrong cables might destroy your PSU, you could start a fire, you could give yourself an electrical shock, etc) and I don't think you really gain anything from doing it.

Just relax, have some patience and wait for the rest of the parts to show up.

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv