is my screen defective?

e22big
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

I posted on another thread having similar issues. There it turned out to be a Nvidia driver issue that has an available hotfix.

I have been having a dark screen or flickering issue lately. My screen would turn itself off and turn on, flicker slightly when browsing web or work on word editor, or just darken everything (more like dramatically increase exposure or reverse colour) for a microsecond and back to normal. All of these happend very rarely, on average less than once an hour. My GPU, PSU and this display are all new so I am not sure if it's a hardware or software issue. Do you guy have any idea? 

*note that it seems to happened over a spesific type of workload rather than time interval, expanding social media post, switching tab or browsing Twitter in dark mode seems to have trigger the issue while I've not see it once in game or movies

Don't want to RMA if it's a software issue, I also need this monitor for work and while I do have spare, it's a huge pain in the ass

It can be the monitor cable. Some of them can be dogshit. LTT had some videos recently about about cable quality and testing them. 

So if you have some avaiilable, try switching it out.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

You can also try manually setting the color mode in the GPU panel, it might be trying to change color spaces.

I posted on another thread having similar issues. There it turned out to be a Nvidia driver issue that has an available hotfix.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

24 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

oh definitely sound like something worth trying, thanks (yes I do use Nvidia GPU)

1 hour ago, Tegneren said:

It can be the monitor cable. Some of them can be dogshit. LTT had some videos recently about about cable quality and testing them. 

So if you have some avaiilable, try switching it out.

hmn I doubt it, my cable came with the monitor itself so it should be fine

21 minutes ago, e22big said:

hmn I doubt it, my cable came with the monitor itself so it should be fine

That is most definitely not a guarantee. Those cables are typically the bottom barrel cheapest crap that hopefully work.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

12 hours ago, Tegneren said:

That is most definitely not a guarantee. Those cables are typically the bottom barrel cheapest crap that hopefully work.

Unrelated- This was my suggestion for the next set of cable tests

On 12/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, Stahlmann said:

Hey man, just want to let you know that you were absolutely right on the money. I turn off GF Experience because I was testing NIS and it has been causing an issue and as it turn out, I have been missing a driver update. Updating it seems to solve my problem completely, haven't see any flikering for a couple of days now so that's probably it. Thanks a ton

3 hours ago, e22big said:

Hey man, just want to let you know that you were absolutely right on the money. I turn off GF Experience because I was testing NIS and it has been causing an issue and as it turn out, I have been missing a driver update. Updating it seems to solve my problem completely, haven't see any flikering for a couple of days now so that's probably it. Thanks a ton

Happy to be of help!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.