Should I trade my Vega 64 + USD300 for RX6700XT?

Chiyawa

Hi,

My friend offers a trade for me. He wants to trade his Power Colour RX6700XT Red Devil for my Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming and additional RM1250 (about USD 300).

Not sure if this is a good trade. For instance, RX6700XT has fewer Compute Unit (Only 40CU) compare to my current Vega 64 which has 64CU. RAM wise, the RX6700XT has 12 GB GDDR6 while my Vega has 8GB, but 8GB still is good to run almost every game without a hitch. Ray Accelerator was new to me, but I'm not fancy of Ray Tracing. Though what I'm fancy is the 'Smart Memory Access', but I believe Ryzen 5 3600 is not supported.

Anyway, should I take his offer?

Regards,

Chiyawa.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

6 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

For instance, RX6700XT has fewer Compute Unit (Only 40CU) compare to my current Vega 64 which has 64CU

You can't compare compute units outside of the same generation. RDNA2 compute units are miles better than the Vega 64's compute units, at least in a gaming scenario.

7 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

RAM wise, the RX6700XT has 12 GB GDDR6 while my Vega has 8GB, but 8GB still is good to run almost every game without a hitch.

12GB of RAM will eventually be needed in games, though do remember that Vega has faster RAM (HBM)

8 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Ray Accelerator was new to me, but I'm not fancy of Ray Tracing.

The 6700XT only barely qualifies as having Ray Tracing, if you look at performance with it. It's not even playable in a lot of conditions. 

10 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Though what I'm fancy is the 'Smart Memory Access', but I believe Ryzen 5 3600 is not supported.

It's supported. The real question is does your motherboard support it?

All that said, that leaves the question of should you do it? First thing you should ask is if that card is giving you enough performance right now? If it's not, and you're fine with spending $300, then get it. Next you should ask is why is your friend offering you this trade? IIRC, the Vega 64 is a beast of a mining card, performing better than the 6700XT. If that is the case, and your friend is a miner, he gains a better card and more money at the same time. If you do want it still, you can probably use that to negotiate less money going to him. If he's not a miner and just doesn't need that powerful of a card, then still consider it, though IMO $300 is a bit steep for the upgrade (granted this is based off the US market and I'm a cheap bastard, so take that for what you will)

31 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Hi,

My friend offers a trade for me. He wants to trade his Power Colour RX6700XT Red Devil for my Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming and additional RM1250 (about USD 300).

Not sure if this is a good trade. For instance, RX6700XT has fewer Compute Unit (Only 40CU) compare to my current Vega 64 which has 64CU. RAM wise, the RX6700XT has 12 GB GDDR6 while my Vega has 8GB, but 8GB still is good to run almost every game without a hitch. Ray Accelerator was new to me, but I'm not fancy of Ray Tracing. Though what I'm fancy is the 'Smart Memory Access', but I believe Ryzen 5 3600 is not supported.

Anyway, should I take his offer?

Regards,

Chiyawa.

Your friend maybe a crypto miner?  They’ll be better at different things.  The vega64 was a beast at compute. It wasn’t originally designed as a gaming card and was merely pressed into service as such.   What I would do is look at recent relative eBay pricing for each model.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@RONOTHAN##@Bombastinator

I see. Thanks for the input.

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You can't compare compute units outside of the same generation. RDNA2 compute units are miles better than the Vega 64's compute units, at least in a gaming scenario.

That's true. rDNA2 is a well designed architecture compare to Vega GCN4 or 5. Still, having more compute units helps in certain application, mostly 3D rendering application.

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

12GB of RAM will eventually be needed in games, though do remember that Vega has faster RAM (HBM)

Hope it won't, well, not so soon anyway. I usually game in 1080p so I don't think many game needs high VRAM. It does reduce stuttering with more VRAM because it doesn't have to offload and reload textures to and from main system RAM.

Hmm... I'm not aware Vega 64 RAM is faster than GDDR6. I know HBM can chug out 2048 bits of data per cycle, though. Still, I can only crank the RAM clock to 1100MHz, which effectively provide 2200 Mega Transfer per second, that's only equal to

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 6700XT only barely qualifies as having Ray Tracing, if you look at performance with it. It's not even playable in a lot of conditions. 

Yeah. That's why I'm not into it. I'm fine without Ray Tracing.

22 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Next you should ask is why is your friend offering you this trade? IIRC, the Vega 64 is a beast of a mining card, performing better than the 6700XT.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Your friend maybe a crypto miner?

Most probably, but he is more of a 3D renderer. I bought this card because I do a few 3D renders back then as a hobbyist. However, since I'm no longer devoting most of my time on 3D rendering, I'm just thinking of maybe get something better. I do think his asking price is a bit steep, so that's my reason of posting in LTT for an opinion. Okay, thanks for your input. I'll try to negotiate with him and see if we can work out a deal.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Compare eBay sold prices for both cards in your region to figure out if it's a good deal or not.

The 6700xt is significantly faster than a vega64 in gaming, circa 50%, so it's a solid upgrade.

The only question is whether the price is decent. Here in the UK, you can buy a brand new 6700xt for £750-800ish. And you'll sell the vega64 for 550-600ish. So 300$ seems a little expensive as a mates swap on a used card.

It's actually quite a good time to upgrade from a card like the Vega, it's mining performance is amplifying its value in the used market, so selling it and buying a 6700xt is probably quite a good move, so long as the price is right.

vega + 300 for a 6700xt .

Yes do it. Less power and you have more performance 

6700xt is a fast card and uses way less to get there. 1080p max all day with raytrace and fsr , 1440p will be ok but not 4k 

comparing with nvidia cards the 6700xt is better then a 3060 ti and close to a 3070 . 

I had a vega 64 with a waterblock it was a good card but the 6700xt is just better            

Thanks, @Aragorn-@Xkillerpn

Thanks for your feedback.

However, my friend is reluctant to part his Red Devil so I guess the trade is off. Ah, too bad, but I can't blame him. I'm also quite sentimental with my Vega, having paying about USD 330 (quite a bargain) back in 2019 when RX 5000 series card just release for a couple of months as the shop is clearing the old stocks.

Bummer. I was quite excited, actually. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Thanks, @Aragorn-@Xkillerpn

Thanks for your feedback.

However, my friend is reluctant to part his Red Devil so I guess the trade is off. Ah, too bad, but I can't blame him. I'm also quite sentimental with my Vega, having paying about USD 330 (quite a bargain) back in 2019 when RX 5000 series card just release for a couple of months as the shop is clearing the old stocks.

Bummer. I was quite excited, actually. Oh well.

So given previous posts are correct, the equivalent is available as regular pricing for vega+ $250.  Or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.