$400 Build for parents

elpiop

Looking to build a new pc for my parents (mainly my father). Would like to keep it around $400 not including OS/monitor/peripherals. He's just going to be using it for web browsing/youtube/video streaming, but I'd like it to feel relatively fast so I don't have to hear any complaints about it being slow in a few years. 

I was thinking something like this, but would appreciate any feedback if there are better deals out there right now. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10105 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($123.84 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC F2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($42.96 @ Newegg)  Chose this because he likes orange but if it sucks I'm fine with changing it to anything else
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $401.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-01 15:25 EST-0500

Thanks in advance. 

Looks good to me. Really, any system with an SSD is "fast" for parents because they don't know the underlying parts of a PC. Just make sure you install an Adblocker like uBlock to keep him from downloading sketch software so it doesn't slow the system down and he should be good to go!

For RAM I'd recommend this, because it's dual channel which is much better and costs the same.

If the budget allows it it may be worth spending $40 extra on a 10400 in the long run. Right now there probably isn't much of a difference, but the 10400 would probably last a few more years before needing an upgrade.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I was looking at some Optiplex before, didn't realize people sold them barebones like that. I'll definitely keep that in mind

**Edit: I wrote the comment below before I saw that your build already had the Seasonic Core GM PSU and @ebprince the computer nerd changed the PSU. accidentally thought your build also had the S12III... So your build is OK, and you can combine it with the i5 and cheaper SSD and dual channel RAM

So this is my buildhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/9r8Rj2

----------------------- original comment -----------------------

I would just change that PSU, I remember reading somewhere it is missing one of the protections, although it's a Seasonic (And confirmed after looking in Seasonic website)

Unless someone here will correct me and it's a OK PSU

Maybe this instead? https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-core-series-core-gm-500-500w/p/N82E16817151242?Item=N82E16817151242&quicklink=true

Same price, all protections, 7 years warranty, on sale, Tier B on the PSU Tier list, 

and yes, @ebprince the computer nerd build is a little beast with that i5, if you don't mind those extra $

About the NVME - I had a 970 Evo died after 1 month of use, so if you choose that SSD based on reliability know it's not always the case.

And for normal usage the SN550 is more than enough. Also, it's rated for 300 TBW, which is equivalent to writing 165 GB of data every day for 5 years (the warranty period), I'm not sure they will pass the 5GB per day