Custom Water Cooled Desk - 56k warning. Lotsa Pictures! *Now with Table of Contents*

PBaines

Wow, nice build. Reminds me of a water cooled desk I saw at a tech show. That one had monitors that came out from inside the desk when you switched the computer on. :o

Consider running those two graphics cards in parallel rather then series. Also you could avoid using fittings on those long tubing runs. There are methods I have seen to bend acrylic tubing so that the ID doesn't decrease while you are bending it. It would look much cleaner. Especially if you had it hugging the bottom of the desk for as long as possible. Not touching just 1 or 2 cm above and only had 90 degree bends in any direction. It would also be much cheaper because fittings are expensive as you have probably found out already. :P

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Looking amazing so far, cant wait to see the finished product. Would like to see the temps you would get having it in there :D

man that must be a lot of work. but it looks great and if it was at a store i would buy that, great work!!

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Wow, nice build. Reminds me of a water cooled desk I saw at a tech show. That one had monitors that came out from inside the desk when you switched the computer on. :o

Consider running those two graphics cards in parallel rather then series. Also you could avoid using fittings on those long tubing runs. There are methods I have seen to bend acrylic tubing so that the ID doesn't decrease while you are bending it. It would look much cleaner. Especially if you had it hugging the bottom of the desk for as long as possible. Not touching just 1 or 2 cm above and only had 90 degree bends in any direction. It would also be much cheaper because fittings are expensive as you have probably found out already. :P

Wow, I do not think that I am THAT tech savvy to create something like that. But the idea sounds wicked.

I do not like the look of parallel, to me series looks better :)

Oh, that's right. Thanks for reminding me. A shame that I have all ready bought the fittings for it all haha, if I had used some initiative I could have done that. but then again I think I would like the look of fittings anyway.

The tube will be about 3cm above the bottom of the desk, allowing any cables to be run under it.

It would be awesome if someone would create thicker tubing with inner tubes like a helix for cable management for this. They could end in an adaptation of cylinder reservoir tops to get the cables out and switch to a smaller tubing size.

dam.. Looks like too many people love my build :P

Hi Phil,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

This suspension is temporary.

Please visit Dropbox support if you have any questions.

- The Dropbox Team

Nice job :)

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

There we go, looks like I have to upgrade my account just to allow you guys to get updates :P

How much would you charge for a desk like that? Haha

Love your craftsmanship, and the build is looking really nice.

More updates Please

Ballin!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

How much would you charge for a desk like that? Haha

Love your craftsmanship, and the build is looking really nice.

More updates Please

For a custom desk like this with no parts just the desk unit probably around $850usd.

Though If I were to add a PSU and customise the cables ready for installation of a setup It would be a bit more.

will you make a new thread for the next instalment of updates or will u use this thread as well

chimmychunger, on 26 May 2013 - 3:28 PM, said:

will you make a new thread for the next instalment of updates or will u use this thread as well

Why would I make a new thread for this build?

So it's true, there are lots of sheep in New Zealand. :D

So it's true, there are lots of sheep in New Zealand. :D

Not really, only about 60 million I think? ;)

This........is.........AWESOME!!

It's epic and it's not done yet

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

1. How tall will the table be? I imagine the tabletop itself will be quite thick because it holds all the electronics and you still need to sit by the table without your feet hovering half a meter above the ground (I guess?)

2. Where did you learn to work with wood like that? Personally I wouldn't know how to begin or end...

3. Your pictures and videos showcase two res' and two pump's. Why?  :huh:

4. Have you considered cutting a hole and flipping your PSU, allowing it to draw fresh air from beneath the table?

5. Will you add dust filters to all your intakes?

6. Any plans for exhaust fans?

Dude, once again your build is something from a dream. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, I can't help it when I get enthusiastic about something!  :P

1. How tall will the table be? I imagine the tabletop itself will be quite thick because it holds all the electronics and you still need to sit by the table without your feet hovering half a meter above the ground (I guess?)

That is undecided at the moment, I MAY have to chop the legs and the draw carcass down a bit because at the moment it is a bit tall. I will measure it from bottom to top tomorrow for you but that will be only that way for about a month before I shorten it 

2. Where did you learn to work with wood like that? Personally I wouldn't know how to begin or end...

I have just come out of my last year of High School (7th form) last year and used all of my skills I learnt there towards this. Making something like this is a lot easier than one would think. All you need is patience and time.

3. Your pictures and videos showcase two res' and two pump's. Why?  :huh:

simple... I will be USING two res's and pump's :D

4. Have you considered cutting a hole and flipping your PSU, allowing it to draw fresh air from beneath the table?

I have yes, but I guess there is no reason to have it the way it all ready is. The PSU fan barely ever goes anyway so it isn't like it is essential to have fresh air to it all the time It is going

5. Will you add dust filters to all your intakes?

Though it might sound a bit stupid. No. Because taking the rads out, to clean the filters would be a pain in the arse, where as if I left it with no filters I could just use my air compressor and blow air through the rads and fans and vacuum clean the mess up.

6. Any plans for exhaust fans?

There is not really a need for exhaust fans with the way I have set this up. 

Dude, once again your build is something from a dream. I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, I can't help it when I get enthusiastic about something!  :P

I love answering questions, because it makes me feel like people are more interested and paying a lot more attention to the build! ;)

I admire you for this!
As soon as I have enough time and patience I might try it out.....
Also you need the right tools, which is a downside because those types of tools cost a substantial amount of money...

Is wood cheaper in NZ? because here it costs an awfully large amount of money to buy decent wood.. Or is it all recycled wood that you found here and there?

DUDE this is just an AMAZING build, you've given me so much insight and passion (I can't really express it :D) that I just want to go off and buy a shit load of wood and tools and start building one of my own :D

I admire you for this!

As soon as I have enough time and patience I might try it out.....

Also you need the right tools, which is a downside because those types of tools cost a substantial amount of money...

Is wood cheaper in NZ? because here it costs an awfully large amount of money to buy decent wood.. Or is it all recycled wood that you found here and there?

DUDE this is just an AMAZING build, you've given me so much insight and passion (I can't really express it :D) that I just want to go off and buy a shit load of wood and tools and start building one of my own :D

Wood isn't THAT cheap here. I am using recycled native NZ wood that was from different house renovations :)

Seriously mate it's the best fun you could have!