Need help finding headphones!

DankDoodles
Go to solution Solved by DankDoodles,

Update: I ended up getting the Sony WH-1000XM4 since they were on sale.

Budget (Max): $175.99 USD

Purposes/focus for Headphones: Gaming, Talking in Discord, Watching Media (YouTube, Hulu, etc), and listening to music. 

Other details: I am having a hard time finding reviews for Headphones and not Headsets. Since it's Black Friday (I know I am getting close to the deadline), can someone recommend me some options?

Optional: Wireless headphones? (100% Not necessary)

14 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Purposes/focus for Headphones: Gaming, Talking in Discord, Watching Media (YouTube, Hulu, etc), and listening to music. 

Other details: I am having a hard time finding reviews for Headphones and not Headsets. Since it's Black Friday (I know I am getting close to the deadline), can someone recommend me some options?

I got a pair of UA Rock JBL headphones on the yearly one item firesale earlier this year, and the usual sale price is somewhere around USD150-175, and I absolutely love them. They aren't the loudest, but the audio quality is fantastic and have used them for calls and never had a complaint. They do fit a little tight on my head, but I have a kinda large head for headphones, which is why I usually wear earbuds or my older JBL E55 BT which are already stretched out if I'm going to be using them for a long time.

1 hour ago, DankDoodles said:

Compressed dynamics, crunchy treble response, warbling artifacts, lossy audio codecs. Just a few words to describe this format. Nobody's taking Bluetooth seriously until the new AptX Lossless codec releases (which likely won't be supported on any current-gen cans) and some decent prospects arise. LDAC is nice, but unless both your playback device and you cans support it, you're screwed. Plus it normally doesn't start to make an appearance until the ~$300 pricepoint.

1 hour ago, DankDoodles said:

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

Sennheiser HD 560S

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

I've been extremely happy with my Skullcandy Crusher Evos. Very decent sound and battery lasts a stupidly long time between charges. If you're into bass, they can rattle your skull, but you can turn it down as well, if you like (there's a dedicated bass slider). I use them a lot for watching movies, because it almost gives you that theatre-style rumble effect. Overall, they're very comfortable as well. I use them on video conferences for work, and haven't had any complaints, so the mics are decent enough, I guess. Build quality is excellent.

In the U.S. they're going for $150 right now for Black Friday (Amazon, Best Buy, Target, probably other places, or you should at least be able to price match elsewhere).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Compressed dynamics, crunchy treble response, warbling artifacts, lossy audio codecs. Just a few words to describe this format. Nobody's taking Bluetooth seriously until the new AptX Lossless codec releases (which likely won't be supported on any current-gen cans) and some decent prospects arise. LDAC is nice, but unless both your playback device and you cans support it, you're screwed. Plus it normally doesn't start to make an appearance until the ~$300 pricepoint.

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

Sennheiser HD 560S

@DankDoodlesthese are good suggestions if you are looking for open back headphones. If you are planning to use them places with other people around and you don't want to bother them too much and also have some more isolation from the outside world the BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro is also a solid alternative. Personally I'd go for the 80ohm variant as I have found that it can be driven fairly well by most devices.

The difference between a closed back and open back headset besides isolation is the soundstage where generally speaking open back headphones are a bit more "natural" and closed back have a slight boost in bass and place the sound somewhat closer to you. There is a bit more to it but if you google there are a ton of articles explaining it in a bit more detail. 

For me personally I go for closed back headphones simply because of the isolation factors as to not disturb others in my household and also so I don't get disturbed as easily 😄 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

23 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

From what I interpreted, you have already had a microphone and now you just want a headphone to hear things?

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

7 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

Update: I ended up getting the Sony WH-1000XM4 since they were on sale.

Since you bought a bluetooth headset and mentioned discord, do note that while it will work through bluetooth your audio quality will be really bad as using the microphone and headphone at the same time uses a different bluetooth profile. Also bluetooth comes with a delay so it will be less suited for gaming. 

If you want to use it while having a somewhat better audio experience on discord your best bet is to go into your discord settings and select the stereo profile for audio output and a separate microphone for your input (so not the bluetooth one). 

Of course none of the above applies if you don't use it as a bluetooth headset and plug it in with the 3.5mm cable. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.