Good CPU for my Parents.

Borgus Bohr

Budget (including currency): What is needed

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Web Browsing, Word, Excel, Entertainment.

Looking for ideas for a realistically good CPU for my parents. Usual work is simple... Word/Excel, web browsing, Youtube, Spotify (no games). Would a 2 core Intel Pentium CPU (Pentium Gold G5500) would be good enough? Good enough for CPU and GPU? I'm just trying not to go overkill on this build, trying to build small and silent. Budget is not really an isue, just trying to build a perfect PC for them and their use case. 🙂 

They curently run a 4 core cpu from Intel, from 2006. Still, they say it's quick enough but I think a small upgrade could help.

Thanks!

B

Hey, that's awesome you're building your parents a PC. Am not too familiar with the Intel Pentium but if it's 2 cores I'd stay away. How about the Ryzen 5 5600G? It's not super expensive and has decent enough graphics if you're not someone who plays the latest games. 

Maybe something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sssd3Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($239.00 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($50.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($83.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($46.49 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($35.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $565.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-16 21:40 EST-0500

Black Friday's coming so you might find better deals 🙂 

Edited by DCCFan
PCPP

honestly, anything newer than 2015, at least 2c/4t (preferably something with a decent igpu so the ryzen ones)

12gb ram (its an odd number but I find that 8 is too small and 16 is kinda overkill so 12gb if you do 8+4gb sticks)

128gb ssd

wifi 5

thats pretty much all they need imo

honestly some of those NUCs are a decent option to make it small and easy (i think there are intel and amd options available)

As it is right now, anything. Sandy bridge dual cores with 4 threads still do all that well. 
I know there's a newer i3 right now thats less than 100$ with 4 cores 8 threads. I'd go for whatever your budget can get. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Im guessing that 4 core cpu you are talking about is a q6600, in that case just bsel to 333fsb aka 3ghz (tons of tutorials on yt) which should yeild a noticable performance increase

When you get down to it the cpu is actually a small portion of the system cost. Case, PSU, storage, and memory are relatively fixed. So the difference between a 2 and 4 core system is about $50. 

Something along the lines of the following would be my suggestion. It is more power than strictly needed, but not really overkill.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10105 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler  ($39.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI H510I PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($88.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $609.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-16 22:08 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

49 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

but if it's 2 cores I'd stay away

Apparently you think that Excel runs on Vulkan.

Anyway to OP: Besides custom build that @brob recommends, i highly recommend looking around for clearance prebuilts for last gen, as theyre also a good place to find deals in this month.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Apparently you think that Excel runs on Vulkan.

ROFL. We've got a feisty one.

You can recommend 2 core CPUs all you want,  it's just not the best idea if they're going to build something from scratch in 2022. 

tl;dr: the G5500 is fine, though I'd probably get into a 12th Gen i3 if you can wait until it comes out since the P/E is really designed for office tasks and it's a newer more secure platform.

Since I'm doing the math on this myself for a bunch of PCs for various family members and in-laws, the important thing isn't the current specs, but how long you want this to last.  Sandy Bridge has more than enough raw power, but given how many vulns it doesn't protect you against compared to newer CPUs, you're going to end up replacing it soon.  The newer the platform with the better long term support, the better off you'll be for office tasks.

Here's the rubrick I came up with to decide if a desktop system would work (obviously, slightly different for mobile)

1. Does this platform support Windows 11? (the Pentium G5500 does)
  2. Will the motherboard board receive updates for at least 2-3 more years?
  3. Does the board/CPU support VBS?
  4. Does the board support at least 16-32 GB of RAM?
  5. Will the board accept a GPU in the future for multi-monitor or improved raster rates?

My reasoning: Windows 10 has 4-5 more years left on it tops, think about Windows 11 support now - and honestly it's way better for productivity anyway.  VBS is super important for security on a web browsing machine, 16 GB of RAM is pretty much the minimum for heavy productivity machines nowadays, it's really easy to fill that with what's on your program list.  It doesn't need to come with more than 8 GB now, but it needs to handle 16+ GB.

Lastly and perhaps most controversially, the GPU slot.  I've been doing this for a long time, and adding a Quadro P400 ($150 new) will offload so much of the 2D raster that it's like adding more CPU cores and RAM to your system.  The difference is office tasks is a lot more than most people would think, especially if the user will end up with 15-20 windows open.  Surprisingly, from a user perspective, a dual core with discrete GPU is going to feel faster than an eight core with integrated GPU because the user isn't ever waiting on the display to raster.

I figure a system like that will have 5-8 years of life before it needs a replacement, though my crystal ball is broken. 🙂

4 hours ago, jec6613 said:

...Sandy Bridge has more than enough raw power, but given how many vulns it doesn't protect you against compared to newer CPUs...

It seems to me that for a single home system the existing cpu vulnerabilities are of no matter.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

23 minutes ago, brob said:

It seems to me that for a single home system the existing cpu vulnerabilities are of no matter.

Sorry, I thought this was clearer

given how many vulns it doesn't protect you against compared to newer CPUs

CPU vulns I'd agree with, but modern CPUs have much more than spectre/meltdown/rowhammer and the ilk going on.

fTPM, VBS, SecureBoot and other code signing, and all sorts of other things that help the OS be higher security.  Every few generations the hardware gets more features to make the software more secure.

damn why are there so many mentors in this thread?

didnt expect so many considering proficient is already top 1%

17 hours ago, Borgus Bohr said:

Budget (including currency): What is needed

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Web Browsing, Word, Excel, Entertainment.

Looking for ideas for a realistically good CPU for my parents. Usual work is simple... Word/Excel, web browsing, Youtube, Spotify (no games). Would a 2 core Intel Pentium CPU (Pentium Gold G5500) would be good enough? Good enough for CPU and GPU? I'm just trying not to go overkill on this build, trying to build small and silent. Budget is not really an isue, just trying to build a perfect PC for them and their use case. 🙂 

They curently run a 4 core cpu from Intel, from 2006. Still, they say it's quick enough but I think a small upgrade could help.

Thanks!

B

You can buy a 6th gen or 7th gen refurb HP / Lenovo business desktop with 8GB-16GB RAM and an SSD on ebay for 125ish.

It won't win any awards?  But for daily web driving and the related, you can't beat it.  (Just stay away from U / T series chips, they're TERRIBLE)

36 minutes ago, tkitch said:

You can buy a 6th gen or 7th gen refurb HP / Lenovo business desktop with 8GB-16GB RAM and an SSD on ebay for 125ish.

It won't win any awards?  But for daily web driving and the related, you can't beat it.  (Just stay away from U / T series chips, they're TERRIBLE)

If OP can stretch to 8th gen, then Windows 11 support comes with it and so this can last longer than the 5 year Windows 10 sunset.  And at 11th gen, VBS comes in which provides so much security that Intel recommends enabling it for 12th gen reviews knowing it'll hurt performance.