CPU running under 1GHz, doesn't increase in games

pRxda

CPU - i7-4790K

As per the title, I was having this issue with my CPU speeds plus my CPU temperatures were generally very high, going above 90 degrees. I asked for advice and the general consensus was that my AIO was dead, considering it was 7 years old it made sense. So I bought a new AIO - Corsair H100x, and intalled it today, temperatures are now 40/50 degrees so big improvement, however my CPU speeds are still not going up in games. When I try to play CSGO I get around 20 - 50 fps as opposed to the 300+ I was getting before I had the temperature issue.

I have no idea why my CPU isn't being utilised so I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Did you plug it into the right header on the mainboard? Maybe the board doesn't recognize a CPU fan or any cooling for the CPU in general and throttles it to protect it.

do you see any warning messages on the bios when you turn the computer on?

if you install the corsair software, does the cooler get detected (I dont know if the software exists for this specific cooler, im just guessing)

what GPU?

did you put thermal paste?

did you make sure you take off the plastic sticker/cover on the cooler?

Is it running 800mhz? That means it's thermal or power throttling. 

Check the BIOS for a setting related to CPU temps. Set that to 105. If you can't find it try clearing CMOS.

Edited by Pixelfie

25 minutes ago, TheBean said:

do you see any warning messages on the bios when you turn the computer on?

if you install the corsair software, does the cooler get detected (I dont know if the software exists for this specific cooler, im just guessing)

what GPU?

did you put thermal paste?

did you make sure you take off the plastic sticker/cover on the cooler?

Didn't see any warning messages, and I can't see any software which correlates to this cooler.

The cooler came with thermal paste already applied so I didn't put extra on, that's what was advised when I looked into it as well.

No plastic remaining on the cooler, it seems to be working just fine, temps are 30-40 degrees less than they were prior to installing it, but for some reason it's the CPU not functioning now.

20 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Check the BIOS for a setting related to CPU temps. Set that to 105. If you can't find it try clearing CMOS.

Yea I agree with this. if it is running at 800mhz then something is wrong with the cooler. even if the temps are fine, maybe the mobo is unable to detect the cooler so its lowering the clock speed to be safe. 

you can also install Intel XTU which can give you more information. it can tell you why the performance is being throttled. 

you can also try resetting the bios to make sure nothing is wrong there and make sure XMP/DOCP is enabled after resetting the bios

13 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

It does settle at .78GHz quite often then jumps to just above 1. I'll check the bios to see if I can find that setting.

16 minutes ago, TheBean said:

Yea I agree with this. if it is running at 800mhz then something is wrong with the cooler. even if the temps are fine, maybe the mobo is unable to detect the cooler so its lowering the clock speed to be safe. 

you can also install Intel XTU which can give you more information. it can tell you why the performance is being throttled. 

you can also try resetting the bios to make sure nothing is wrong there and make sure XMP/DOCP is enabled after resetting the bios

I tried to install Intel XTU however I got an error stating that I was trying to install on an unsuported system. XMP is currently enabled, my motherboard has a reset button on it so I can try seeing if resetting CMOS does anything.