Are Apple AirPods Max worth it?

GetDonuts

So i currently have the Sony WH-1000XM3s and have had them for about 2 years.

one day i checked out the apple airpod max' because there was a small sale on those, it got me wondering its about 100-150€ more expensive than what i bought my sonys for but if i find a good deal on the apple airpod maxes would they be more worth than the current sonys im using? i have an iphone but i would mainly use them on my PC which isnt an apple product, would i still benefit 100% even if im not using an apple PC? i do listen to music very often especially if i go outside so i would be mainly getting the airpod maxes for music listening.

No. MKBHD put it succinctly when he called them "luxury listening". You can only squeeze so much out of Bluetooth, there is diminishing returns when getting Airpod Max. I would just get XM4's if you want to upgrade.

6 minutes ago, InadequateComputerUser said:

No. MKBHD put it succinctly when he called them "luxury listening". You can only squeeze so much out of Bluetooth, there is diminishing returns when getting Airpod Max. I would just get XM4's if you want to upgrade.

From what i remember XM4s were just "small upgrades" as in im not spending 300€ to buy XM4s when theyre only a bit more comfortable and the ANC is a bit more better. there was no massive breakthrough with the audio quality etc

7 minutes ago, GetDonuts said:

From what i remember XM4s were just "small upgrades" as in im not spending 300€ to buy XM4s when theyre only a bit more comfortable and the ANC is a bit more better. there was no massive breakthrough with the audio quality etc

Yes, so I don't understand why you're looking to upgrade your headphones. They're pretty good already for Bluetooth headsets. If you're looking to drop money on headphones look at wired.

Upgrading every 2 year is a fallacy perpetuated by the mobile industry.

25 minutes ago, GetDonuts said:

one day i checked out the apple airpod max' because there was a small sale on those, it got me wondering its about 100-150€ more expensive than what i bought my sonys for but if i find a good deal on the apple airpod maxes would they be more worth than the current sonys im using? i have an iphone but i would mainly use them on my PC which isnt an apple product, would i still benefit 100% even if im not using an apple PC? i do listen to music very often especially if i go outside so i would be mainly getting the airpod maxes for music listening.

If you can afford it and want the best noise cancelling out there bundled with the one of the best sounding Bluetooth headphones you can buy, then yes, it could be worth it to you. For the majority of people, maybe not. Really depends on how much you value that sort of experience compared to your financial situation.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i would get air pods pro but the skullcandy crusher evo's are FUN, they can and will satisfy any bass lover. they also like the rest of the crusher line up have a bass slider which controls there haptic drivers and adds more to the fun.

10 minutes ago, InadequateComputerUser said:

Yes, so I don't understand why you're looking to upgrade your headphones. They're pretty good already for Bluetooth headsets. If you're looking to drop money on headphones look at wired.

Upgrading every 2 year is a fallacy perpetuated by the mobile industry.

Wired isnt for me as i hate wires and want bluetooth, and well if the airpod max are only 5-10% better then yeah im not looking to upgrade but if the difference is like 25%+ then i might consider as black friday is coming up and i might snag them for a good price.

1 minute ago, GetDonuts said:

Wired isnt for me as i hate wires and want bluetooth, and well if the airpod max are only 5-10% better then yeah im not looking to upgrade but if the difference is like 25%+ then i might consider as black friday is coming up and i might snag them for a good price.

Not worth it, they're over priced.

14 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If you can afford it and want the best noise cancelling out there bundled with the one of the best sounding Bluetooth headphones you can buy, then yes, it could be worth it to you. For the majority of people, maybe not. Really depends on how much you value that sort of experience compared to your financial situation.  

Well im getting a nice bonus this month so i could easily snag the airpod max' from a good black friday sale (i could also sell my sonys which gives me minimum 100€) so getting them is not really a problem more so if theyre that much better than the sony

I think you ought to research a little more, knowing Apple and their wall-garden ecosystem approach, I'm willing to bet that some functionalities of the Airpod Max would NOT work in Android and Windows environment. IF you're already locked into their wall-garden ecosystem, by all means, get the Airpod Max. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Wired will always be and stay superior to wireless. I do understand wired can be a bit of a problem sometimes.

And simple answer: No. None of any headphones and earphones should be nerfed because you're not using the locked ecosystem approach.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 11/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, GetDonuts said:

Based on these 2 things, you clearly just have money to fritter away.  Unless your 1000XM's are broken, you are wasting money; especially looking at Apple.