Hate Windows 11? Try this.

And you wonder why old-school die-hards like me are still happily on Windows 7 LOL How could I possibly say nice things or even be compelled to take 11 for a test drive when 8/8.1 already tasted like a turd sandwich.

I will say this though, Stardock is worth that 5 bucks. I remember trying it on a Win 8 system back in the day and while it didn't do "everything" it did take the learning curve out of the new UI, made me more productive with the thing sooner and felt more like the Windows 7 experience that was the norm. The fact that Stardock is still around means they still care, so support won't be vanishing any time soon. But it also highlights the problems Stardock are (still) trying to fix and the issues Windows users have - that should be a wake up call to Microsoft! Unfortunately in my case, broken audio drivers relegated me to Windows 7, something that I am still rocking today on both my desktop and laptop.

And no, I don't have any issues whatsoever using Windows 7. MS will religiously push their Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - like that even does a damn thing besides feed MS their telemetry. All my software runs and works fine, all the games I have run and work fine and my audio software that I use stays functional too. I have no issues with hardware drivers and nothing is "broken". Granted I'm not using the latest hardware that require the latest drivers that are only on the latest OS - but that aside I am fully invested in Windows 7 at this point and I'm not worried about my ship sinking any time soon.

The bigger issue going down the line and the real elephant in the room here will be not compatibility and support, but rather the cost burden. There is a fundamental flaw when you have paid for software or license in full once already, only to then get forced into a monthly or annual subscription model to keep using what you already have. That's a low blow in my book, and milking existing customers like that isn't going to fare well. And it's exacerbated every time a new OS releases because newer drivers/features will break earlier software/compatibility. We've seen it already with Adobe, Office and the guys that run TeamViewer. How much longer this continues and how much tighter they continue the squeeze will be something to keep an eye on.

how did I not know about  start all back sooner? this is the start of a beutiful relationship.

I'll see myself out now

3 hours ago, Luscious said:

And you wonder why old-school die-hards like me are still happily on Windows 7 LOL How could I possibly say nice things or even be compelled to take 11 for a test drive when 8/8.1 already tasted like a turd sandwich.

I will say this though, Stardock is worth that 5 bucks. I remember trying it on a Win 8 system back in the day and while it didn't do "everything" it did take the learning curve out of the new UI, made me more productive with the thing sooner and felt more like the Windows 7 experience that was the norm. The fact that Stardock is still around means they still care, so support won't be vanishing any time soon. But it also highlights the problems Stardock are (still) trying to fix and the issues Windows users have - that should be a wake up call to Microsoft! Unfortunately in my case, broken audio drivers relegated me to Windows 7, something that I am still rocking today on both my desktop and laptop.

And no, I don't have any issues whatsoever using Windows 7. MS will religiously push their Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - like that even does a damn thing besides feed MS their telemetry. All my software runs and works fine, all the games I have run and work fine and my audio software that I use stays functional too. I have no issues with hardware drivers and nothing is "broken". Granted I'm not using the latest hardware that require the latest drivers that are only on the latest OS - but that aside I am fully invested in Windows 7 at this point and I'm not worried about my ship sinking any time soon.

The bigger issue going down the line and the real elephant in the room here will be not compatibility and support, but rather the cost burden. There is a fundamental flaw when you have paid for software or license in full once already, only to then get forced into a monthly or annual subscription model to keep using what you already have. That's a low blow in my book, and milking existing customers like that isn't going to fare well. And it's exacerbated every time a new OS releases because newer drivers/features will break earlier software/compatibility. We've seen it already with Adobe, Office and the guys that run TeamViewer. How much longer this continues and how much tighter they continue the squeeze will be something to keep an eye on.

How on earth did you find drivers for hardware? and do you run into problems for gaming?

Ok I just got impressed with start all. the mouse menu? I'm not a power user. Windows just doesn't do unrar or unzip natively for some reason. That is you need an app or two. Speaking of!

If anyone needs something sane to unzip or unrar just about anything: https://peazip.github.io/ is wickedly awesome!!

It does fail on the odd file so: https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

Fills the gap fantastically IMO.

9 hours ago, emosun said:

Hate windows 11? Just dont use it.

Its not like microsoft is going to force users to download it , then use their machines to seed it to other users , then use shady tatics to install the os without the users permission...... oh wait

lol 😂  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Welcome to the 80s how much hairgell and how big, poofy and bright do you want your clothing?

For any mods or people that do feedback sending things: Please keep these types overhaul videos coming!! 

Twinkle Tray is spitting constant JAvascript errors, and hasnt been updated since like may.

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you have to go through great trouble to "fix" an OS, then perhaps the OS sucks by default, and shouldn't be used?

Yeah, crazy I know.

My experience with pop os. I'm a hair's width away from giving up on it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

Why are they forcing Edge on us then? Is that also a result of lacking feedback? I don't think that MS will use telemetry data to create a better experience for us. If they wanted that, they could have done it in other ways too. 

Telemetry ain't about jack for improving anything, it's about gathering data on the user as in Spyware.
That's one of the big reasons why MS wants to force an MS account on everyone from the gaming console (Xbox) to the desktop and further if they can.
This way they can keep up with about everything you do by tying these devices together to the same person for creating a profile that's constantly updated.

Whenever you say MS, FB or Google it's just all the same fish in the same barrel.

6 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

or... I can get a custom version of windows 11 that says fuck microsoft 🙂

I dunno - Maybe someone can "Fix" the telemetry (Spyware) parts of it to send back "Fuck Microsoft" everytime it does instead of any info on the subject machine.
If they have a monitor for seeing what their spyware telemetry sends back I can see it filling up with lines and lines and lines and lines of "Fuck Microsoft!" FAST.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Honestly I'm a little bit surprised by the non-inclusion of "This is Windows 11" which includes many  of the fixes that anthony went over in the video. It especially confused me when it was mentioned that there weren't any free tools that included everything, which I feel "This is Windows 11" encompasses.

TiW11 is also completely opensource, which i think is worthwhile.

https://github.com/builtbybel/ThisIsWin11

CraftComputing has a video on TiW11 which goes through several things touched on in this video as well as some things like Actually making a local user account in a new W11 install.

1 hour ago, Kazlehoff said:

Twinkle Tray is spitting constant JAvascript errors, and hasnt been updated since like may.

Samething here!

Ok, I have finally watch the video. Here is my takeaway:

That's a whole lot of extra add-ons that *could* introduce security issues.

And frankly, if you have to use that many third party add-ons to make Win11 functional again, then the whole OS can easily be dismissed as a non-starter (no pun intended)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

*could* introduce security issues.

If you running a modern default 'official' Windows OS ,,and think 'add-ons' are the biggest security concern, ur looking in the wrong place.

The OS itself is already a big security issue with the amount of telemetry its sending back to MS.

Unless ofc you believe MS is a trustworthy guardian of your data. lol

Why do you think versions like LTSC, that exist for use in systems that need to be secure with no/limit networking to MS servers, are 'coincidentally' versions that are extremely hard for a normal consumer to legitimately purchase.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@GabenJr i personally don't have much problems with Windows 11 only some performance issues with ryzen and the system locks up but that could just be me, however, the issue i have mostly with the UI is the taskbar for example you have to go in the regedit to make it small but when you do that i can't remove the icon "ENG US", and i can't figure out removing the date which ruins the taskbar

20 hours ago, Gork said:

How on earth did you find drivers for hardware? and do you run into problems for gaming?

1. The system I built is a pretty massive haul from late 2014 and early 2015 so the bulk of the drivers are from when Windows 7 was still being supported by the hardware sold (mobo, GPU, etc...) Since I still rock the same gear and haven't replaced or upgraded the hardware the drivers have stayed pretty much the same as well. Most likely whatever I do have set up and installed is the last compatible Windows 7 stuff out there, or up until the point Windows update was still pushing stuff regularly.

2. Gaming is a blast. Most of my titles are older ones and I have moved away from FPS somewhat. I do make it a habit to check the system requirements for a game on Steam before a purchase just to make sure I meet the minimum, but have yet to run into any issue. nVidia's drivers do still cover me for a 1080Ti and newer so I can upgrade the graphics cards in my rig, which I absolutely cannot do thanks to the current situation 🤬🤬🤬. Gosh I miss the days of fragging in Far Cry, HL2 and Doom 3 - that's the golden age of PC gaming for me.

10 hours ago, SolarNova said:

If you running a modern default 'official' Windows OS ,,and think 'add-ons' are the biggest security concern, ur looking in the wrong place.

The OS itself is already a big security issue with the amount of telemetry its sending back to MS.

Unless ofc you believe MS is a trustworthy guardian of your data. lol

Why do you think versions like LTSC, that exist for use in systems that need to be secure with no/limit networking to MS servers, are 'coincidentally' versions that are extremely hard for a normal consumer to legitimately purchase.

You missed my point. I'm well aware of the huge security issues present in the default setup of Win10/11 (which is why I flatly refuse to use it) and the existence of LTSC (which is in use at work) I was pointing out that those add-ons could introduce *additional* issues, as they were not vetted etc.

Not saying they are of course, just it's a potential vector for issues, it wouldn't be the first time github had been compromised...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, emosun said:

Hate windows 11? Just dont use it.

Its not like microsoft is going to force users to download it , then use their machines to seed it to other users , then use shady tatics to install the os without the users permission...... oh wait

For gamers (like me) they'll probably pull off the standard "what the latest DirectX functionalities? Then you better updateeeee!" bullshit.

I honestly think my only hope is for the SteamDeck, and by extension SteamOS 3.0, to be a knockout hit and get proper support.

Anthony's dad may truly become the saviour of PC gaming... because MS keeps trying to screw users up.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I'm stickin to 10 till the day I die. I definitely understand the win7 hardliners now.

🎶He's making a list, he's checking it twice🎶

🎶He's going to find out who updated or not...🎶

image.png.376841f6bf6454026bf13e385550fa4d.png

sorry not sorry

Somehow i feel like i'm the only person that doesn't have any problems on W11, not even performance issues with my 5600X. Could be because i played fps capped games for the last few months and only started to play uncapped games now that everything has been fixed.

But i enjoy the fresh UI and especially the feature that you can shut down your computer without installing updates if you really can't be bothered right now. The smoother UI animations help to make the system feel more responsive. This effect is even greater when using a high refresh rate monitor.

Auto-HDR still is a mixed bag and the results vary heavily depending on the game. Some games look great, others are just overbrightened to meet the monitor's maximum brightness (in my case 1100nits, so these games just look terrible).

I get that forcing Edge to everyone is a bad thing, but i've been using Edge either way since it's chromium re-release. It's one of the best browsers out there with lots of privacy options and impressive speed. Add good memory management and you have an objectively good browser.

I have not had any performance or stability issues. Not even when using the dev channel beta before it was publicly released. I'm still of the opinion that most of these issues are likely solved when doing a clean install, not upgrading from W10 and calling it a day.

Once native android app support is there, i really think that W11 offers some nice features and reasons to upgrade.

I'm not trying to deny that there are problems, because there are. But for me personally the experience has genuinely been amazing so far and i will keep using W11 for the forseeable future.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Rauten said:

For gamers (like me) they'll probably pull off the standard "what the latest DirectX functionalities? Then you better updateeeee!" bullshit.

I honestly think my only hope is for the SteamDeck, and by extension SteamOS 3.0, to be a knockout hit and get proper support.

Anthony's dad may truly become the saviour of PC gaming... because MS keeps trying to screw users up.

🎶He's making a list, he's checking it twice🎶

🎶He's going to find out who updated or not...🎶

image.png.376841f6bf6454026bf13e385550fa4d.png

sorry not sorry

I'm going to kick you so hard you go back in time to when Clippy was an innovation

/s (mostly)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, GabenJr said:

@GabenJr, in the video you mentioned AltDrag being a bit outdated these days. Yes, it is. However it has a shiny new and maintained (!) replacement called AltSnap, which started as a fork of AltDrag and has recently been renamed. The maintainer is responsive, he even fixed an error reported by me. You can find the software here:

https://github.com/RamonUnch/AltSnap

Enjoy our alternative dragging and snapping ways 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I registered to LTT forum just to post this message after lurking for endless years.

Windows 11 on itself is not the problem. Lack of clear vision for the future development of Windows is. Microsoft has no clear vision on how they want to proceed with Windows and they are like leaf falling during a strong wind. From an outside observer, they seem as if they are flying or floating but really they are falling albeit in slow and long fall.

Windows 11 brings nothing new to the table when it comes to design and has become the 1st Windows OS that I didn't upgrade to on my first availability (and I have been using Windows since 3.14 and even liked Windows ME).

Microsoft needs to realize that it needs a clear vision. Rest is just words and waste of time.