Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5

Lightwreather

Summary

Fail0verflow announcement suggests a private exploit to expose system's secure kernel.

Quotes

Hacking group Fail0verflow announced Sunday evening that it had obtained the encryption "root keys" for the PlayStation 5, an important first step in any effort to unlock the system and allow users to run homebrew software.

The tweeted announcement includes an image of what appears to be the PS5's decrypted firmware files, highlighting code that references the system's "secure loader." Analyzing that decrypted firmware could let Fail0verflow (or other hackers) reverse engineer the code and create custom firmware with the ability to load homebrew PS5 software (signed by those same symmetric keys to get the PS5 to recognize them as authentic).

Extracting the PS5's system software and installing a replacement both require some sort of exploit that provides read and/or write access to the PS5's usually secure kernel. Fail0verflow's post does not detail the exploit the group used, but the tweet says the keys were "obtained from software," suggesting the keys didn't need to make any modifications to the hardware itself.

Separately this weekend, well-known PlayStation hacker theFlow0 tweeted a screenshot showing a "Debug Settings" option amid the usual list of PS5 settings. As console-hacking news site Wololo explains, this debug setting was previously only seen on development hardware, where the GUI looks significantly different. But TheFlow0's tweet appears to come from the built-in sharing function of a retail PS5, suggesting he has also used an exploit to enable the internal flags that unlock the mode on standard consumer hardware.

TheFlow0 adds that he has "no plans for disclosure" of his PS5 exploit at this point. In recent years, TheFlow0 has taken part in Sony bug-bounty programs that reward the responsible disclosure of security flaws in PlayStation hardware.

My thoughts

Okay, so this happened. Honestly I'm not really that much into crpytography and/or hacking, so I don't think I'll be able to give much of an explanation of how this could've happened. However, this seems to be good news for modders and homebrewers (and to an extent pirates as well). Now, something similar happened with the PS3, so I'm pretty sure Sony might sue this group and release a firmware update to patch this. So, if you want to use this exploit, you'd better unplug your PS5 (if you managed to find one) from the interwebs.

Sources

ArsTechnica

Fail0verflow - Twitter

theFlow0 - Twitter

Wololo

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

^^ Shes not wrong. 

I'm more surprised its taken a year since launch for this to have happened. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Remember how fast the Nintendo Wii received it's root access?

I'm still waiting for a "legal" way (meaning not using illegal chips) to hack a switch lite lol

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

the real challenge will be finding a ps5 to try it on lol

You can't even find PS5s in stores these days.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

To be noted, these are TWO DIFFERENT exploits that both can individually blow the PS5 wide open. Hopefully, we'll see a PS5 linux port soon.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Insert "Pause champ" here

If one could run linux on it, it might become a really cool option, as there is no way to get that much perf at those prices.

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I'm more surprised its taken a year since launch for this to have happened. 

thats how long it took before failoverflow got a real ps5 and not just the box filled with sand

On 11/9/2021 at 5:47 AM, rcmaehl said:

To be noted, these are TWO DIFFERENT exploits that both can individually blow the PS5 wide open. Hopefully, we'll see a PS5 linux port soon.

We're going to see a story, in the next 24 months where some crappy cryptominer runs on the ps5 gpu, and buys up all the PS5's in the country.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

We're going to see a story, in the next 24 months where some crappy cryptominer runs on the ps5 gpu, and buys up all the PS5's in the country.

I think that's already happened right?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

I think that's already happened right?

Those were PS4's and it was FIFA bots playing to get rare drops in free lootbox cruft as I remember it.

Ultimately game machines should be used for gaming during their active shelf life, and if their post-shelf life allows them to be repurposed instead of landfilled, that is OK with me. That's how we got XBMC (Kodi) in the first place, because of that short-lived original Xbox which was little more than a Pentium III.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, EDK Tech said:

Remember how fast the Nintendo Wii received it's root access?

I'm still waiting for a "legal" way (meaning not using illegal chips) to hack a switch lite lol

That was mainly through the gamecube bc, which had access to less resources(no wireless, less memory etc). The entire wii mode pwning was helped sugnificantly by recontructing the memory dump of the gamecube bc and came quite a bit later.