Laptop makes clicking noises then it lags (clicking noise stops after the lag ends)

Nytrite
Go to solution Solved by Anghammarad,

yes backup your data ASAP and get a replacement for your harddisk. (the HGST)

When drives start clicking like that, they are near death usually.

cheers

Ang

My laptop is roughly 4 years old (maybe more, I can't exactly recall) and recently it's been having moments where the screen freezes/lags with an accompanying clicking noise. I haven't been able to clean the internal hardware since mid-2019 as I left my laptop tools at my dorm back in my University. Any suggestions on what I should do and how should I perform a back-up (just in case I'll need to change my HDD)?

Specs and pertinent information:

• MSI GE62VR 7RF (laptop)
  • Windows 10 64-bit (pre-installed)
  • Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
  • BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., E16JBIMS.30F (6/13/2017)
  • 16GB RAM (Kingston, according to Intel Tuning Utility System Info)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (4 GB RAM)
  • HGST HTS721010A9E630 1TB (HDD)
  • Samsung MZNLN256HMHQ-00000 250GB (SSD)
  • I've gotten three BSODs on separate occassions during those 4 years, the latest one was around September of this year. They usually reboot just fine so I didn't pay it no mind. Let me know if I should still attach dump files.
  • I also forgot if I underclocked/overclocked my laptop (I'm pretty sure I underclocked since my laptop easily overheats)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you 🙂

cheers

Ang

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

cheers

Ang

I keep seeing that I need applications to back up my Windows and such, could you maybe point me to where I can find useful guides regarding this?

3 minutes ago, Nytrite said:

I keep seeing that I need applications to back up my Windows and such, could you maybe point me to where I can find useful guides regarding this?

Programs help if you want to make regular automated backups. For a one-time operation like this, it isn't really needed.

Just attach some external USB drive, then copy your data onto it. Copy the most important/irreplaceable stuff first. The more you use a failing drive, the higher the chance it'll go. Programs and Windows can always be reinstalled.

Worry about an automated backup system after you've made sure your current data isn't lost when the drive ultimately fails.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Programs help if you want to make regular automated backups. For a one-time operation like this, it isn't really needed.

Just attach some external USB drive, then copy your data onto it. Copy the most important/irreplaceable stuff first. The more you use a failing drive, the higher the chance it'll go. Programs and Windows can always be reinstalled.

Worry about an automated backup system after you've made sure your current data isn't lost when the drive ultimately fails.

Got it, I'm doing it as we speak. I'll just try and ask again once everything's done. Thank you so much!!

I had a drive go clicky in my old laptop and it lasted about another 6 months before I had it crash and it reported 100% bad sectors. I was able to get some data off of it, but not a full drive copy. Would def suggest looking into a new drive, potentially solid state. 

Side note: upon a complete format of said drive, it did stop clicking and showed full drive health, so that was strange.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I had a drive go clicky in my old laptop and it lasted about another 6 months before I had it crash and it reported 100% bad sectors. I was able to get some data off of it, but not a full drive copy. Would def suggest looking into a new drive, potentially solid state. 

Side note: upon a complete format of said drive, it did stop clicking and showed full drive health, so that was strange.

Is there a way for me to check what hard drives are compatible with my laptop? It's currently HDD, how can I check if I can replace it with SSD (or is that given)?

1 minute ago, Nytrite said:

Is there a way for me to check what hard drives are compatible with my laptop? It's currently HDD, how can I check if I can replace it with SSD (or is that given)?

Pretty much a given. If you have a SATA HDD, you can replace it with a SATA SSD.

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Pretty much a given. If you have a SATA HDD, you can replace it with a SATA SSD.

Gots it, thanks a bunch!!

47 minutes ago, Nytrite said:

if it is sata, which it usually is, then you can replace it with a SSD. Most SSDs and laptop HDDs are 2.5inch, so they will fit right in, you might need to transfer a bracket if the hdd has one on it.

Just now, Latvian Video said:

if it is sata, which it usually is, then you can replace it with a SSD. Most SSDs and laptop HDDs are 2.5inch, so they will fit right in, you might need to transfer a bracket if the hdd has one on it.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the response 🙂

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Hello, I'm done backing up the necessary files. If you don't mind me asking, how should I proceed with backing up my OS (pre-installed btw) and the like?

Usually the OS should reside on the SSD, which isn't failing, or at least not "clicking" .

What I can't tell you is, if the bootloader is on the failing SATA Drive. 

What I can hint to, try to get a crucial sata SSD the same size as your failing disc, Crucial always has a key for a version of Acronis. 

Grab a USB to SATA adapter or case, put in the new SSD, install acronis and try to clone the failing disc onto the new ssd using Acronis Cloning tool. When this goes through without errors, shut down the laptop, remove the old HDD and put in the new SSD instead. 

This is what I have been doing in those cases. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

15 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Usually the OS should reside on the SSD, which isn't failing, or at least not "clicking" .

What I can't tell you is, if the bootloader is on the failing SATA Drive. 

What I can hint to, try to get a crucial sata SSD the same size as your failing disc, Crucial always has a key for a version of Acronis. 

Grab a USB to SATA adapter or case, put in the new SSD, install acronis and try to clone the failing disc onto the new ssd using Acronis Cloning tool. When this goes through without errors, shut down the laptop, remove the old HDD and put in the new SSD instead. 

This is what I have been doing in those cases. 

I'll keep this in mind! But I'll try my luck first contacting the reputable computer shop around here since I may lack the necessary tools/equipments you mentioned. Thank you again!

2 hours ago, Nytrite said:

Hello, I'm done backing up the necessary files. If you don't mind me asking, how should I proceed with backing up my OS (pre-installed btw) and the like?

If you want to make a copy (or clone) of the entire disk, you can use something like Acronis True Image (among others). It can also create backups on a schedule.

Alternatively, the cheapest option would be to use the tools included with Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/backup-and-restore-in-windows-352091d2-bb9d-3ea3-ed18-52ef2b88cbef#WindowsVersion=Windows_10. Not quite as flexible/powerful but no extra software needed.

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you want to make a copy (or clone) of the entire disk, you can use something like Acronis True Image (among others). It can also create backups on a schedule.

Alternatively, the cheapest option would be to use the tools included with Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/backup-and-restore-in-windows-352091d2-bb9d-3ea3-ed18-52ef2b88cbef#WindowsVersion=Windows_10. Not quite as flexible/powerful but no extra software needed.

Seems doable enough, thank you again!!

On 11/1/2021 at 10:07 PM, Eigenvektor said:

It seems my OS is already installed in my SSD and not HDD. Do I still need to back it up before I replace my failing HDD? (It says I need 990GB, I don't think I have enough space on my external harddrive for that)

EDIT: Nvm, it's all good now!

Edited by Nytrite