12th gen or AM4? wait for AM5, and stick with B450/B550?

OGKRG

Building a new rig within the next month! Really deciding since we know what the future kind of holds for component. 

Should I -

A. Stick with AM4 and build a budget B450 Ryzen 5 build

B. Intel 12th gen, and hop on the DDR5 train

C. Older Intel setup like 4750, or 4970K?

Those 3 options are all very different in terms of performance and price point. What is the intended use case and what is your current set-up?

D. wait for 12th gen review and decide then

why is C. an option? what are you using the PC for exactly? and what's your budget?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You can also use 12th gen with DDR4 which is probably much cheaper, if you get a board that supports it.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Those 3 options are all very different in terms of performance and price point. What is the intended use case and what is your current set-up?

Use case would be mid range gaming. 1080p 144hz + trying to net 200fps + on APEX, VALORANT, COD, settings would be medium to low across. Probably going to get another RX 570 8gb like I had in my Ryzen rig. You think that GPU is still worth it as a temp card just to get the rig up and running, if so what price should I buy it at? my buddy is selling his. 

Just now, Moonzy said:

D. wait for 12th gen review and decide then

why is C. an option? what are you using the PC for exactly? and what's your budget?

Gaming. I had a 4570 last year in an optiplex build but my 570 8gb was bottlenecked so prob not a good option. Ima wait for 12th gen. It's up for preorder on newegg today so.

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

You can also use 12th gen with DDR4 which is probably much cheaper, if you get a board that supports it.

Yes! I do like that the new Intel boards will support DDR4/DDR5 on the higher end chipsets.

1 minute ago, OGKRG said:

Gaming. I had a 4570 last year in an optiplex build but my 570 8gb was bottlenecked so prob not a good option. Ima wait for 12th gen. It's up for preorder on newegg today so.

for gaming, either 5600x or wait for 12th gen review, we don't know how it performs yet

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Wait for reviews on Alder Lake first once the NDA is lifted and then come back if you still want some advice. We're all waiting to see how Alder Lake performs and if to recommend it to anyone. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

for gaming, either 5600x or wait for 12th gen review, we don't know how it performs yet

Okay for sure! I'll prob get a GPU now and then wait for Alder lake reviews.

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Wait for reviews on Alder Lake first once the NDA is lifted and then come back if you still want some advice. We're all waiting to see how Alder Lake performs and if to recommend it to anyone. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, OGKRG said:

I'd wait for the reviews and verified benchmarks for 12th gen. As Linus pointed out in the video on it today, the Intel comparison numbers are likely exaggerated by the Windows 11 AMD performance bug(s). Those have been corrected now, and I seriously doubt 12th gen Intel was actually beating Zen 3 by those kinds of margins, especially with some of the cores being essentially single threaded 6th gen cores (efficiency). There's IPC uplift, so it probably is going to beat AMD on single core for the time being, but again, not by some crazy amount.

Long and short, bang for buck is still probably going to be 11th gen or Zen 3 for the time being, and you're not going to be missing much, at least in CPU performance. It also remains to be seen how much DDR5 will actually help at the moment. Latency is far worse, for sure, but the sub channels and extra bandwidth may help. Regardless, it's going to be much more expensive than DDR4, so even if you went 12th gen, you'd still probably want DDR4 rather than DDR5 right now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I'd wait for the reviews and verified benchmarks for 12th gen. As Linus pointed out in the video on it today, the Intel comparison numbers are likely exaggerated by the Windows 11 AMD performance bug(s). Those have been corrected now, and I seriously doubt 12th gen Intel was actually beating Zen 3 by those kinds of margins, especially with some of the cores being essentially single threaded 6th gen cores (efficiency). There's IPC uplift, so it probably is going to beat AMD on single core for the time being, but again, not by some crazy amount.

Long and short, bang for buck is still probably going to be 11th gen or Zen 3 for the time being, and you're not going to be missing much, at least in CPU performance. It also remains to be seen how much DDR5 will actually help at the moment. Latency is far worse, for sure, but the sub channels and extra bandwidth may help. Regardless, it's going to be much more expensive than DDR4, so even if you went 12th gen, you'd still probably want DDR4 rather than DDR5 right now.

I like reassurance, and my Ryzen 5 3600 build was beast, a lot of people here know that, my OC's were competitive, and AMD did me well for having a RX 570!

What do you think about an RX 570 8GB budget B450 rig until next years drops? I am fine with that tbh it'll play all the games I need to over 144hz.