DIY dash cam

Mling

So I have a spare intel NUC and a car and I'm thinking can I build a dash cam recorder. I just need a USB camera. What kind of camera should I be looking for? I know my laptop's camera is no good.

11 minutes ago, Mling said:

So I have a spare intel NUC and a car and I'm thinking can I build a dash cam recorder. I just need a USB camera. What kind of camera should I be looking for? I know my laptop's camera is no good.

I think it would use too much power when the car is off, so the battery would die fast. most dash cams have a battery, so it can record moments, when the car is off

1 hour ago, Mling said:

That is going to wreck your battery and then you also first have the issue of having to get to the require output for the adapter, making sure it runs, cooling it because a car cooks on the inside,...

Just don't and get yourself a dashcam. If you don't ahve the money sell the nuc.

Like this is NOT a situation you should use this for and you will literally end up with a product so bad your car may not even start after using it.

I use an old phone as a dash cam. Works great. Just make sure the 12v charger only charges when the key is on. (Lithium batteries + heat + constant charge = bad news). Setup wifi file access and you can manage recordings from your computer when you want to pull something off the cam / phone. 

Honestly a Viofo A119 is so cheap and so good it's probably not worth it to try to DIY.

ASU

On 10/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, MadGoatHaz said:

I use an old phone as a dash cam. Works great. Just make sure the 12v charger only charges when the key is on. (Lithium batteries + heat + constant charge = bad news). Setup wifi file access and you can manage recordings from your computer when you want to pull something off the cam / phone. 

I thought about using a phone but my samsung complains and shutdowns if i leave it in the car during the day. Must be a legacy of the Samsung Note 7 special incendiary edition. If I have a battery im not having it inside the vehicle.