Audio Delay Dolby

StephenHolts

Hi Everyone.

My Setup Below.

I have a PC in my Room connected to TV via HDMI Cable.

Then have an Optical Cable connected from TV to AV Receiver for Audio.

The Problem im having is Windows sees the TV's audio as Stereo and doesn't take into account that the TV is connected to the Receiver that Supports 5.1.

iv managed to use a Program FX Configurator to Force Dolby through HDMI.

The Surround works perfect, except the fact that there is a Slight delay with he audio.

When the Dolby is disabled there is no Delay.

I wanted to know is there anyway to get around this or another program I can use so that I can get surround sound through HDMI o TV and eventually to AV Receiver.

Any Assistance will be appreciated as iv been looking everywhere but cannot seem to find a solution.

I strongly don't recommend using Dolby or DTS to AV receiver on your PC for gaming as it add noticeable delay. There are other alternatives:

1. Easiest option: Connect another HDMI out from your gfx card directly to AV receiver. You can then use 5.1/7.1 PCM which has less delay than Dolby. The issue is needing to deal with another display enabled, so you need to duplicate or extend that second display. It also may introduce new problems like freesync stuttering, so test it around if audio, freesync etc works well. 

There's more options if you don't want second display enabled:

2. If your TV and AV receiver support eARC then connect TV's HDMI output with eARC to AV receiver HDMI out with eARC. 

3. If your TV support eARC but your AV receiver doesn't, then you can get Thenaudio's SHARC eARC Audio Converter device. It cost $188 USD and it seems expensive, but it may be more worth it for multiple devices like PS5 and Xbox Series X.

4. The last, least preferred option is to use multichannel analog output if your PC and your AVR support it. You won't be able to use AVR sound features like Audyssey, at most you could only adjust speaker's individual volume. You could tweak sound by your sound card's software. 

Finally, bonus tips for reducing audio latency: try not to use extra sound features on your AVR. You can also try using 192khz sample rate to reduce latency further.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

38 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

I strongly don't recommend using Dolby or DTS to AV receiver on your PC for gaming as it add noticeable delay. There are other alternatives:

1. Easiest option: Connect another HDMI out from your gfx card directly to AV receiver. You can then use 5.1/7.1 PCM which has less delay than Dolby. The issue is needing to deal with another display enabled, so you need to duplicate or extend that second display. It also may introduce new problems like freesync stuttering, so test it around if audio, freesync etc works well. 

There's more options if you don't want second display enabled:

2. If your TV and AV receiver support eARC then connect TV's HDMI output with eARC to AV receiver HDMI out with eARC. 

3. If your TV support eARC but your AV receiver doesn't, then you can get Thenaudio's SHARC eARC Audio Converter device. It cost $188 USD and it seems expensive, but it may be more worth it for multiple devices like PS5 and Xbox Series X.

4. The last, least preferred option is to use multichannel analog output to AV receiver if your AVR has multi channel analog output. You won't be able to use AVR sound features like Audyssey, at most you could only adjust speaker's individual volume.

Finally, bonus tips for reducing audio latency: try not to use extra sound features on your AVR. You can also try using 192khz sample rate to reduce latency further.

I have tried ARC. Get audio but PC doesnt see surround Sound

9 minutes ago, StephenHolts said:

Okay looks like if i play a dts movie it works. Thanks man. Really appreciate it. Life saver

1 hour ago, StephenHolts said:

There's difference between ARC and eARCARC can only support up to PCM 2.0 and Dolby Digital / DTS, while eARC is a newer feature that can support PCM up to 7.1 and Dolby/DTS lossless format like TrueHD, Atmos etc. 

Are you using your PC for gaming or watching content like movies? 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

7 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

There's difference between ARC and eARCARC can only support up to PCM 2.0 and Dolby Digital / DTS, while eARC is a newer feature that can support PCM up to 7.1 and Dolby/DTS lossless format like TrueHD, Atmos etc. 

Are you using your PC for gaming or watching content like movies? 

Using PC for both. I use the TV for gaming on Controller. And movies 

4 hours ago, StephenHolts said:

Using PC for both. I use the TV for gaming on Controller. And movies 

Ah okay, I guess because you don't have eARC compatible TV it's better to get another HDMI cable from GPU to AVR, that way you can game at 5.1/7.1 channels while also supporting latest sound formats for movies.