Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to get 5ghz 8700k

Hey guys, I have gotten 5ghz on my 8700k before but when I go to power settings and set it to anything other than energy saver, it only boosts to 4.7ghz like a normal processor or to 5ghz 24/7 in performance mode. How do I get it able to boost up to 5ghz but still idledown to its 800MHz idle?

 

8700k

3200 32gb ddr4

ASUS Maximus XI hero wifi

360 AIO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stueck0514 said:

Hey guys, I have gotten 5ghz on my 8700k before but when I go to power settings and set it to anything other than energy saver, it only boosts to 4.7ghz like a normal processor or to 5ghz 24/7 in performance mode. How do I get it able to boost up to 5ghz but still idledown to its 800MHz idle?

 

8700k

3200 32gb ddr4

ASUS Maximus XI hero wifi

360 AIO

It might need a load for it to boost up to 5 GHz. Try downloading HWInfo and see how high the Max gets. A processor that isn't Set to always be at it's Max frequency will stay Idle as long as there is no usage. But as soon as there is a load it'll go as high as needed and as high as possible(and set). Please don't just rely on me since I don't know too much about PC components behaviours and such

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Stueck0514 said:

Hey guys, I have gotten 5ghz on my 8700k before but when I go to power settings and set it to anything other than energy saver, it only boosts to 4.7ghz like a normal processor or to 5ghz 24/7 in performance mode. How do I get it able to boost up to 5ghz but still idledown to its 800MHz idle?

 

8700k

3200 32gb ddr4

ASUS Maximus XI hero wifi

360 AIO

it won't if you tweaked the settings right for the 5GHz you'd have turned off speed shift technology or SST.  You could try turning that back on in the bios but you may introduce instability

 With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

A i7 8700k will only boost to 4.7ghz because it is not a 5ghz CPU. To do that you need a i7 8086k that is a 5ghz CPU.

 

With that motherboard I would ditch that i7 8700k now and get a i9 9900k while they are still available. They are 5ghz and my i9 9900k can keep up to my 5800x in AAA games.

 

If you want to stick with the i7 8700k and have performance close to the new Ryzens it has to do an all core overclock. 

 

This is what I used way back in 2017 to get 5ghz all cores. It is for the X but should be the same for the XI.

 

 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5900X| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3080 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: SilverStone PF360-ARGB AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z390 Ultra | RAM: Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Cooler Master H500 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial P2 1TB  | SSD#2: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB | Monitor: LG 49" NanoCell 85

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Set core to 50 in bios with ur required voltage then in windows leave it in balanced power mode 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, DreamCat04 said:

It might need a load for it to boost up to 5 GHz. Try downloading HWInfo and see how high the Max gets. A processor that isn't Set to always be at it's Max frequency will stay Idle as long as there is no usage. But as soon as there is a load it'll go as high as needed and as high as possible(and set). Please don't just rely on me since I don't know too much about PC components behaviours and such

Thanks, I have HW Monitor and I need to pump up to 1.385v to run 5g with no avx offset. If you change windows to high performance mode it will sit at 5g no matter what I do, but when I change the power settings to anything else it only goes to 4.7

 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, jones177 said:

A i7 8700k will only boost to 4.7ghz because it is not a 5ghz CPU. To do that you need a i7 8086k that is a 5ghz CPU.

 

With that motherboard I would ditch that i7 8700k now and get a i9 9900k while they are still available. They are 5ghz and my i9 9900k can keep up to my 5800x in AAA games.

 

If you want to stick with the i7 8700k and have performance close to the new Ryzens it has to do an all core overclock. 

 

This is what I used way back in 2017 to get 5ghz all cores. It is for the X but should be the same for the XI.

 

 

I had the option at the time between the 8700k and 9900k and I didn't see the 9900k worth the 175$ jump in price. Now a days it is even more ridiculous, to the point unless I find one for $2-300 bucks I might as well wait for 12th gen and DDR5.

 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, Ebony Falcon said:

Set core to 50 in bios with ur required voltage then in windows leave it in balanced power mode 

Has this worked for you? I went to balanced power mode and it still only rises to 4.7, even with core value 50 and 1.385v.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Stueck0514 said:

I had the option at the time between the 8700k and 9900k and I didn't see the 9900k worth the 175$ jump in price. Now a days it is even more ridiculous, to the point unless I find one for $2-300 bucks I might as well wait for 12th gen and DDR5.

I think it is more than worth it.  A lot of games are using more cores now. 

At the beginning of 2019 when I built the i9 computer I tested it against my 5ghz i7 8086k and the frames were about the same. I ended up giving it to my Son to use for video editing.

In last part of 2020 the i9 started having blue screens with Premier so I replaced it with one of my i7 8086k computers while I fixed the i9.  To my surprise in testing the i9 kept up with the new 5800x at 1080p and the i7 8086k was about 8 frames down. Against my i9 10900k the 6 cores were 16 frames down. So I am done with Intel 6 cores and have built two 10 cores.

I ended up keeping the i9 9900k and gave my Son an i9 10900k to use. 

36 minutes ago, Stueck0514 said:

Has this worked for you? I went to balanced power mode and it still only rises to 4.7, even with core value 50 and 1.385v.

I use high performance with the i7s and i9s but balanced with the 10 cores.    

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5900X| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3080 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: SilverStone PF360-ARGB AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z390 Ultra | RAM: Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Cooler Master H500 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial P2 1TB  | SSD#2: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB | Monitor: LG 49" NanoCell 85

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×