I'm ditching Windows 100%, Win 11 has crippled VM performance on my laptop

Yeah, cheers Microsoft. The only thing that was holding me on Windows is the superior support for advanced sound stuff (my laptop uses Realtek with a dolby plugin and on Linux the sound is really tinny and flat).

I just trued to spin up a VM on my laptop, VB refuses to work at all and VMWare works but to say its slow is an understatement, systemd takes almost 1 minute to complete and (no joke) I just waited 25 minutes for it to extract a 250MB tarball (on an SSD). The exact same file on my desktop (running Arch using libvirt) takes less than 5 seconds.

As a test I fired up an Ubuntu VM I had installed before Win11 released (while on the release branch of WI) and it runs just as slowly, I know it was fine when I installed it so my only conclusion is that RTM 11 made my laptop unusable for VM'ing and since I value VMs over audio quality I'm moving over to Arch ASAP.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

sticking with win 10 not an option?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Seeing you posting this, it must be really bad. 

Microsoft has a long history of just talking hot air probably because they know that a significant portion of the industry is dependant on their software and now services too. 

A lot of their recent products and developments are things I'd expect from a new player to the scene, not a mature and established software/services vendor like Microsoft. 

Hopefully whatever happened to your system doesn't stay permanent. 

Best of luck, and I think, depending on your use-cases for your PC - ditching Windows might be beneficial in the long term.  Especially if it means you aren't slung around by Microsoft. 

22 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

sticking with win 10 not an option?

Sure, its an option, just not one I consider suitable 😄

14 minutes ago, Akolyte said:

Seeing you posting this, it must be really bad. 

It is worse that you can imagine, whilst extracting the tarball it was scrolling at a rate of 1 line per second. On my desktop it goes so fast you cannot even read it.

Microsoft has a long history of just talking hot air probably because they know that a significant portion of the industry is dependant on their software and now services too. 

A lot of their recent products and developments are things I'd expect from a new player to the scene, not a mature and established software/services vendor like Microsoft. 

Hopefully whatever happened to your system doesn't stay permanent. 

I'm almost entirely sure it is Win 11 but before I go nuclear I'll fire up an Arco live USB and test a few things out. Nothing else has changed since I last used VMWare other than Win 11 updated to the release build and I have a task called something like "VMSandbox" that was not running before. Its this whole VM Security thing MS implemented I reckon.

Best of luck, and I think, depending on your use-cases for your PC - ditching Windows might be beneficial in the long term.  Especially if it means you aren't slung around by Microsoft. 

Well the only reason I stuck to Windows was because of audio, my Realtek uses come proprietary Dolby plugin and without it running the sound is pretty bad. Since I mostly use my laptop for media consumption I considered good sound to be pretty high priority. I cannot live without VMs though.

Edit - Actually, now that I think about it, something else did change. I enabled WSL and installed the WSLg beta. I'll try turning WSL off but I doubt that would cause this behaviour (especially since I don't have anything installed with WSL ATM).

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Well the only reason I stuck to Windows was because of audio, my Realtek uses come proprietary Dolby plugin and without it running the sound is pretty bad. Since I mostly use my laptop for media consumption I considered good sound to be pretty high priority. I cannot live without VMs though.

In the most recent wan show:

He addressed how the audio has issues in linux, and said he will adress that in the video, maybe that'll help, and you can use that to fix the audio

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

In the most recent wan show:

He addressed how the audio has issues in linux, and said he will adress that in the video, maybe that'll help, and you can use that to fix the audio

I'll be sure to watch, if anybody can solve these issues it will be Anthony... Thanks 🙂 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

I have not but that would be a very interesting test. I'll do that later today, thanks.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, cheers Microsoft. The only thing that was holding me on Windows is the superior support for advanced sound stuff (my laptop uses Realtek with a dolby plugin and on Linux the sound is really tinny and flat).

Try EasyEffects a.k.a PulseEffect. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |