I3 8300

16 GB 2133 Hyper X Fury

Asus Prime b360m-a

1050TI MSI

120Gb SSD (boot)

250GB HDD

800 Watt ANTG

Huge Cyber Power PC case.

Ran ok but would always lock up randomly for about 5-10 seconds . gaming/Windows  sometimes alot sometimes a little . In my head I was thinking the power supply 

Ive been upgrading . First a 1080 does the same in the case of  of freezing.

Second/Third I bought a used 9900k and NVMe. 

My problem with the new processor is that it now random restarts . like the plug was pulled out. Most of the computer shutting of is when I load or play COD  . If i change render resolution from 150-200 its instant . For example I played last night for hour half no issues . Then 2 shut offs until i could play again. I

In windows it will shut off sometimes not as much.

after research I found out  the power supply is a cheap Chinese one  ( one that came with this case my guess.) 

I updated bios

graphics drivers.

out of curiosity I set bios to  auto power management and power saving mode.  Windows will not even boot up,(tried 20 times) but when I change the mother board back to performance power mode windows loads.

Any ideas? or test I can preform on the power supply . I don't think the CPU is bad because when it games its fine and kicks ass.

1. with i3-8100, random "freezes" for 5-10 seconds? Am I understanding that correctly? Then you upgraded to a GTX 1080, and it does the same thing?

2. Then you further upgraded to a 9900k and an NVME, correct? And now it is randomly restarting but mostly at load? Are you booting off the NVME now?

The power supply is a good start; even if you weren't having problems I'd upgrade to a reliable unit from the tier list in the PSU subforum. If that doesn't solve it, I would possibly try reseating your memory, reinstalling windows, and get some positive airflow over the motherboard VRMs.

The power delivery on that motherboard seems barely adequate for even the i3; let alone a 9900k.....if it wasn't restarting on the i3, the stuttering could be a USB hub/device issue, an audio driver issue, or even a bad SSD. But the restarts may in fact be related to overheating components on the power delivery.

asus_prime_b360m_a_lga_1151_1398146.jpg

This is a 3 +2 phase mobo if I'm not mistaken, with no cooling. A 9900k is gonna work that thing over. I find the lower you go on quality on the motherboard, the more problems people tend to have.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I boot off the SSD. I have taken out the NVMe to see if that changed anything , it did not . I have re seated the ram as well.. I dont know much about mother boards . I know it did say it was compatible. I was thinking a new PSU and new case with more fans to help cool. . You think the motherboard may bot supply sufficient power?   

it does shut off even if the computer was off all night and I load COD .. not sure how fast things can heat up or if that info helps.

Just now, PlumCrazy said:

I boot off the SSD. I have taken out the NVMe to see if that changed anything , it did not . I have re seated the ram as well.. I dont know much about mother boards . I know it did say it was compatible. I was thinking a new PSU and new case with more fans to help cool. . You think the motherboard may bot supply sufficient power?   

it does shut off even if the computer was off all night and I load COD .. not sure how fast things can heat up or if that info helps.

It's possible; that's the thing with troubleshooting, there are often a lot of overlapping symptoms that derive from different problems.

Download a program like HWInfo64 and try to find a motherboard temperature sensor on it - might be VRM - but again might be hard to identify if there is even a sensor since lower end boards tend to omit a lot of sensors.

Run HWInfo64 and load up a game and try to give us some screencaps from all the sensors

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Does your motherboard give you an option to disable Turbo Boost? If so, I'd give that a try and see if the system stops randomly crashing. The 9900K can pull over 140W at stock when it's boosting, which is way too much power for so few VRM modules to provide in general, let alone ones that don't even have a heat sink.

I will Download HWinfo641  and screen shot . Yes I can Disable turbo boost in bios . I will try that right now and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

I've had systems do similar strange things when the PSU was failing.  There are PSU testers out there that do basic voltage tests of the various connectors, like a multimeter would, but these generally don't test at different load levels.  If it were me, I'd just get a new PSU.

29 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

I will Download HWinfo641  and screen shot . Yes I can Disable turbo boost in bios . I will try that right now and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

for that vrm u'd wanna cap it to 95w max, my suggestion is 80w without direct airflow, and let it boost to whatever it does, hopefully around 4.3

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

You have two components that consume a lot of power now, the 9900k and the 1080.

The 9900k can peak at around 160 watts .. that's 160w / 12v = 13A

The 1080 can consume up to around 185 watts ... around 50w (around 5A) though the pci-e slot and 135w ( around 11A) through the 8 pin connectors.

So just for the CPU and video card, your power supply must be able to provide at least 13 + 5 + 11A of current on 12v.

For the cpu fan, extra fans, and some stuff on the motherboard assume another 2-3A of current on 12v is needed... so your power supply should be able to provide at least 32A of current on 12v  (32 x 12 = 384 watts)

Some power supplies have multiple rails, meaning the available power on 12v could be "separated" in multiple sections ... one section with a maximum amount of power for CPU cables, one section with a maximum of power for pci-e cables, another section for peripherals (24 pin and molex/sata) and so on. 

It could be your chinese power supply has 2 or more such rails and somehow your video card hits the limits of that rail and forces the power supply to shut down.

If it's a single rail power supply it could be the power supply can't supply that much current and shuts down.

It could be the power supply is actually lying on the label is capable of much less.

It could also simply be that the power supply doesn't like big fluctuations in power draw. for example video card jumping from consuming only 50-70w at low fps to suddenly consuming 150w at 2-300 fps or in some demanding game

You don't way what power supply you have you don't say the wattage, you don't say the most important stuff which is the actual current values on the label on the power supply - look at those or take a picture of that label and post it here.

But if you're not sure best solution is to replace the power supply with something from a brand name that cares about its reputation. For a system with a 9900k and a 1080, I would look at a psu rated for at least 600w from a brand name.

// if there's typos... sorry typing on my laptop in bad, too lazy to look at keys

1 hour ago, PlumCrazy said:

My problem with the new processor is that it now random restarts . like the plug was pulled out.

Which one?  Does it restart or shut down like the plug was pulled out?  These are two different things.

Fresh install of Windows?

or test I can preform on the power supply .

There really is no "end user test" for PSUs.

What do we need screenshots of on HWinfo641. Alot of info and tabs . also screen shot while at idle or COD loaded?

43 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

That PSU is eight years old.  It might be just.... you know.... dying.

When I turn turbo off  the computer is fine. I run COD max settings and 200% rendering and  cine-bench at same time in the  background ,non turbo .The computer handles it. ( To strain GPU/CPU at same time)

With turbo on and within Minutes usually less  seconds it just shuts off. I've tried both about 6 times each . Non turbo hasn't failed and turbo on fails every time doing both.

Either way im getting a new power supply . The question is that is it the PSU or motherboard?

How's the temperatures of the cpu and the motherboard vrm while you're doing that turbo thing? Could be the vrm or the cpu overheats.

If that isn't it, it's the power supply.

What CPU cooler?

4 hours ago, PlumCrazy said:

Either way im getting a new power supply

Brand and model?

On 10/13/2021 at 5:22 PM, jonnyGURU said:

That PSU is eight years old.  It might be just.... you know.... dying.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, Mister Woof said:

It's possible; that's the thing with troubleshooting, there are often a lot of overlapping symptoms that derive from different problems.

Download a program like HWInfo64 and try to find a motherboard temperature sensor on it - might be VRM - but again might be hard to identify if there is even a sensor since lower end boards tend to omit a lot of sensors.

Run HWInfo64 and load up a game and try to give us some screencaps from all the sensors

I Bought a new PSU 750 Watt EVGA Gold Semi Modular. I quoted both you guys hoping it send you a notification . 

Still with  turbo on and all  8 cores still just shuts off  under heavy load. With turbo off computer is still fine. (PSU can be ruled out)

I tried something else . I disabled 2 cores and left turbo on . So   at 6 cores/12 threads the computer turbos just fine under heavy load.

Quick sum up:

1   8 cores turbo on computer shuts of.

2   With turbo off 8 cores runs just fine.

3    6 core turbo on the computer is fine.

4   New PSU 750 Watt EVGA Gold

I'm thinking maybe the motherboard cant handle a 9900k? like Mister woof  said was a possibility . Even though its compatible a, 9900k and 1080 might be to much for a Asus Prime b360 m-a. I have zero knowledge  on overclocking or changing voltages etc...  But is their something i can tweak that might solve my problem? If it is the mother board .

I want  say thanks for the help  so far . A little bit of tips and info from everyone has helped .

On 10/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, PlumCrazy said:

What do we need screenshots of on HWinfo641. Alot of info and tabs . also screen shot while at idle or COD loaded?

temperatures of motherboard sensors

As to the above post - I think it might just be too much for that motherboard to handle at boost speeds. Sucks but I think the motherboard might be your problem.

Unfortunately it's not so easy to replace older intel motherboards; they tend to get expensive as they get older.

But is their something i can tweak that might solve my problem? If it is the mother board .

Again: what CPU cooler do you use?

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Again: what CPU cooler do you use?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black edition +  5   case fans .ill post my temps   What are the temp ranges I should look for that normal on CPU and mother board? 

Running Cine bench on 6/12 W turbo 

Mobo stays at 35C to 37C

CPU (weight): 36C

CPU (PECI) Goes to 90C for second then fan speeds up more and sits around 74C to 76C

CPU Sits around 62C to 63C

Need to do a 8/16 still

8/16 temps  when it start it shoots to 99C then fan get it down on the 6/12 test i should have left cine bench on longer  it seems to sit at 76C then go down to 68C

Mobo 38

CPU (weight) 38C

CPU (PECI) 68C

CPU 60C

here some screens with ir running for a bit on 8/16 cine bench

Temps 1.PNG

Temp 2.PNG

The motherboard is throtteling the cpu and the CPU cooler is not sufficient. Also using a tower cooler is not recommand on a motherboard with poor VRM and a power hungry CPU. In that case a decent top flow like the be quiet! Dark Rock TF is needed.

What you need is a decent Z370/390 motherboard and a huge CPU cooler.

10 hours ago, PlumCrazy said:

New PSU 750 Watt EVGA Gold

What exact model. EVGA lineup is a mess and can be good or bad.

I am learning about chip sets . I look for MOBO RN There is plenty online for 140$ range on amazon . PSU is  EVGA 750 GOLD  GQ.

Where can I find a list of chipsets?