How do I connect an Ethernet and a Wi-Fi connection to a windows laptop and use them both?

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

Correct.

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

I have an Ethernet cable coming to my laptop along with a WiFi connection i want to use both to do multiple internet intensive tasks at the same time. anyone know how?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

If they're coming from the same router, just use the Ethenet cable. It'll transfer a lot faster than going over WiFi, especially if the signal strength is poor. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

They are coming from different routers from different isps 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Any idea how I can use both, because connecting them to my laptops is easy

But I cannot send data over both of them simultaneously 

8 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

But I cannot send data over both of them simultaneously 

If you want to double your internet bandwidth, without a load balancer or channel bonding setup, you cant. If you have two different networks (meaning they run on different subnets) this only provides you with access to both networks from one device. Some apps like qbittorrent allows user to choose which NIC to use for transfering but other than that the one most apps dont.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you know specific traffic you want to send over the second connection you can create a static route on your machine to direct traffic to a specific IP Address (or range) over your 2nd connection..  Example, all traffic uses primary internet except for destination x.x.x.x.

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

If you want to double your internet bandwidth, without a load balancer or channel bonding setup, you cant. If you have two different networks (meaning they run on different subnets) this only provides you with access to both networks from one device. Some apps like qbittorrent allows user to choose which NIC to use for transfering but other than that the one most apps dont.

This.  There is no simple way to do this at home on a laptop.

TCP/IP Traffic isn't that smart, and unless you add fairly pricey hardware, you won't be "sharing" pipes like that.

so it is not possible unless i know what program sends what data where

Correct.

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

16 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Correct.

where can i check the price(note i am in india)

ok so that is just not happening because i will not spend that much to fix a not significant problem

19 hours ago, tkitch said:

Correct.

You absolutely do not need anything expensive, most if not all routers that are supported by OpenWRT can be used to load balance.  The caveat is this will only improve downloads as uploads will just randomly use one of the WANs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

36 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You absolutely do not need anything expensive, most if not all routers that are supported by OpenWRT can be used to load balance.  The caveat is this will only improve downloads as uploads will just randomly use one of the WANs.

u donot know the type of crappy proprietary router my isp is forcing me to use, i mean i india there are 2 main isp's, jiofiber and i-on, i have both, i-on lets me use my archer c5400, but jiofiber runs a wierd type of cable which will only connect to their own piece of crap router which is gigabit, but is crappy and cannot hande more than 3 devices without running into issues

i also have my 5tb hard drive attached to my c5400

2 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

u donot know the type of crappy proprietary router my isp is forcing me to use, i mean i india there are 2 main isp's, jiofiber and i-on, i have both, i-on lets me use my archer c5400, but jiofiber runs a wierd type of cable which will only connect to their own piece of crap router which is gigabit, but is crappy and cannot hande more than 3 devices without running into issues

I'm not saying your router will support it, most ISP provided routers don't support OpenWRT, at least not easily.

But the idea you need an expensive device to load balance several ISPs is not correct, although obviously it depends on what broadband speeds you're talking about.  Even a Raspberry Pi with a couple of USB ethernet adapters can do it.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

So I in theory cannot do anything without buying something as there is no software? Because I already have one Ethernet cable connected to my laptop from one isp and WiFi from the other 

3 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

So I in theory cannot do anything without buying something as there is no software? Because I already have one Ethernet cable connected to my laptop from one isp and WiFi from the other 

There is software, but that too is paid.  Windows itself doesn't seem to support the functionality natively, which is annoying as there's no good reason not to.

what software?

21 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

what software?

Speedify is one example, but if you have a spare PC pfSense is a way to do it without spending any money.

ok