Raspberry Pi to Car Stereo Harness

MrMiniBeast

Hi,

I'm planning on replacing my current car radio with a raspberry pi computer like thing. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to get audio from my pi to the car speakers. 

I was mainly trying to see if there's some sort of RCA harness adapter. Does anybody know where I can get one of these?

I have a Subaru Outback 2004 if that helps with anything.

Thanks

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

USB DAC and 3.5mm to RCA? RCA -> amp

Some DACs will also have RCA outputs already so you can pretty much bypass everything. 

Error: 410

Hi,

I'm planning on replacing my current car radio with a raspberry pi computer like thing. I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to get audio from my pi to the car speakers. 

I was mainly trying to see if there's some sort of RCA harness adapter. Does anybody know where I can get one of these?

I have a Subaru Outback 2004 if that helps with anything.

Thanks

I dont think those are made but what you could do is get an after market radio deck with the AUX on the back and front and plug the 3.5mm jack from the rasp pi to the  rear aux connector. You can also take the AUX port on the back of the new radio deck and move the cable anywhere in the car or where ever your raspberry pi is. You can get long aux cables on mono price for cheap thats where i got mine from.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

USB DAC and 3.5mm to RCA?

Some DACs will also have RCA outputs already. 

Will I be able to get the DAC to play through the car speakers? That's what I'm going for.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Will I be able to get the DAC to play through the car speakers? That's what I'm going for.

do you have them hooked up to an amplifier? 

if you're replacing your radio, you know something will have to power your speakers.

Yeah if you're ripping out your current stereo setup, you'll need a powered amp inbetween the Pi and the speakers.

If you're keeping the stereo, you could rig a passthrough but it will probably be easier to just get an amp in there.

OK that makes sense...

I'm new to a lot of this stuff and am still learning.

So could I hook the speakers and the pi up to the amp?

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I seen someone do an iPad and have it play through the speakers ... maybe this might help a little not to sure.

They did it on a Subaru Forester which should be the same thing as an outback.

Edit: it is on a Outback

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

OK that makes sense...

I'm new to a lot of this stuff and am still learning.

So could I hook the speakers and the pi up to the amp?

If you get an amp all the speakers for the car will have to be rewired to the amp best thing would be is to get a new radio deck with 3.5mm jacks. Im a car audio geek

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

If you get an amp all the speakers for the car will have to be rewired to the amp best thing would be is to get a new radio deck with 3.5mm jacks. Im a car audio geek

Alright...its just I'd have no idea what to look for in an radio deck

can you find me a cheap one that would do what i need? thanks

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Alright...its just I'd have no idea what to look for in an radio deck

can you find me a cheap one that would do what i need? thanks

Will you install the stereo yourself? This is what i use, Ive had no problems with it. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-150MP-Single-Stereo-Playback/dp/B0091V0A9U/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1397093268&sr=8-16&keywords=radio+with+rear+aux

I watched the video that Poohy14 posted and I looked it up on wikihow and I get how the amp would connect to the speakers.

Before I buy an amp though is there anything in particular I should look for? I want it to be dirt cheap but still work if at all possible.

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZA0JA5440&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Car+Amplifiers-_-9SIA0ZA0JA5440&ef_id=UsW57wAAAUxBjB39:20140410013627:s

To be honest I feel like that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to avoid buying an aftermarket radio so I'll look into the amp.

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

It would work

to clarify; it would work in the same way a Diablotek or Logisys PSU would power your PC and Toothpaste and Ketchup will cool it. 

(meaning fuck no)

you would need something like

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-R250X4-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00BF6HYAW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397095281&sr=8-5&keywords=4+channel+amp

or at the cheapest

http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-ZRX600-4-Car-Amplifier/dp/B007162ZEU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1397095281&sr=8-14&keywords=4+channel+amp

if you wanted to add a sub and save some cash at the same time, you could get a 5 channel amp.

Decent car audio isn't cheap, if you don't have the money to invest don't bother beyond stock.

If I understand correctly you want to use a raspberry pi as an ipod basically. All you need is a radio with an aux in. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/DEH-X3600UI-CD-RECEIVER-MIXTRAX-TM/dp/B00EF41GO6/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1397095308&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+car+stereo. And then just get a regular 3.5mm cable and plug it in. I think that if you were trying to do more of a "carputer" then maybe you should check out sites like http://www.mp3car.com/ . Hope its ok to link other forums.

My Timewaster: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz 1.19v, Asus P8Z77-V, Noctua NH-D14, Sapphire Radeon HD 7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengance, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, HAF 912, Logitech G710+, G700

I've been thinking about it and I'm starting to think the whole car-puter thing is just too expensive. What I may do instead is make a raspberry pi an FM transmitter and play my music that way...

I'd just need to learn how to code a pi

Linus Tech Tips Fan!