Is it worth considering an Apu if you alreayd have a low end card?

Pc6777

Not my build, but someone I know has a gtx 760 paired with an ancient dual core with hyperthrrading and 6 gigs of ram. Beacause the current market the gpu upgrade may wait a while, but a platform upgrade is kinda neccery. Is it worth considering an Apu or will even the best apus be a side grade compared to a gtx 760(2 gb version). I'm thinking if I don't go the Apu route maybe a 10th gen i3, but for an apu i would probably want a ryzen G CPU/apu.

a 760 will be better than apus. cant think of a good one that will beat a 760. i would get a ryzen 5 5600x or a i5 10400f, the latter of both is worse.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

a 760 will be better than apus. cant think of a good one that will beat a 760. i would get a ryzen 5 5600x or a i5 10400f, the latter of both is worse.

A 5600x would be a but overkill for this build, it's for 1080p 30-60 fps gaming, maybe a 2nd or 3rd gen Ryzen 5 depending on the price. Maybe the i5 if I can find a good deal on it because 12 threads will last a bit longer than 8 so it could be worth it for the sake of being able to wait longer to upgrade again.

6 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

Not my build, but someone I know has a gtx 760 paired with an ancient dual core with hyperthrrading and 6 gigs of ram. Beacause the current market the gpu upgrade may wait a while, but a platform upgrade is kinda neccery. Is it worth considering an Apu or will even the best apus be a side grade compared to a gtx 760(2 gb version). I'm thinking if I don't go the Apu route maybe a 10th gen i3, but for an apu i would probably want a ryzen G CPU/apu.

What is your current pc full specs?

What is your budget?

What is your country?

And yes a 760 is better than an amd apu

a GTX 760 is not a bad GPU, at least compared to basically every APU on the market. It may no longer have driver support, but for most games that doesn't matter yet, and probably not for another year or two. Just get an i3 10100F and low-end motherboard, and you should be good to go. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

a GTX 760 is not a bad GPU, at least compared to basically every APU on the market. It may no longer have driver support, but for most games that doesn't matter yet, and probably not for another year or two. Just get an i3 10100F and low-end motherboard, and you should be good to go. 

That's what I was thinking, cheap and it works and drives the 760, and a modern i3 could probably handle a decent gpu upgrade as well without being held back. Was hoping apus have gotten better, I guess not.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, it's basically a gtx 1050 

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your current pc full specs?

What is your budget?

What is your country?

And yes a 760 is better than an amd apu

The PC it's in is a dinosaur and is beyond upgrading, I think it uses ddr2

Just now, Pc6777 said:

The PC it's in is a dinosaur and is beyond upgrading, I think it uses ddr2

Full specs?

Dinosaur is not a full spec .-.

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Full specs?

Dinosaur is not a full spec .-.

I5 650 2 cores 4 threads, 6 gigs of ram(probably ddr2), gtx 760, and an evga w1 450 watt that will be replaced in new build. It's too old to upgrade, even if it could get more performance, it's just too old imo.

Is there a cheap Apu, with integrated graphics that can match at least a gt 1030, as a backup beacause the 760 is an old card

Just now, Pc6777 said:

I5 650 2 cores 4 threads, 6 gigs of ram(probably ddr2), gtx 760, and an evga w1 450 watt that will be replaced in new build. It's too old to upgrade, even if it could get more performance, it's just too old imo.

If the mobo is an oem pos then you are right but if its a non oem like asus, gigabyte, etc. Then you might be able to just upgrade to an x3440, upgrade the cooler, overclock, and just save up some more money for a real upgrade

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If the mobo is an oem pos then you are right but if its a non oem like asus, gigabyte, etc. Then you might be able to just upgrade to an x3440, upgrade the cooler, overclock, and just save up some more money for a real upgrade

It's a Dell and I put a new psu in it for the gtx 760(back then Dell wasn't as proprietary and used motherboards that didn't require special psus).

whats your budget?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, adarw said:

whats your budget?

Probably like 400ish with a new case and a 500 gig SSD for os and games I was thinking 

10th gen i3-100 dollars or 10th gen i5-160ish

Refurbished mobo sold by newegg-70

Decent psu that will last 10 years and room for upgrades-70

16 gigs ddr4-60

Case and fans-50

500 gig ssd-50

Might skip the SSD tho and reuse 120 gig SSD and HDD. Not that I think about it, an i5 would only add 60 dollars to the overall cost and make it a much better PC, any way to spend less and get more? Would it be worth going for a used 8th/9th gen cpu or Ryzen?

I already have a cpu cooler I can donate to this build